Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Beetroot ’enhances exercise performance’
Drumming up the energy needed to complete a workout or go for a jog can be tricky if you don’t have the right food to hand. Sometimes a piece of wholemeal toast or chocolate bar just doesn’t cut it.
But research has now suggested that munching on beetroot could give gym fans a quick boost and help enhance their performance.
A study carried at St Louis University in the US revealed that athletes ran a distance of five kilometres faster after eating the red root vegetable compared to when they snacked on cranberries.
Scientists said the reason behind this energy hike could be that beetroot is packed full of nitrates, which are known for their ability to increase exercise performance.
Lead author Margaret Murphy wrote in the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics journal: "Consumption of nitrate-rich whole beetroot improves running performance in healthy adults.
"Because whole vegetables have been shown to have health benefits, whereas nitrates from other sources may have detrimental health effects, it would be prudent for individuals seeking performance benefits to obtain nitrates from whole vegetables, such as beetroot."
It is not the first time beetroot has been championed as an essential part of a healthy living diet, with studies in the past showing that beetroot juice can lower blood pressure within 24 hours by raising the levels of nitric oxide in the circulation.
Author of a 2010 UK study Professor Amrita Ahluwalia commented: "We also found that only a small amount of juice is needed - just 250ml - to have this effect, and that the higher the blood pressure at the start of the study the greater the decrease caused by the nitrate."
Other herbal supplements and products said to have a positive effect on health are flax seed oil, which contains compounds that regulate blood pressure, clotting and heart rate, and ginko biloba, which is believed to help support the blood circulation around the body.
Posted by Matilda Jones
- Coconut Organic Oil Virgin Fresh-PressedAs low as £6.00 Regular Price £6.00
- Carrot Oil for Face Which essential oil is best mix with carrot oil for face and body
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi Praise, Carrot oil, which is a carrier oil does have a slight ability to protect skin from the sun. However, it does not clear sunburn from your face or any of the oils you have mentioned. Coconut oil, Aloe Vera or Calendula oil might help. You can also apply essential oils that help sooth sun burn with either jojoba oil or sweet almond oil. The best essential oils for this would be lavender or peppermint. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Please, can I mix tumeric oil, carrot oil, jojoba oil and sweet almond to clear sunburn on my face
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi D, indeed there is conflicting information on whether Shatavari can be taken during pregnancy or not. Some studies showed that Shatavari can affect milk supply during lactation, and that Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) has possible teratogenicity so it should be avoided in pregnancy. Other studies showed that Shatavari is an ingredient in most herbal teas which are recommended to be taken during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I would recommend that you consult your GP or a qualified herbalist who deals with pregnant women before taking anything, in case you are already taking some supplements/ drugs or herbs to help with your pregnancy.
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi, there's conflicting information whether this can still be taking during pregnancy. What do you suggest as I use your brand and trying to conceive?
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Dear Fatima, thank you for your message. For your type of skin Almond oil is ok -- its comedogenic level is 2 out of 5, it means it's not going to clog your pores. If you are looking for something even lower on that scale, you should go for Argan, Rosehip, Grapeseed, Hemp -oil which are 0-1. I hope this helps.