Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Spices found to have heart health benefits
There have been numerous studies touting the health benefits of herbs and spices. Now a new paper has claimed that the likes of turmeric and paprika could help prevent heart disease.
Researchers at Penn State University found that a blend of antioxidant spices can reduce the stress that high fat foods put on the heart.
They carried out tests on overweight but healthy men aged between 30 and 65, adding a 14 gram dose to a 1,200 calorie dinner.
Those who consumed the spices were found to have significantly reduced insulin and triglyceride levels.
"Normally, when you eat a high fat meal, you end up with high levels of triglycerides, a type of fat, in your blood," explained study leader Sheila West.
"If this happens too frequently, or if triglyceride levels are raised too much, your risk of heart disease is increased.
"We found that adding spices to a high fat meal reduced triglyceride response by about 30 per cent compared to a similar meal with no spices added."
The spice blend used by the researchers included turmeric, cinnamon, garlic powder and paprika.
Much has also been made of the health benefits of cayenne pepper, after singer Beyonce once admitted to following a strict diet of cayenne, lemon juice and maple syrup to lose weight.
While nutritionists agreed that going to such extremes is an unhealthy way of shedding the pounds, many did agree that cayenne pepper can help to boost metabolism.
Consumed as part of a healthy, balanced diet, it is also known to aid digestion and ease bloating.
Fans of spicy food may be cheered by the results of this latest study. However, if you don't like hot dishes, don't despair.
Posted by Matilda Jones
- Coconut Organic Oil Virgin Fresh-Pressed50% OFFAs low as £3.00 Regular Price £6.00
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you Emiliano for your comment. In this blog we are referring more to oils, more so than butters and while we agree with you Shea is an excellent emollient for hair, it's consistency is more buttery and it is used more as a leave-in remedy to smooth hair texture. We have suggested Coconut oil as it helps slow down hair loss by penetrating deep into your hair shaft to prevent protein loss, which in turn prevents breakage. When applied to your scalp, it simultaneously moisturises and removes build-up around your hair follicles to encourage hair growth and is one of base oils always used in Ayurveda for hair treatments. As this post is more focused for hair and not for skin, the comedogenic scale applies to skin/pores and not hair follicles. Thank you again for your feedback.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Hello Zu, yes hair loss can be very stressful and this in turn amplifies the cause almost.. Perhaps with Covid, your system may have been depleted of nutrients and fighting the virus can take its toll on your immune system, so sometimes our hair and skin suffer when we have been ill. We really believe in oils for scalp massage as the best way to revive the growth and help regenerate the follicles. It may be also worth at looking at internal supplements and making sure you are getting enough of omega oils, perhaps plant based such as nuts and seeds in your diet. For external oil treatment, would recommend the Really Good Hair oil which we create with Brahmi, this herb is known to help bring the scalp back to health and improve growth. Biotin is also a good vitamin to take as a supplement to help with hair growth so do look into that. So hope these tips will be helpful for you.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?I, am very surprised that your article did not include Organic Shea Butter and that coconut oil, is your number one choice for hair growth and thickness. According to the comedogenic scale, coconut oil, has a rating of (4), on a scale from (0), to (5), on clogging your pores. Why would anyone put coconut oil, on their hair or skin knowing the pores will get clogged up. Shea Butter, on the other hand has a (0), rating on the comedogenic scale, which is great for dry hair and skin and won't clog up your pores.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you for your very informative article. I suffered COVID in December, 2020, and in February I started experience extreme hair loss and all my hair jus falls like a person who is under going Chemo therapy. It's very depressing. Had to cut off all my hair and even the little that is left is falling off daily not sure what to do. Please suggest something.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) You can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning/during the day since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. You can also mix a few drops of Carrot Oil with your favorite face cream. You can do that at least twice a week or include it in your daily skincare routine. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Can I use the carrot oil in the day time? Because I am using Vitamin c serum in the night. Please advise. Thanks