Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Mums to be ’should go organic’
Living a healthy lifestyle is more important than ever for pregnant women, and diet should be a major consideration.
But aside from eating a balance of carbohydrates, proteins, good fats and fresh fruit and vegetables, it's also important to consider how these foods have been processed.
Holistic nutritionist and television presenter Gillian McKeith said eating the right foods during pregnancy is not so different from eating the right foods at any other time of life.
However, she pointed out that because many toxins can cross into the placenta, women need to take extra care to avoid foods with artificial additives when they're expecting.
"Organic foods should be eaten wherever possible to reduce toxin intake," she remarked.
"In particular animal products such as meat, poultry, eggs and dairy product should be from organically reared and free range animals."
She suggested visiting farm shops and farmer's markets to pick up some quality organic produce, or to take advantage of box schemes delivered to the door.
If you're pregnant and on a quest for healthy living, you might want to consider going organic with your health and beauty products as well.
All our natural beauty products are free from harmful ingredients like parabens, sulphates and PEGs. They are also ethically accredited and free from animal testing.
Supplements may also be an important consideration in pregnancy and depending on your diet and what your doctor tells you, you may need to take pregnancy vitamins.
Folic acid is also essential for expectant women, as it can help to prevent certain birth defects which can cause conditions like spina bifida.
According to the NHS, a 400 microgram folic acid tablet should be taken every day both while you are trying to get pregnant and until you reach the 12-week stage.
Folic acid can be found naturally in foods such as brown rice and leafy green vegetables.
Posted by Sam Wallace
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hi Lin, Fushi's pomegranate seed oil is a non-standardised, unrefined and natural oil. Each batch varies and displays a set of unique characteristics. This is simply down to our oils never being refined, deodorized or filtered.However, you will still be getting the same great quality and benefits from the oil.
- Carrot Oil for Face In the process of making In the process of making my carrot Oil today on low heat, the carrot turned brown unlike other days when I do it myself. Hope the oil will still work on my face and skin.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil my pomegranate seed oil is light golden color(not paler) could it be a good quality?
- Carrot Oil for Face If cooking is not recommended, so what is recommended. Cause most people cooked it
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenDear Amanda, thank you for your message. There should not be interactions between Ashwagandha and tamoxifen. However, I would recommend that you consult a proper herbalist or your GP before staring to take this herb. Herbal remedies act differently on people. I hope this helps.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenIs this supplement safe for women who have had ER+ breast cancer I've been on tamoxifen for 2 years and it pushed me head first into horrendous menopausal symptoms which show no sign of waning I am looking for something natural to help with stress sleep issues and increase my energy