Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Beetroot ’enhances exercise performance’
Drumming up the energy needed to complete a workout or go for a jog can be tricky if you don’t have the right food to hand. Sometimes a piece of wholemeal toast or chocolate bar just doesn’t cut it.
But research has now suggested that munching on beetroot could give gym fans a quick boost and help enhance their performance.
A study carried at St Louis University in the US revealed that athletes ran a distance of five kilometres faster after eating the red root vegetable compared to when they snacked on cranberries.
Scientists said the reason behind this energy hike could be that beetroot is packed full of nitrates, which are known for their ability to increase exercise performance.
Lead author Margaret Murphy wrote in the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics journal: "Consumption of nitrate-rich whole beetroot improves running performance in healthy adults.
"Because whole vegetables have been shown to have health benefits, whereas nitrates from other sources may have detrimental health effects, it would be prudent for individuals seeking performance benefits to obtain nitrates from whole vegetables, such as beetroot."
It is not the first time beetroot has been championed as an essential part of a healthy living diet, with studies in the past showing that beetroot juice can lower blood pressure within 24 hours by raising the levels of nitric oxide in the circulation.
Author of a 2010 UK study Professor Amrita Ahluwalia commented: "We also found that only a small amount of juice is needed - just 250ml - to have this effect, and that the higher the blood pressure at the start of the study the greater the decrease caused by the nitrate."
Other herbal supplements and products said to have a positive effect on health are flax seed oil, which contains compounds that regulate blood pressure, clotting and heart rate, and ginko biloba, which is believed to help support the blood circulation around the body.
Posted by Matilda Jones
- Carrot Oil for Face Thank you for your message. Cold pressed carrot oil protects and preserves the nutrients of the carrots. Since the cold press presses the produce to extract the oil, no heat is involved. ... You get 100% of the vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and nutrients when you apply cold pressed oil on your face. Frying grated carrots which involves heat and oil will remove some of those nutrients. Hope this helps.
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyVery well written article indeed. Thank you for elaborating on so many levels and aspects of it.
- Carrot Oil for Face hello there, must i used only cold-pressed carrot oil on my face? Does frying the grated carrots in coconut oil still maintain the nutrients necessary for the face?
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Dear Rose, Thank you for your message. You can mix equal amounts of Pomegranate seed oil and Rosehip oil.You can add 3-4 drops from each, mix and apply on your face. Hope this helps.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hello Fushi, could you Kindly advise exactly how many drops of oil should I use to mix to mix pomegranate and rosehip oil?
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Hello Asma, Thank you for your message. Being a carrier oil, Pomegranate oil is safe to apply on the skin without dilution. However, because of its richness it is often used at dilutions of approximately 5-15% in skincare formulations. Combining Rosehip oil and pomegranate oil will give you a deeply nourishing blend of particularly antioxidant- and vitamin rich oils. It may also support scars, wrinkles and premature ageing. Hope this helps.