Cookies on fushi.co.uk
How to stop the middle age spread
As we get older, we find ourselves making more excuses for not attending big meals out, refusing seconds at dinner parties and declining celebratory cake because we’re worried it takes longer to work off those extra pounds than it did 20 years ago.
Anna Mason, the founder of Distance Dieters, said there are many reasons why we tend to gain weight as we age, including a slowing metabolism, a change in hormones and an increasingly sedentary life.
"However, there is one further important piece of the jigsaw," she commented.
"By eating just a little too much, over time, there will be a weight gain. Say for example that at the age of 20 an individual’s Body Mass Index was within the healthy range. By eating a little too much and gaining just 1lb each year, by the time this individual is 50 years old there will have been a 30lb weight gain."
In this sense, middle age spread is a fallacy, added Ms Mason.
However, there are proactive steps we can take to ensure our spare tyre stays more bicycle than monster truck, including eating little and often to kickstart the metabolism.
Exercising each day is also advised, because this too will speed up our metabolism - just a 15-minute brisk walk, jog or cycle every day can help.
"Eating ’real’ food will help keep the bulge at bay. Eating fresh vegetables, fruit, lean meat and fish and drinking plenty of water will provide much needed energy for regular exercise, improve sleep and boost vitality," said the healthy living expert.
Try to cut out any processed foods, such as biscuits, cake, sugary snacks and drinks, white bread and pasta, while alcohol should be avoided if you want to slim down to a healthier weight.
Posted by Freya Harper
- Carrot Oil for Face Which essential oil is best mix with carrot oil for face and body
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi Praise, Carrot oil, which is a carrier oil does have a slight ability to protect skin from the sun. However, it does not clear sunburn from your face or any of the oils you have mentioned. Coconut oil, Aloe Vera or Calendula oil might help. You can also apply essential oils that help sooth sun burn with either jojoba oil or sweet almond oil. The best essential oils for this would be lavender or peppermint. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Please, can I mix tumeric oil, carrot oil, jojoba oil and sweet almond to clear sunburn on my face
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi D, indeed there is conflicting information on whether Shatavari can be taken during pregnancy or not. Some studies showed that Shatavari can affect milk supply during lactation, and that Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) has possible teratogenicity so it should be avoided in pregnancy. Other studies showed that Shatavari is an ingredient in most herbal teas which are recommended to be taken during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I would recommend that you consult your GP or a qualified herbalist who deals with pregnant women before taking anything, in case you are already taking some supplements/ drugs or herbs to help with your pregnancy.
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi, there's conflicting information whether this can still be taking during pregnancy. What do you suggest as I use your brand and trying to conceive?
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Dear Fatima, thank you for your message. For your type of skin Almond oil is ok -- its comedogenic level is 2 out of 5, it means it's not going to clog your pores. If you are looking for something even lower on that scale, you should go for Argan, Rosehip, Grapeseed, Hemp -oil which are 0-1. I hope this helps.