Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Nutritional supplements ’essential’ for athletes
Keen athletes looking to boost their sporting performance could find that nutritional supplements form an important part of their diet.
Sports nutritionist Dr Cory Holly, founder of the Cory Holly Institute, said supplements are to a healthy diet what carbon is to steel.
"Steel is stronger, more flexible and more resistant to rust than iron alone," she explained. "Without supplements, we're like iron standing alone.
"Iron is strong, but steel is stronger, more flexible and more resilient."
For this reason, Dr Holly advised athletes and sports enthusiasts to include supplements in their diet sooner rather than later.
"In essence, high quality dietary supplements manufactured with objective science in mind will make any good, clean, whole food diet stronger," she stated.
In terms of diet, the expert said the fuel required by an athlete will depend on what he or she does.
For example, some sports require strong muscles, while others depend primarily on speed and agility.
The level of proteins and carbohydrates an individual needs will therefore differ depending on their sporting goals.
Fellow sports nutritionist Andrew Haworth agreed that a balanced diet is essential, and also stressed the importance of supplements.
"Supplements can be important as trying to get all the correct amounts of protein, carbohydrates et cetera can be difficult," he remarked.
"Just as important as what we eat following exercise is when we eat.
"A meal or supplement containing carbohydrates and protein immediately after exercise is vital for recovery as this is when the body is at its fastest and most efficient at replenishing glycogen stores."
Herbal supplements such as Siberian Ginseng capsules, which help to strengthen the immune system and increase stamina, could be beneficial to keen sportsmen and women.
Hawthorn berry capsules can also help to boost the circulatory system, and are often used by athletes to sustain the heart.
Posted by Matilda Jones
- Coconut Organic Oil Virgin Fresh-PressedAs low as £6.00 Regular Price £6.00
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Very informative blog. I liked it, as information shared is very detailed One. I really appreciate the effort taken for sharing & making knowledge available for everyone. It’s kind of help for well being of we human beings/ Body&Soul.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHello Anoni, Ashwagandha is a stress reliever and controls the production of stress-inducing hormones. High production of cortisol can compromise the production of progesterone. When Ashwagandha controls cortisol, it automatically stabilises progesterone production levels. Hope this helps :)
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHello, As Ashwagandha is an adaptogen, there are numerous ways that it can help you depending on what time of day it is. Most people like to use Ashwagandha in the morning as it has some benefits when it comes to naturally reducing anxiety which could help throughout the day. However, others take it at night to help with sleep. If you are having difficulty sleeping, take it before bed. Otherwise, it does not matter at what time of day you take it as long as you are consistent from day to day.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenDoes it help increase Progesterone in women?
- Carrot Oil for Face is mixing of avocado oil with carrot oil, neem oil and orange oil a perfect combination for a dark skin person moroever based on my research I found out that these are non comedogenic oil
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenI have your Ashwagandha capsules it says to take two a day is that two at night or one in the morning and one in the evening?