Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Avocados ’help fight ageing process’
They’re delicious in salads and an excellent source of ’good’ fats, and now it has been found that avocados can help fight disease and signs of ageing.
Research from the Universidad Michoacana de San Nicolas de Hidalgo in Mexico found avocado oil can protect the body’s cells against damaging free radicals, which attack lipids, proteins and DNA and in doing so contribute to the ageing process.
Free radicals are especially dangerous because they turn the energy producing part of cells - mitochondria - into free radicals too, a process that is associated with several diseases, from hypertension to diabetes.
Countless amounts of money are spent treating these illnesses, so if avocados can be used to help prevent or cure damage caused by free radicals, health systems around the world will be able to slash their spending accordingly.
The herbal oil is similar in composition to olive oil, which is widely used in Mediterranean countries and is said to be linked to low levels of chronic disease in these populations.
Lead researcher Christopher Cortes-Rojo said that avocado oil could become known as the olive oil of the Americas.
"Our results are promising because they indicate avocado consumption could improve the health status of diabetic and other patients," he commented.
"In some Mediterranean countries, low or almost no appearance of these kinds of diseases has been associated with the high olive oil consumption."
Previous research has found that avocados can lower the blood concentration of cholesterol and reduce certain fats that are increased in patients with diabetes and that can lead to stroke and heart attack.
Avocado is also great for soothing irritated skin as it contains vitamin E, which is great for producing healthy red blood cells and protecting the heart, as well as promoting healthy skin and hair.
Posted by Matilda Jones
- De-stress Skullcap & Lemon Balm Herbal Tincture Blend 100mlAs low as £20.00
- Women Plus Black Cohosh & Chasteberry Herbal Tincture 100mlAs low as £20.00
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Dear Fatima, thank you for your message. For your type of skin Almond oil is ok -- its comedogenic level is 2 out of 5, it means it's not going to clog your pores. If you are looking for something even lower on that scale, you should go for Argan, Rosehip, Grapeseed, Hemp -oil which are 0-1. I hope this helps.
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Hi, would it be advisable to use almond oil on acne prone skin. I have a little bit of acne but have lots of dark spots left by acne.
- Ashwagandha benefits for menThanks for this great article. I have begun to take Ashwagandha, and my husband asked if it might be good for him too. Looks like it is, so thank you for the info.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hi Lin, Fushi's pomegranate seed oil is a non-standardised, unrefined and natural oil. Each batch varies and displays a set of unique characteristics. This is simply down to our oils never being refined, deodorized or filtered.However, you will still be getting the same great quality and benefits from the oil.
- Carrot Oil for Face In the process of making In the process of making my carrot Oil today on low heat, the carrot turned brown unlike other days when I do it myself. Hope the oil will still work on my face and skin.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil my pomegranate seed oil is light golden color(not paler) could it be a good quality?