Cookies on fushi.co.uk
How can you aid digestion?
Certain lifestyle choices or foods are known to contribute to poor digestion, however many of these symptoms can be remedied.
What are the causes of poor digestion?
Digestion involves an energy-rich process which demands a lot of nutrition, hydration and a calm state to work effectively, according to Charlotte Watts, a nutritional therapist and author of The De-Stress Diet - www.de-stressyourlife.com.
One of the main disruptions to digestion can be stress, which Ms Watts claims "quickly diverts these away to muscles and the brain, leaving food partially digested and contributing to digestive symptoms such as indigestion, IBS and bloating".
Other factors which can get in the way of effective digestion include high sugar levels, and a lack of soluble fibre found in vegetables, both problems which can "disrupt the balance of beneficial bacteria (probiotics) in the gut which keep it - and immunity and detoxification - in balance", she explained.
How can these be remedied?
One way to help ensure food is digested better is to practice mindful eating.
This means eating away from a desk at work and sitting down to eat and chew food thoroughly.
Ms Watts warns that by eating on the go or while upright "energy is rerouted to the postural muscles you need to stand," meaning it is diverted away from the digestive process.
Eating a high number of fibre rich food can help the body’s digestion run smoother, however psychological issues such as stress should not be ignored.
This could be reduced by eating outside or in a calm, relaxing space without distraction, or could be aided by post-meal meditation, allowing the body to unwind and let go of everyday stresses, strains and negative thoughts.
Posted by Freya Harper
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) Carrot Oil contains Beta Carotene and Vitamin A which, by eliminating toxic build-up and repairing sun-damaged skin, helps to improve skin complexion. Antiseptic properties also assist in reducing breakouts and the formation of acne. It is also great for hydrating the skin. So mixing it with Jojoba oil may help. I would also recommend mixing Jojoba oil and Tamanu oil as both have great moisturising properties and are great for acne prone skin. Hope this helps!
- Carrot Oil for Face I have acne. I have been using jojoba oil only but I noticed my face is sometimes dry. If I add carrot oil will it help moisturize my face and clear the spots or should I join argan oil to the mix?
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyI found a supplement that is 500 mg, 120 Count. Do you recommend taking 1 capsule daily? or 2 capsules? I also take thyroid medication and an SSRI among other things.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHello Dia, Thank you for your comment. Research is confusing when it comes to testosterone levels with PCOS and using Ashwagandha. As it is an adaptogenic herb, it will 'adapt' to the environment of the body to support hormonal balance. A huge therapeutic benefit of Ashwagandha is its ability to balance cortisol levels, which could improve stress and symptoms of PCOS also. If you are currently using any medications or under medical supervision, please seek advice from your practitioner to ensure there are no interactions. I hope this helps :)
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenIs ashwagandha is good to be taken to increase height who have testosterone level high along with pcod ?
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHi Simie, thank you for your message. Ashwagandha is safe to be taken alongside other supplements including Vitamin E and Calcium. We would advise you check with your GP for interactions with estrogen medications for menopause as there are different variations of these medications. I hope this helps :)