Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Over-50s can improve their health through Yoga
Older people who haven’t got time in their busy lives to devise and stick to a full-on exercise regime could simply invest in some Yoga equipment and head to a weekly session to improve their health and fitness.
Charlotte Watts, nutritional therapist, Yoga instructor and co-author of the De-Stress Diet, explained that the exercise is "absolutely fantastic" for people aged over 50.
"If you have the right teacher it can be really modified to all different body types and all different levels of flexibility, and one of the things that is supposed to be a big benchmark of keeping and holding onto youth is posture and it is one of the most important things," she pointed out.
"Good circulation, breathing, detoxification - all the things that are naturally anti-aging - Yoga is particularly good for that."
By stretching out on Manduka Yoga mats, individuals can also let go of their worries for a few minutes every day, helping them feel calmer and more relaxed afterwards.
Ms Watts noted that there is a prevailing attitude which defines time spent not ’doing something’ as worthless, but we should overcome this for the sake of our health.
"There is a very defined type of active rest where if we don’t give our bodies and our brains the requisite amount of time for rest, recovery, rejuvenation and restoration - we can’t keep our bodies in balance and we can’t keep our systems working optimally," she commented.
"This is really crucial because our metabolic rates and our ability to produce energy do decline as we get older."
The fitness expert added that quality of rest is even more important than quantity, so older people should get a good night’s sleep and find activities to do to keep them in a natural meditative state, such as Yoga, gardening, swimming, reading, painting or knitting.
Posted by Freya Harper
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you for your very informative article. I suffered COVID in December, 2020, and in February I started experience extreme hair loss and all my hair jus falls like a person who is under going Chemo therapy. It's very depressing. Had to cut off all my hair and even the little that is left is falling off daily not sure what to do. Please suggest something.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) You can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning/during the day since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. You can also mix a few drops of Carrot Oil with your favorite face cream. You can do that at least twice a week or include it in your daily skincare routine. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Can I use the carrot oil in the day time? Because I am using Vitamin c serum in the night. Please advise. Thanks
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) Carrot Oil contains Beta Carotene and Vitamin A which, by eliminating toxic build-up and repairing sun-damaged skin, helps to improve skin complexion. Antiseptic properties also assist in reducing breakouts and the formation of acne. It is also great for hydrating the skin. So mixing it with Jojoba oil may help. I would also recommend mixing Jojoba oil and Tamanu oil as both have great moisturising properties and are great for acne prone skin. Hope this helps!
- Carrot Oil for Face I have acne. I have been using jojoba oil only but I noticed my face is sometimes dry. If I add carrot oil will it help moisturize my face and clear the spots or should I join argan oil to the mix?
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyI found a supplement that is 500 mg, 120 Count. Do you recommend taking 1 capsule daily? or 2 capsules? I also take thyroid medication and an SSRI among other things.