Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Swishing herbal oils like mouthwash ’can improve oral health’
It is well known that using herbal oils in your food, on your hair and on your skin can help you look and feel better, perking you up on these cold winter days. But did you know they can also be used to boost your smile?
According to Geeta Vara, practitioner at Geeta Vara Ayurvada, using warm sesame oil inside your mouth can remove toxins and help keep your pearly whites dazzling.
’Oil pulling’, or gandusha as it is also known, is used in conjunction with teeth-brushing to improve oral health, and may have some additional benefits.
"Gandusha is holding warm sesame oil and retaining it in your mouth for anything from four to ten minutes depending on the person, to give health benefits to the gums and teeth. It combats any conditions of the mouth, whether gingivitis, possibly halitosis and those sorts of conditions. It keeps those at bay by being part of a wider oral hygiene technique," Ms Vara commented.
She noted that it is important that the sesame oil used is organic and has already been treated to remove its "heaviness", making it "much more therapeutic and perfectly safe to use".
Once the oil has been ’pulled’ - or swished like mouthwash - through the teeth and around the mouth for a few minutes, users then spit it out rather than swallow it.
The ayurveda specialist advised people who are suffering from dental problems, particularly ulcers in their mouth caused by stress, to try the gandusha technique. "For anything local in the dental cavity I’d definitely recommend gandusha and also cleansing with the option of clove water as well - that’s really good for cleansing the oral cavity," she added.
Distantroots.com suggests that oil pulling is also good for improving the quality of our voice and could even promote taste sensations by cleaning the tongue of other substances.
Posted by Matilda Jones
- Sleep Valerian & Skullcap Herbal Tincture Blend 100mlAs low as £20.00
- Breathe Elecampane & Liquorice Herbal Tincture Blend 100mlAs low as £20.00
- Female Dong Quai & Chasteberry Herbal Tincture Blend 100ml20% OFFAs low as £16.01 Regular Price £20.00
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hi Lin, Fushi's pomegranate seed oil is a non-standardised, unrefined and natural oil. Each batch varies and displays a set of unique characteristics. This is simply down to our oils never being refined, deodorized or filtered.However, you will still be getting the same great quality and benefits from the oil.
- Carrot Oil for Face In the process of making In the process of making my carrot Oil today on low heat, the carrot turned brown unlike other days when I do it myself. Hope the oil will still work on my face and skin.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil my pomegranate seed oil is light golden color(not paler) could it be a good quality?
- Carrot Oil for Face If cooking is not recommended, so what is recommended. Cause most people cooked it
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenDear Amanda, thank you for your message. There should not be interactions between Ashwagandha and tamoxifen. However, I would recommend that you consult a proper herbalist or your GP before staring to take this herb. Herbal remedies act differently on people. I hope this helps.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenIs this supplement safe for women who have had ER+ breast cancer I've been on tamoxifen for 2 years and it pushed me head first into horrendous menopausal symptoms which show no sign of waning I am looking for something natural to help with stress sleep issues and increase my energy