Cookies on fushi.co.uk
How to stop the middle age spread
As we get older, we find ourselves making more excuses for not attending big meals out, refusing seconds at dinner parties and declining celebratory cake because we’re worried it takes longer to work off those extra pounds than it did 20 years ago.
Anna Mason, the founder of Distance Dieters, said there are many reasons why we tend to gain weight as we age, including a slowing metabolism, a change in hormones and an increasingly sedentary life.
"However, there is one further important piece of the jigsaw," she commented.
"By eating just a little too much, over time, there will be a weight gain. Say for example that at the age of 20 an individual’s Body Mass Index was within the healthy range. By eating a little too much and gaining just 1lb each year, by the time this individual is 50 years old there will have been a 30lb weight gain."
In this sense, middle age spread is a fallacy, added Ms Mason.
However, there are proactive steps we can take to ensure our spare tyre stays more bicycle than monster truck, including eating little and often to kickstart the metabolism.
Exercising each day is also advised, because this too will speed up our metabolism - just a 15-minute brisk walk, jog or cycle every day can help.
"Eating ’real’ food will help keep the bulge at bay. Eating fresh vegetables, fruit, lean meat and fish and drinking plenty of water will provide much needed energy for regular exercise, improve sleep and boost vitality," said the healthy living expert.
Try to cut out any processed foods, such as biscuits, cake, sugary snacks and drinks, white bread and pasta, while alcohol should be avoided if you want to slim down to a healthier weight.
Posted by Freya Harper
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hi Lin, Fushi's pomegranate seed oil is a non-standardised, unrefined and natural oil. Each batch varies and displays a set of unique characteristics. This is simply down to our oils never being refined, deodorized or filtered.However, you will still be getting the same great quality and benefits from the oil.
- Carrot Oil for Face In the process of making In the process of making my carrot Oil today on low heat, the carrot turned brown unlike other days when I do it myself. Hope the oil will still work on my face and skin.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil my pomegranate seed oil is light golden color(not paler) could it be a good quality?
- Carrot Oil for Face If cooking is not recommended, so what is recommended. Cause most people cooked it
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenDear Amanda, thank you for your message. There should not be interactions between Ashwagandha and tamoxifen. However, I would recommend that you consult a proper herbalist or your GP before staring to take this herb. Herbal remedies act differently on people. I hope this helps.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenIs this supplement safe for women who have had ER+ breast cancer I've been on tamoxifen for 2 years and it pushed me head first into horrendous menopausal symptoms which show no sign of waning I am looking for something natural to help with stress sleep issues and increase my energy