Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Nine in ten adults have suffered sunburn
Despite continual warnings about the effects of sun damage, it seems many UK adults are still not taking as much care of their skin as they should.
According to a new survey carried out by YouGov on behalf of Cancer Research UK, the vast majority of the country's population are aware that getting sunburnt increases their risk of developing skin cancer.
However, nine in ten people admit to having suffered sunburn, with almost half of these having experienced pain as a result.
The survey also showed that a fifth of adults don't plan for the weather when they're out and about, so often get caught out by the sun.
And it seems men are worse than women when it comes to remembering sun protection, with over 50 per cent more men than women forgetting to slap it on.
They're also more likely to use a low factor sun cream when they do remember to apply it. Less than half of men said they use at least a factor 15 lotion, compared to two thirds of women.
Perhaps women are more concerned about the impact of sun damage on their appearance, as it's well known that as well as upping the risk of skin cancer, it can also lead to premature aging.
Caroline Cerny, SunSmart campaign manager at Cancer Research UK, said: "There's a big gap between what people know and how they behave in the sun.
"People know that getting sunburn can increase the risk of skin cancer but many don't bother to protect their skin from burning."
Sara Hiom, director of health information at the charity, added: "Whether at home or abroad, people should think how to use shade, clothing and sunscreen, applied generously and regularly, to protect themselves."
Regularly applying a high factor sun cream is essential if you're out in the sun, but you can also rely on herbal supplements to boost your skin's protection.
Fushi's Total Sun Complex contains Vitamin C, Vitamin E and other key ingredients, such as evening primrose oil, to protect skin from the inside out, boosting the power of external sunscreens.
If you do suffer sunburn organic aloe vera juice can be used to gently soothe the skin.
Posted by Laura Andrews
- Wholefood Beauty Totale for Skin Hair Nails and UV protectionAs low as £16.00
- Skin, Hair & Nails Herbal Tincture Blend 100ml30% OFFAs low as £14.00 Regular Price £20.00
- De-stress Skullcap & Lemon Balm Herbal Tincture Blend 100ml30% OFFAs low as £14.00 Regular Price £20.00
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyHi Fred, Unfortunately, I am unable to advise on this since you are taking medication. Herbal remedies can interact with other drugs. You should approach any kind of supplement or medication with equal caution (prescription and non-prescription). It is best to seek advice from your GP.
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyIs it safe to take 500mg Ashwaganda once a day whilst taking fluoxetine 20mg Once a day?
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi Mercy, yes Carrot oil is usually made using carrot fruit infused in almond oil :) The oil should be stored in a cool, dark place to maintain the maximum shelf life. You can also store it in the refrigerator. It Will keep for 6-8 months if stored properly.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi, I made carrot oil from almond oil and carrot fruit, is it good? And how do I keep it to avoid spoilage
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHello :) There are no studies that indicates negative effects on femininity and hirsutism on women. Studies have shown that Ashwagandha is a magical herb for women of all ages and the benefits for women are plenty. When consumed regularly, it can have a positive effect on physical and mental health. Hope this helps.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenI have heard that using this herb cause negative effects on femininity and some times produces hair on face of woman.