Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Could turmeric tackle your health problems?
With healthy living on many people’s minds now that spring has sprung and the time for wearing a bikini is rapidly approaching, lots of us will be considering making changes to our diet.
According to herbalist and nutritional therapist Andrew Johnson, the best way to start is to boost the immune system to stave off illnesses, and there are herbal supplements available to help get good results.
"[A] good one would be to consider turmeric. It’s pretty safe for most people, though if anyone’s on prescription medicine they need to check with their doctor to make sure it’s alright," he commented.
The herb has been used for more than 4,000 years to treat all sorts of ailments, from stomach problems to skin diseases and wounds.
Under Ayurvedic and Chinese traditional medicine, the bright yellow foodstuff is thought to be an effective anti-inflammatory, so is often used to combat digestive and liver conditions.
"Turmeric is something of a panacea for the immune system, detox and stuff like that. It’s a pretty amazing thing, so that’s another one I’d recommend people consider," Mr Johnson said.
"People will probably get a better effect if they take it in capsules rather than cooked, but it also works in cooking. Add it to the end of cooking if you like, so it’s not heated so much."
The active ingredient curcumin, which is found in the roots and bulbs of the turmeric plant, is also known to have antioxidant properties and these fight free radicals in the body.
Turmeric can also be used as a natural beauty product, as actress Thandie Newton has shown.
Speaking last week, the former ER star explained that she adds the spice to her moisturiser to help match her skin tone.
"That’s a great trick for all women who find that foundations are too ashy or too pink for their skin. And it’s anti-inflammatory as well. It really is my secret beauty weapon," she said.
Posted by Matilda Jones
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hi Lin, Fushi's pomegranate seed oil is a non-standardised, unrefined and natural oil. Each batch varies and displays a set of unique characteristics. This is simply down to our oils never being refined, deodorized or filtered.However, you will still be getting the same great quality and benefits from the oil.
- Carrot Oil for Face In the process of making In the process of making my carrot Oil today on low heat, the carrot turned brown unlike other days when I do it myself. Hope the oil will still work on my face and skin.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil my pomegranate seed oil is light golden color(not paler) could it be a good quality?
- Carrot Oil for Face If cooking is not recommended, so what is recommended. Cause most people cooked it
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenDear Amanda, thank you for your message. There should not be interactions between Ashwagandha and tamoxifen. However, I would recommend that you consult a proper herbalist or your GP before staring to take this herb. Herbal remedies act differently on people. I hope this helps.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenIs this supplement safe for women who have had ER+ breast cancer I've been on tamoxifen for 2 years and it pushed me head first into horrendous menopausal symptoms which show no sign of waning I am looking for something natural to help with stress sleep issues and increase my energy