Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Stress ’can cause greying hair’
The effects of stress on the mind and body are already well documented - from irritability and anxiety to headaches and muscle tension.
But now a new study has shown that high levels of stress could also impact on our hair by turning it grey prematurely.
Researchers at Duke University in North Carolina found that when people experience stress, their bodies release chemicals that can damage their DNA.
This can speed up the aging process and cause hair to lose its colour.
More worryingly, it can also increase the risk of certain diseases, as the body produces less of the proteins needed to protect cells from abnormalities.
"This could explain how chronic stress may lead to a variety of human conditions and disorders," said lead researcher Professor Robert Lefkowitz.
"They range from merely cosmetic - like greying hair - to life-threatening disorders and malignancies."
The good news is that stress can be managed using a variety of techniques, from diet to relaxation and meditation.
Herbal oils and supplements, such as ashwagandha capsules and lavender oil, can also help to alleviate stress naturally.
Lavender is often used to calm the senses and promote sleep, while ashwagandha is recommended for those with a tired and exhausted nervous system.
Other organic remedies that can be used to tackle stress include brahmi capsules, coconut oil and valerian.
Of course exercise is also widely recommended for those suffering with stress, and Yoga can be an excellent choice.
Some forms of Yoga focus intensely on relaxation and breathing techniques, which can work wonders at the end of a hectic day.
Exercise also releases a chemical called serotonin, which makes people feel instantly happier and less stressed.
Posted by Matilda Jones
- Wholefood CalmaidAs low as £13.00
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you Emiliano for your comment. In this blog we are referring more to oils, more so than butters and while we agree with you Shea is an excellent emollient for hair, it's consistency is more buttery and it is used more as a leave-in remedy to smooth hair texture. We have suggested Coconut oil as it helps slow down hair loss by penetrating deep into your hair shaft to prevent protein loss, which in turn prevents breakage. When applied to your scalp, it simultaneously moisturises and removes build-up around your hair follicles to encourage hair growth and is one of base oils always used in Ayurveda for hair treatments. As this post is more focused for hair and not for skin, the comedogenic scale applies to skin/pores and not hair follicles. Thank you again for your feedback.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Hello Zu, yes hair loss can be very stressful and this in turn amplifies the cause almost.. Perhaps with Covid, your system may have been depleted of nutrients and fighting the virus can take its toll on your immune system, so sometimes our hair and skin suffer when we have been ill. We really believe in oils for scalp massage as the best way to revive the growth and help regenerate the follicles. It may be also worth at looking at internal supplements and making sure you are getting enough of omega oils, perhaps plant based such as nuts and seeds in your diet. For external oil treatment, would recommend the Really Good Hair oil which we create with Brahmi, this herb is known to help bring the scalp back to health and improve growth. Biotin is also a good vitamin to take as a supplement to help with hair growth so do look into that. So hope these tips will be helpful for you.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?I, am very surprised that your article did not include Organic Shea Butter and that coconut oil, is your number one choice for hair growth and thickness. According to the comedogenic scale, coconut oil, has a rating of (4), on a scale from (0), to (5), on clogging your pores. Why would anyone put coconut oil, on their hair or skin knowing the pores will get clogged up. Shea Butter, on the other hand has a (0), rating on the comedogenic scale, which is great for dry hair and skin and won't clog up your pores.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you for your very informative article. I suffered COVID in December, 2020, and in February I started experience extreme hair loss and all my hair jus falls like a person who is under going Chemo therapy. It's very depressing. Had to cut off all my hair and even the little that is left is falling off daily not sure what to do. Please suggest something.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) You can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning/during the day since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. You can also mix a few drops of Carrot Oil with your favorite face cream. You can do that at least twice a week or include it in your daily skincare routine. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Can I use the carrot oil in the day time? Because I am using Vitamin c serum in the night. Please advise. Thanks