Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Divorce can cause hair loss, study suggests
Going through stressful life changes such as divorce can cause women to suffer from hair loss, new research suggests.
According to a study from the Case Western Reserve School of Medicine, women who have lost a spouse or partner through divorce or death are far more likely to suffer from thinning hair compared to women who are in a happy marriage or those that are single.
Researchers studied 84 female identical twins, testing the level of hormones in their blood and extensively analysing photos of their hair.
The study said using identical twins was important because each twin carries the same genes as their sibling, which enables researchers to rule out genetic differences as a potential reason for losing hair.
Dr Bahman Guyuron, chairman of the department of plastic surgery at Case Western Reserve School of Medicine and author of the report, pointed out that the way in which a woman’s marital status affects her state of mind is key to understanding the reasons why divorce may cause hair loss.
"Most likely, stress is the aspect of a troubling divorce that appears to lead to hair loss among women," he said.
"What we can say is that we identified factors that appear to both raise risk and lower risk, for both men and women, independent of genetic disposition."
Habits that contradict healthy living advice such as smoking and excessive alcohol consumption were also found to contribute to hair loss among women, the survey revealed.
Researchers found that across the temporal area of the head, near the temples, the greater the number of years the woman had smoked, the greater the extent of the hair loss she experienced.
A history of skin conditions was also found to contribute to hair loss across the temporal areas of the head.
Women suffering from hair loss can choose from a range of organic hair care products designed to promote new hair growth.
Fushi’s stimulator herbal shampoo contains natural ingredients such as rosemary, cinnamon and lavender to boost circulation to the scalp and nourish hair follicles.
Posted by Laura Andrews
- Stimulator Hair Lotion 50ml£15.00
- Skin, Hair & Nails Herbal Tincture Blend 100mlAs low as £20.00
- Really Good Hair Oil 100ml£18.00
- Wholefood Beauty Totale for Skin Hair Nails and UV protectionAs low as £16.00
- Carrot Oil for Face Which essential oil is best mix with carrot oil for face and body
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi Praise, Carrot oil, which is a carrier oil does have a slight ability to protect skin from the sun. However, it does not clear sunburn from your face or any of the oils you have mentioned. Coconut oil, Aloe Vera or Calendula oil might help. You can also apply essential oils that help sooth sun burn with either jojoba oil or sweet almond oil. The best essential oils for this would be lavender or peppermint. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Please, can I mix tumeric oil, carrot oil, jojoba oil and sweet almond to clear sunburn on my face
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi D, indeed there is conflicting information on whether Shatavari can be taken during pregnancy or not. Some studies showed that Shatavari can affect milk supply during lactation, and that Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) has possible teratogenicity so it should be avoided in pregnancy. Other studies showed that Shatavari is an ingredient in most herbal teas which are recommended to be taken during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I would recommend that you consult your GP or a qualified herbalist who deals with pregnant women before taking anything, in case you are already taking some supplements/ drugs or herbs to help with your pregnancy.
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi, there's conflicting information whether this can still be taking during pregnancy. What do you suggest as I use your brand and trying to conceive?
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Dear Fatima, thank you for your message. For your type of skin Almond oil is ok -- its comedogenic level is 2 out of 5, it means it's not going to clog your pores. If you are looking for something even lower on that scale, you should go for Argan, Rosehip, Grapeseed, Hemp -oil which are 0-1. I hope this helps.