Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Start your day right with a healthy breakfast
On these cold winter mornings, it is important to start the day right with a nutritious breakfast to give us enough energy to get through the next few hours.
Harley Street nutritionist Yvonne Bishop-Weston advises that we begin breakfast by boosting our blood sugar levels, which will have dipped overnight.
"The important thing is, when you wake up, start the day with a fruit smoothie, or a vegetable juice would be even better, and then within about half an hour have breakfast with some protein in it. It could be eggs, kippers, something along those lines," she explains.
You could also try rye bread with some kippers, cherry tomatoes and spinach leaves for a vitamin boost, or poach eggs over wholegrain toast, she posits.
"You need to go for the omega-3 eggs because they are higher in the essential fatty acids," the expert said, noting that this will also help address any Christmas hangovers.
Oats in particular make for a healthy breakfast as they will fill us up and slowly release energy throughout the morning. Mix in some dried fruits and nuts, such as figs, dates and walnuts, and chop up some fresh slices of apple and banana to get at least two of your five recommended portions of fruit and veg a day into your first meal.
Those who are not keen on porridge could increase their consumption of complex carbs, which are found in grains, fruits, legumes and other vegetables. These not only provide energy and fibre - an essential part of a healthy diet - there is evidence to suggest they could also reduce symptoms of chronic constipation, soothe irritable bowel syndrome and even bring down high blood pressure.
So this winter, stock up on whole grains, cereal grains and green vegetables and experiment with them to see if you can come up with a delicious and healthy meal to start the day. You could also try herbal supplements such as acai berries and goji berries to boost energy.
Posted by Matilda Jones
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyHi Fred, Unfortunately, I am unable to advise on this since you are taking medication. Herbal remedies can interact with other drugs. You should approach any kind of supplement or medication with equal caution (prescription and non-prescription). It is best to seek advice from your GP.
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyIs it safe to take 500mg Ashwaganda once a day whilst taking fluoxetine 20mg Once a day?
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi Mercy, yes Carrot oil is usually made using carrot fruit infused in almond oil :) The oil should be stored in a cool, dark place to maintain the maximum shelf life. You can also store it in the refrigerator. It Will keep for 6-8 months if stored properly.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi, I made carrot oil from almond oil and carrot fruit, is it good? And how do I keep it to avoid spoilage
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHello :) There are no studies that indicates negative effects on femininity and hirsutism on women. Studies have shown that Ashwagandha is a magical herb for women of all ages and the benefits for women are plenty. When consumed regularly, it can have a positive effect on physical and mental health. Hope this helps.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenI have heard that using this herb cause negative effects on femininity and some times produces hair on face of woman.