Cookies on fushi.co.uk
5 natural remedies for constipation
While some ailments are easier to talk about in everyday conversations, they may not be as uncomfortable and widespread as constipation. Although most people don't like to discuss their bowel movements, everyone is affected by changes in them that can leave you feeling a bit worse for wear.
Not only can constipation be a bit embarrassing, it can also cause a lot of pain and be debilitating if it has affected you for an extended period of time. Luckily there are natural remedies that can help to stop you feeling backed up and reduce the amount of time you spend feeling constipated in the long run.
Increase your water intake
Drinking more water everyday - especially in the morning - can help to relieve constipation and stop you from suffering with it down the line. Water is important when it comes to flushing out toxins and keeping your body functioning correctly. Even if you drink other liquids throughout the day - such as fruit juice, tea or of fizzy drinks - you need to ensure you are getting plenty of water.
If you have felt constipated for a few days, try drinking a couple of glasses of water first thing in the mornings. This can help stop you feeling dehydrated and can also get things moving again.
Plenty of fibre
Including healthy fibre sources in your diet is the best way to ensure that you remain regular and can help stop you feeling constipated. Fibre helps to make your stool softer, meaning it is easier to pass.
While fibre is beneficial, getting too much can have adverse effects and cause stomach upset. You should try to build up the amount of fibre in your diet gradually until you are getting between 20 and 35 grams every day. Good sources of fibre include fruit, vegetables, beans and whole grains.
Add some oil
Including a bit more olive oil in your diet can help to get things moving again, as well as providing a healthy and delicious fat. The oil is not only lubricating, it also helps to get your digestive system working again, which is highly beneficial if you have been feeling the effects of constipation for several days.
You can either include more olive oil in your daily diet, which will help to stop you getting blocked up, or take the oil in the morning if you are already feeling constipated. Simply take a tablespoon of the oil first thing in the morning - it is best on an empty stomach - to get things in motion.
Perk up with coffee
Not only does a morning cup of coffee help to relieve tiredness, it can also help get your bowels moving. Having one or two cups of coffee in the morning can help to relieve the pressure brought on by constipation as the caffeine helps to get your digestive system working.
However, it is important that you don't overdo it with the coffee as too much can actually leave you feeling more constipated. This is because the caffeine causes dehydration, drawing water out of your body, which causes harder stools.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHello. Technically Ashwagandha should not have interactions with Hormone Replacement Therapy as it works on the body's stress response. That said, we always recommend people taking any medication to double check any interactions with their practitioner. Take care. :)
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHi, if I'm on hormone replacement therapy (estrogen and progesterone), can I also take this for menopause symptoms, stress, and brain fog issues associated with menopause?
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyHi Fred, Unfortunately, I am unable to advise on this since you are taking medication. Herbal remedies can interact with other drugs. You should approach any kind of supplement or medication with equal caution (prescription and non-prescription). It is best to seek advice from your GP.
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyIs it safe to take 500mg Ashwaganda once a day whilst taking fluoxetine 20mg Once a day?
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi Mercy, yes Carrot oil is usually made using carrot fruit infused in almond oil :) The oil should be stored in a cool, dark place to maintain the maximum shelf life. You can also store it in the refrigerator. It Will keep for 6-8 months if stored properly.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi, I made carrot oil from almond oil and carrot fruit, is it good? And how do I keep it to avoid spoilage