Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Beetroot ’enhances exercise performance’
Drumming up the energy needed to complete a workout or go for a jog can be tricky if you don’t have the right food to hand. Sometimes a piece of wholemeal toast or chocolate bar just doesn’t cut it.
But research has now suggested that munching on beetroot could give gym fans a quick boost and help enhance their performance.
A study carried at St Louis University in the US revealed that athletes ran a distance of five kilometres faster after eating the red root vegetable compared to when they snacked on cranberries.
Scientists said the reason behind this energy hike could be that beetroot is packed full of nitrates, which are known for their ability to increase exercise performance.
Lead author Margaret Murphy wrote in the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics journal: "Consumption of nitrate-rich whole beetroot improves running performance in healthy adults.
"Because whole vegetables have been shown to have health benefits, whereas nitrates from other sources may have detrimental health effects, it would be prudent for individuals seeking performance benefits to obtain nitrates from whole vegetables, such as beetroot."
It is not the first time beetroot has been championed as an essential part of a healthy living diet, with studies in the past showing that beetroot juice can lower blood pressure within 24 hours by raising the levels of nitric oxide in the circulation.
Author of a 2010 UK study Professor Amrita Ahluwalia commented: "We also found that only a small amount of juice is needed - just 250ml - to have this effect, and that the higher the blood pressure at the start of the study the greater the decrease caused by the nitrate."
Other herbal supplements and products said to have a positive effect on health are flax seed oil, which contains compounds that regulate blood pressure, clotting and heart rate, and ginko biloba, which is believed to help support the blood circulation around the body.
Posted by Matilda Jones
- Wholefood Multi Essentials Vitamin Complex20% OFFSpecial Price £12.79 Regular Price £16.00
- Pure MCT Coconut Oil 100ml Fresh-Pressed (Organic)20% OFFSpecial Price £8.00 Regular Price £10.00
- Coconut Organic Oil Virgin Fresh-Pressed20% OFFAs low as £4.80 Regular Price £6.00
- Goji Berry Superfood Powder20% OFF
- Argan Moroccan Organic Oil Virgin 100ml Fresh-pressed20% OFFSpecial Price £12.80 Regular Price £16.00
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) Carrot Oil contains Beta Carotene and Vitamin A which, by eliminating toxic build-up and repairing sun-damaged skin, helps to improve skin complexion. Antiseptic properties also assist in reducing breakouts and the formation of acne. It is also great for hydrating the skin. So mixing it with Jojoba oil may help. I would also recommend mixing Jojoba oil and Tamanu oil as both have great moisturising properties and are great for acne prone skin. Hope this helps!
- Carrot Oil for Face I have acne. I have been using jojoba oil only but I noticed my face is sometimes dry. If I add carrot oil will it help moisturize my face and clear the spots or should I join argan oil to the mix?
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyI found a supplement that is 500 mg, 120 Count. Do you recommend taking 1 capsule daily? or 2 capsules? I also take thyroid medication and an SSRI among other things.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHello Dia, Thank you for your comment. Research is confusing when it comes to testosterone levels with PCOS and using Ashwagandha. As it is an adaptogenic herb, it will 'adapt' to the environment of the body to support hormonal balance. A huge therapeutic benefit of Ashwagandha is its ability to balance cortisol levels, which could improve stress and symptoms of PCOS also. If you are currently using any medications or under medical supervision, please seek advice from your practitioner to ensure there are no interactions. I hope this helps :)
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenIs ashwagandha is good to be taken to increase height who have testosterone level high along with pcod ?
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHi Simie, thank you for your message. Ashwagandha is safe to be taken alongside other supplements including Vitamin E and Calcium. We would advise you check with your GP for interactions with estrogen medications for menopause as there are different variations of these medications. I hope this helps :)