Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Popcorn ’contains higher antioxidant levels than fruit’
We tend to think of popcorn as a calorie-laden snack that should only be indulged in at the cinema or when we’re in need of a big salt hit.
But according to new research, popcorn actually contains more healthy antioxidants called polyphenols than most fruits and vegetables.
The husks of the popcorn - those bits that get wedged in your teeth for hours at a time - were also found to have the highest concentration of polyphenols and dietary fibre, leading head researcher Joe Vinson of the University of Scranton to declare them "nutritional gold nuggets".
"Popcorn may be the perfect snack food. It’s the only snack that is 100 percent unprocessed whole grain," he noted.
"All other grains are processed and diluted with other ingredients, and although cereals are called ’whole grain’, this simply means that over 51 per cent of the weight of the product is whole grain."
Mr Vinson explained that a single serving of popcorn makes up 70 per cent of the daily recommended intake of whole grain.
However, those of you who have already got out the microwavable bags should bear in mind that it’s what you add to the popcorn that makes it not such a good dietary choice.
Loading up on butter, sugar and salt will mean adding calories and fat to your snack, so if you’re following a healthy living regime you’ll want to eat it plain or add dried herbs and other tasty accompaniments to your popcorn.
You could even try popping the kernels in a low-fat oil, such as rapeseed or flax seed oil - just add a tablespoon of oil to a saucepan, throw in the unpopped kernels and cover with a lid, heating it through until all the kernels have exploded. Voila - a low-fat, antioxidant snack you can munch on at any time.
Posted by Matilda Jones
- Coconut Organic Oil Virgin Fresh-PressedAs low as £6.00 Regular Price £6.00
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hi Lin, Fushi's pomegranate seed oil is a non-standardised, unrefined and natural oil. Each batch varies and displays a set of unique characteristics. This is simply down to our oils never being refined, deodorized or filtered.However, you will still be getting the same great quality and benefits from the oil.
- Carrot Oil for Face In the process of making In the process of making my carrot Oil today on low heat, the carrot turned brown unlike other days when I do it myself. Hope the oil will still work on my face and skin.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil my pomegranate seed oil is light golden color(not paler) could it be a good quality?
- Carrot Oil for Face If cooking is not recommended, so what is recommended. Cause most people cooked it
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenDear Amanda, thank you for your message. There should not be interactions between Ashwagandha and tamoxifen. However, I would recommend that you consult a proper herbalist or your GP before staring to take this herb. Herbal remedies act differently on people. I hope this helps.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenIs this supplement safe for women who have had ER+ breast cancer I've been on tamoxifen for 2 years and it pushed me head first into horrendous menopausal symptoms which show no sign of waning I am looking for something natural to help with stress sleep issues and increase my energy