Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Swishing herbal oils like mouthwash ’can improve oral health’
It is well known that using herbal oils in your food, on your hair and on your skin can help you look and feel better, perking you up on these cold winter days. But did you know they can also be used to boost your smile?
According to Geeta Vara, practitioner at Geeta Vara Ayurvada, using warm sesame oil inside your mouth can remove toxins and help keep your pearly whites dazzling.
’Oil pulling’, or gandusha as it is also known, is used in conjunction with teeth-brushing to improve oral health, and may have some additional benefits.
"Gandusha is holding warm sesame oil and retaining it in your mouth for anything from four to ten minutes depending on the person, to give health benefits to the gums and teeth. It combats any conditions of the mouth, whether gingivitis, possibly halitosis and those sorts of conditions. It keeps those at bay by being part of a wider oral hygiene technique," Ms Vara commented.
She noted that it is important that the sesame oil used is organic and has already been treated to remove its "heaviness", making it "much more therapeutic and perfectly safe to use".
Once the oil has been ’pulled’ - or swished like mouthwash - through the teeth and around the mouth for a few minutes, users then spit it out rather than swallow it.
The ayurveda specialist advised people who are suffering from dental problems, particularly ulcers in their mouth caused by stress, to try the gandusha technique. "For anything local in the dental cavity I’d definitely recommend gandusha and also cleansing with the option of clove water as well - that’s really good for cleansing the oral cavity," she added.
Distantroots.com suggests that oil pulling is also good for improving the quality of our voice and could even promote taste sensations by cleaning the tongue of other substances.
Posted by Matilda Jones
- Sleep Valerian & Skullcap Herbal Tincture Blend 100mlAs low as £20.00
- Breathe Elecampane & Liquorice Herbal Tincture Blend 100ml30% OFFAs low as £14.00 Regular Price £20.00
- Female Dong Quai & Chasteberry Herbal Tincture Blend 100ml20% OFFAs low as £15.00 Regular Price £20.00
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) yes, our cold pressed carrot oil can be used on both the face and body. You can add few drops of Carrot oil to your body cream.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) yes you can mix few drops of carrot oil with Shea butter and apply it as hair mask. It is thought to bring balance in moisture for hair as a conditioning agent. Shea Butter and Carrot Oil works extremely well as a hair softening mask, especially to comfort sensitive, aging skin during cold winter climates and extreme dry heat.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello can I mix carrot oil and Shea butter and apply on my hair
- Carrot Oil for Face Can i use cold pressed carrot oil as my face and body cream
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) you can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello, You can for sure mix carrot and papaya oil together. I will help reduce hyperpigmentation :)