Cookies on fushi.co.uk
8 Great Reasons to Love Avocado
BY SOPHIE LEAVER
HEALTH & WELLBEING WRITER
The avocado is generally much loved by nutritionists, healthy eaters and brunch lovers across the world, and for good reason!
Not only is it delicious and creamy, but it is extremely healthy and unbelievably versatile. Not just a breakfast staple, it can also be mixed into baking and deserts, used in smoothies, slathered on your face as a skin-boosting mask, or can be the star of any salad. Here are eight reasons why you should include avocados in your diet.
- 1. Your heart will thank you
Avocados are one of the best sources of mono-saturated fats, which has been shown to reduce cholesterol and remove the build up of plaque that can lead to heart attacks. Over 75% of the fat content in avocados is good for your heart. Replacing your chemical-laden low fat spreads with avocado is one of the best heart-healthy diet changes you can make.
- 2. They help regulate blood sugar
The good fats in avocados can help reverse insulin resistance, in turn helping to regulate blood sugar levels. They also contain soluble fibre which helps maintain a steady blood sugar level.
- 3. They’ll help your skin glow
The healthy fats in avocado also contribute to an improved skin tone, by maintaining moisture levels in the epidermal layers of your skin. This helps your skin look soft, healthy and young. Omega 3 fatty acids can also help to reduce skin irritation by repairing damaged skin cells. Avocados also contain anti-oxidants, vitamin E and vitamin C, which help to create elastin and collagen, both which combat signs of ageing.
- 4. Weight-loss
Even though avocados are high in calories, studies have shown that the fatty acids are more likely to be used by the body as a slow burning energy, rather than stored as body fat. Avocados are filling, and can leave you satisfied for hours.
- 5. Brain Function
The high level of folate in avocados may help prevent the onset of conditions which may possibly lead to Alzheimer’s disease. Omega 3 and vitamin E have also been proven to help prevent the early onset and progression of the disease.
- 6. Protect your babies
Avocados are rich in folate, which is a B vitamin commonly known as folic acid. One cup of avocado provides around 23% of the recommended daily intake of this vitamin, which can help prevent birth defects in an unborn child.
- 7. Nutrient Absorption
The monosaturated fats in avocados assist the body to absorb fat-soluble nutrients. This means that when we combine avocados with other foods, such as in a salad, our bodies are able to make the most of the nutrients in all the ingredients.
- 8. It covers all bases!
The avocado contains fats, proteins, vitamins and minerals. It is packed with nutritional benefits, providing potassium, fibre and a host of vitamins. On top of this, it also provides all essential amino acids necessary for the body to form a complete protein. It is more easily absorbable than animal based proteins, and more easily incorporated into different types of diets. The avocado is creamy, delicious, and so versatile that it can become part of practically any dish. Grab a spoon and start reaping the endless benefits of the avocado!
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you for your very informative article. I suffered COVID in December, 2020, and in February I started experience extreme hair loss and all my hair jus falls like a person who is under going Chemo therapy. It's very depressing. Had to cut off all my hair and even the little that is left is falling off daily not sure what to do. Please suggest something.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) You can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning/during the day since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. You can also mix a few drops of Carrot Oil with your favorite face cream. You can do that at least twice a week or include it in your daily skincare routine. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Can I use the carrot oil in the day time? Because I am using Vitamin c serum in the night. Please advise. Thanks
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) Carrot Oil contains Beta Carotene and Vitamin A which, by eliminating toxic build-up and repairing sun-damaged skin, helps to improve skin complexion. Antiseptic properties also assist in reducing breakouts and the formation of acne. It is also great for hydrating the skin. So mixing it with Jojoba oil may help. I would also recommend mixing Jojoba oil and Tamanu oil as both have great moisturising properties and are great for acne prone skin. Hope this helps!
- Carrot Oil for Face I have acne. I have been using jojoba oil only but I noticed my face is sometimes dry. If I add carrot oil will it help moisturize my face and clear the spots or should I join argan oil to the mix?
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyI found a supplement that is 500 mg, 120 Count. Do you recommend taking 1 capsule daily? or 2 capsules? I also take thyroid medication and an SSRI among other things.