Cookies on fushi.co.uk
How to stop the middle age spread
As we get older, we find ourselves making more excuses for not attending big meals out, refusing seconds at dinner parties and declining celebratory cake because we’re worried it takes longer to work off those extra pounds than it did 20 years ago.
Anna Mason, the founder of Distance Dieters, said there are many reasons why we tend to gain weight as we age, including a slowing metabolism, a change in hormones and an increasingly sedentary life.
"However, there is one further important piece of the jigsaw," she commented.
"By eating just a little too much, over time, there will be a weight gain. Say for example that at the age of 20 an individual’s Body Mass Index was within the healthy range. By eating a little too much and gaining just 1lb each year, by the time this individual is 50 years old there will have been a 30lb weight gain."
In this sense, middle age spread is a fallacy, added Ms Mason.
However, there are proactive steps we can take to ensure our spare tyre stays more bicycle than monster truck, including eating little and often to kickstart the metabolism.
Exercising each day is also advised, because this too will speed up our metabolism - just a 15-minute brisk walk, jog or cycle every day can help.
"Eating ’real’ food will help keep the bulge at bay. Eating fresh vegetables, fruit, lean meat and fish and drinking plenty of water will provide much needed energy for regular exercise, improve sleep and boost vitality," said the healthy living expert.
Try to cut out any processed foods, such as biscuits, cake, sugary snacks and drinks, white bread and pasta, while alcohol should be avoided if you want to slim down to a healthier weight.
Posted by Freya Harper
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) yes, our cold pressed carrot oil can be used on both the face and body. You can add few drops of Carrot oil to your body cream.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) yes you can mix few drops of carrot oil with Shea butter and apply it as hair mask. It is thought to bring balance in moisture for hair as a conditioning agent. Shea Butter and Carrot Oil works extremely well as a hair softening mask, especially to comfort sensitive, aging skin during cold winter climates and extreme dry heat.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello can I mix carrot oil and Shea butter and apply on my hair
- Carrot Oil for Face Can i use cold pressed carrot oil as my face and body cream
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) you can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello, You can for sure mix carrot and papaya oil together. I will help reduce hyperpigmentation :)