Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Medic highlights importance of healthy living
A health expert as highlighted the importance of healthy living amid the UK’s much-publicised obesity epidemic.
Dr Hillary Jones, a spokesman for the Time to Tackle Your Health Campaign, pointed out that average food portion sizes are getting bigger and appetites are lacking in restraint, which is causing people to develop a range of serious health problems.
People are also eating energy dense diets and consuming unhealthy fast food such as processed beef burgers and fries, which is exacerbating the problem, Dr Jones explained.
He urged people to keep their weight in check by consuming smaller portions, eating foods that contain fewer carbohydrates and less saturated fat, and exercising more.
"It really isn’t rocket science; this is possible," Dr Jones commented. "It just takes an element of motivation to start doing it for a month or so and then you are in the groove."
As well as improving their diets to include more healthy foods such as fresh foods and vegetables, consumers can also take nutritional supplements in order to boost their intake of essential vitamins that may be lacking from their day to day diet.
In addition to this, herbal supplements can be included into diets for their antioxidant properties, which are ideal for preventing diseases.
A recent survey conducted by Pulse Today found that a range of nutritional supplements are being rationed within the NHS, with many patients being denied access to them.
The survey, which questioned around 300 UK-based general practitioners, found that restrictions on GP referrals have become so stringent that the number of patients referred from GPs to hospitals in one area of the UK has dropped by 37 per cent in the first quarter of 2011 compared with the previous year.
Posted by Matilda Jones
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyHi Fred, Unfortunately, I am unable to advise on this since you are taking medication. Herbal remedies can interact with other drugs. You should approach any kind of supplement or medication with equal caution (prescription and non-prescription). It is best to seek advice from your GP.
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyIs it safe to take 500mg Ashwaganda once a day whilst taking fluoxetine 20mg Once a day?
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi Mercy, yes Carrot oil is usually made using carrot fruit infused in almond oil :) The oil should be stored in a cool, dark place to maintain the maximum shelf life. You can also store it in the refrigerator. It Will keep for 6-8 months if stored properly.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi, I made carrot oil from almond oil and carrot fruit, is it good? And how do I keep it to avoid spoilage
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHello :) There are no studies that indicates negative effects on femininity and hirsutism on women. Studies have shown that Ashwagandha is a magical herb for women of all ages and the benefits for women are plenty. When consumed regularly, it can have a positive effect on physical and mental health. Hope this helps.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenI have heard that using this herb cause negative effects on femininity and some times produces hair on face of woman.