Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Spices found to have heart health benefits
There have been numerous studies touting the health benefits of herbs and spices. Now a new paper has claimed that the likes of turmeric and paprika could help prevent heart disease.
Researchers at Penn State University found that a blend of antioxidant spices can reduce the stress that high fat foods put on the heart.
They carried out tests on overweight but healthy men aged between 30 and 65, adding a 14 gram dose to a 1,200 calorie dinner.
Those who consumed the spices were found to have significantly reduced insulin and triglyceride levels.
"Normally, when you eat a high fat meal, you end up with high levels of triglycerides, a type of fat, in your blood," explained study leader Sheila West.
"If this happens too frequently, or if triglyceride levels are raised too much, your risk of heart disease is increased.
"We found that adding spices to a high fat meal reduced triglyceride response by about 30 per cent compared to a similar meal with no spices added."
The spice blend used by the researchers included turmeric, cinnamon, garlic powder and paprika.
Much has also been made of the health benefits of cayenne pepper, after singer Beyonce once admitted to following a strict diet of cayenne, lemon juice and maple syrup to lose weight.
While nutritionists agreed that going to such extremes is an unhealthy way of shedding the pounds, many did agree that cayenne pepper can help to boost metabolism.
Consumed as part of a healthy, balanced diet, it is also known to aid digestion and ease bloating.
Fans of spicy food may be cheered by the results of this latest study. However, if you don't like hot dishes, don't despair.
Posted by Matilda Jones
- Sleep Valerian & Skullcap Herbal Tincture Blend 100mlAs low as £20.00
- De-stress Skullcap & Lemon Balm Herbal Tincture Blend 100mlAs low as £20.00
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hi Lin, Fushi's pomegranate seed oil is a non-standardised, unrefined and natural oil. Each batch varies and displays a set of unique characteristics. This is simply down to our oils never being refined, deodorized or filtered.However, you will still be getting the same great quality and benefits from the oil.
- Carrot Oil for Face In the process of making In the process of making my carrot Oil today on low heat, the carrot turned brown unlike other days when I do it myself. Hope the oil will still work on my face and skin.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil my pomegranate seed oil is light golden color(not paler) could it be a good quality?
- Carrot Oil for Face If cooking is not recommended, so what is recommended. Cause most people cooked it
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenDear Amanda, thank you for your message. There should not be interactions between Ashwagandha and tamoxifen. However, I would recommend that you consult a proper herbalist or your GP before staring to take this herb. Herbal remedies act differently on people. I hope this helps.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenIs this supplement safe for women who have had ER+ breast cancer I've been on tamoxifen for 2 years and it pushed me head first into horrendous menopausal symptoms which show no sign of waning I am looking for something natural to help with stress sleep issues and increase my energy