Cookies on fushi.co.uk
10 Things You Can Do To Protect Our Planet – Earth Month!
10 things you can do to protect our planet – Earth Month!
By Jade Ellis
April is Earth Month.
It’s time to make small changes that can help save our planet in a big way.
Earth month is the time to get the word out and support activism towards global environmental issues. Sometimes the urgency of this matter is not fully realised. This is why Earth day is a great way to remind ourselves of the importance of our planet, energy and water supply, biodiversity, habitat and environmental damage. We all need the motivation to want to help and change our world, and this month is time to be open to changing our ways - for the good of our planet! .
1. Give your car a break!
To save energy and reduce our carbon footprint it would be a good idea to cut down on the amount we all use cars. By using public transportation, carpooling, biking or walking, we can save energy and reduce carbon pollution and save energy. Leaving your car at home just two days a week can reduce carbon pollution by an average of two tons per year. Even small changes can make an impact.
Now that the days are getting longer and the temperature is warmer, why not make biking your main way of getting around? Biking will help you get in shape for spring and summer, and will also protect the environment too. You can travel thousands of miles by bicycle without creating air pollution. Believe it or not – If you biked to work rather than drove, you could save 407 gallons of gasoline each year – half the amount burned by a typical car.
3. Eat less meat and dairy!
Shifting to more plant-based foods is essential to combatting climate change, soil, air and water pollution, ocean dead zones, and myriad other problems caused by industrial livestock production. If we decide to eat fewer meals with meat or dairy each week, we can have a huge impact on our collective health and the health of the planet.
- - Commit to reducing your meat and dairy consumption by a few meals per week and tell five friends about your choice to find alternative proteins.
- - Make fresh fruits and vegetables a bigger part of your diet.
- - Buy sustainable or organic fresh produce whenever possible.
Composting your food and garden waste reduces the amount of rubbish you send to landfills and reduces carbon pollution. Using food and kitchen scraps, garden trimmings, and other organic waste to create a compost pile can also help increase soil water retention, decrease erosion, and replace chemical fertilizers.
5. Turn off the tap!
Conserving water helps to save energy and reduce carbon pollution. This can be as simple as turning off the tap while you brush your teeth. By doing this in the morning and evening, you can save up to 8 gallons of water. That adds up to more than 200 gallons a month! The solution really is the simplest things that we can do collectively to improve our planet.
By buying food and other products in reusable or recyclable packaging, we can reduce CO2 emissions by 230 pounds a year. At Fushi, we use simple measures like recycling our paper, creating a paperless office and switching off all our equipment when not in use can make a difference. We use low energy bulbs throughout, we recycle most of our waste including our paper, glass and card boxes, as well as plastic.
The most effective way to reduce waste is to avoid creating it in the first place. The process of making a new product creates carbon pollution. As a result, reduction and reuse are the most effective ways you can save natural resources, protect the environment, and save money. A tip is perhaps instead of discarding unwanted items – why not try selling or donating them? You will be not only reducing waste, but helping others too.
8. Go Organic!
"Organic" refers to an environmentally- and people-friendly way of farming and processing foods using no synthetic chemicals to control bugs or weeds. Organic farming usually involves farming methods that help conserve soil and protect water supplies. As pesticides aren’t used on plants and hormones aren’t fed to animals, organic farming is much safer and healthier for the environment.
9.Take a shower!
Try a short shower instead of a bath! Taking a shower uses much less water than filling up a bathtub. In fact, a shower only uses 10 to 25 gallons of water, while a bath uses up to 70 gallons! To save even more water and energy, keep your shower under five minutes long. Maybe try timing yourself next time you hop in!
10. Power down!
Powering down electronics not in use will help save you money and prevent carbon pollution. A few tips to do this is to turn off the lights, TV’s and any other appliances when you are not using them. Also whenever you leave the home, turn off the computers and unplug them!
If we all tried even one or two of these tips this month, we would save an amazing amount of energy! These issues are definitely helped when numbers increase. Let’s try and do our best to encourage each other this month to make better choices, and in turn to love our planet!
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you Emiliano for your comment. In this blog we are referring more to oils, more so than butters and while we agree with you Shea is an excellent emollient for hair, it's consistency is more buttery and it is used more as a leave-in remedy to smooth hair texture. We have suggested Coconut oil as it helps slow down hair loss by penetrating deep into your hair shaft to prevent protein loss, which in turn prevents breakage. When applied to your scalp, it simultaneously moisturises and removes build-up around your hair follicles to encourage hair growth and is one of base oils always used in Ayurveda for hair treatments. As this post is more focused for hair and not for skin, the comedogenic scale applies to skin/pores and not hair follicles. Thank you again for your feedback.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Hello Zu, yes hair loss can be very stressful and this in turn amplifies the cause almost.. Perhaps with Covid, your system may have been depleted of nutrients and fighting the virus can take its toll on your immune system, so sometimes our hair and skin suffer when we have been ill. We really believe in oils for scalp massage as the best way to revive the growth and help regenerate the follicles. It may be also worth at looking at internal supplements and making sure you are getting enough of omega oils, perhaps plant based such as nuts and seeds in your diet. For external oil treatment, would recommend the Really Good Hair oil which we create with Brahmi, this herb is known to help bring the scalp back to health and improve growth. Biotin is also a good vitamin to take as a supplement to help with hair growth so do look into that. So hope these tips will be helpful for you.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?I, am very surprised that your article did not include Organic Shea Butter and that coconut oil, is your number one choice for hair growth and thickness. According to the comedogenic scale, coconut oil, has a rating of (4), on a scale from (0), to (5), on clogging your pores. Why would anyone put coconut oil, on their hair or skin knowing the pores will get clogged up. Shea Butter, on the other hand has a (0), rating on the comedogenic scale, which is great for dry hair and skin and won't clog up your pores.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you for your very informative article. I suffered COVID in December, 2020, and in February I started experience extreme hair loss and all my hair jus falls like a person who is under going Chemo therapy. It's very depressing. Had to cut off all my hair and even the little that is left is falling off daily not sure what to do. Please suggest something.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) You can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning/during the day since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. You can also mix a few drops of Carrot Oil with your favorite face cream. You can do that at least twice a week or include it in your daily skincare routine. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Can I use the carrot oil in the day time? Because I am using Vitamin c serum in the night. Please advise. Thanks