Cookies on fushi.co.uk
World’s oldest Yoga teacher credits daily practice with good health
Don’t believe Yoga can help you stay fit and flexible well into old age? Then just take a look at Bernice Bates, who at 91 is still getting out her Yoga equipment on a daily basis.
The great grandmother, from Florida in the United States, has just been crowned the World’s Oldest Yoga teacher by the Guinness Book of World Records.
Despite being just nine years away from her 100th birthday, she still teaches the exercise once a week and her pupils are substantially younger than her.
She puts many of them to shame, too, since she’s more flexible than many people a third of her age.
Bernice has no health problems and takes no medication, and according to her this is because of her Yoga sessions, as well as her swimming, walking and weight lifting.
"It gives you a good outlook," she said of her daily stretching and posing.
"It involves your mind. Your mind, your body and your spirit. They all work together and they’re all coordinated.
"When you’re on a treadmill, that’s all you’re doing, and you’re tired when you’re done. We build energy in our body, we don’t take it out."
Many older people could benefit from following Bernice’s example and buying Yoga mats to get started with the practice.
Dr Fernando Branco from the Rosomoff Comprehensive Rehabilitation Centre in Miami, explained that Yoga can help to build balance, which in turn can prevent falls.
"One of the main reason why people become non-functional or even die is because of falls," he remarked. "Those things can be catastrophic when you’re 85."
So there you have it. Unroll your Yoga mat and you could boost your chances of enjoying a fit and flexible old age, just like Bernice.
Posted by Freya Harper
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you Emiliano for your comment. In this blog we are referring more to oils, more so than butters and while we agree with you Shea is an excellent emollient for hair, it's consistency is more buttery and it is used more as a leave-in remedy to smooth hair texture. We have suggested Coconut oil as it helps slow down hair loss by penetrating deep into your hair shaft to prevent protein loss, which in turn prevents breakage. When applied to your scalp, it simultaneously moisturises and removes build-up around your hair follicles to encourage hair growth and is one of base oils always used in Ayurveda for hair treatments. As this post is more focused for hair and not for skin, the comedogenic scale applies to skin/pores and not hair follicles. Thank you again for your feedback.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Hello Zu, yes hair loss can be very stressful and this in turn amplifies the cause almost.. Perhaps with Covid, your system may have been depleted of nutrients and fighting the virus can take its toll on your immune system, so sometimes our hair and skin suffer when we have been ill. We really believe in oils for scalp massage as the best way to revive the growth and help regenerate the follicles. It may be also worth at looking at internal supplements and making sure you are getting enough of omega oils, perhaps plant based such as nuts and seeds in your diet. For external oil treatment, would recommend the Really Good Hair oil which we create with Brahmi, this herb is known to help bring the scalp back to health and improve growth. Biotin is also a good vitamin to take as a supplement to help with hair growth so do look into that. So hope these tips will be helpful for you.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?I, am very surprised that your article did not include Organic Shea Butter and that coconut oil, is your number one choice for hair growth and thickness. According to the comedogenic scale, coconut oil, has a rating of (4), on a scale from (0), to (5), on clogging your pores. Why would anyone put coconut oil, on their hair or skin knowing the pores will get clogged up. Shea Butter, on the other hand has a (0), rating on the comedogenic scale, which is great for dry hair and skin and won't clog up your pores.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you for your very informative article. I suffered COVID in December, 2020, and in February I started experience extreme hair loss and all my hair jus falls like a person who is under going Chemo therapy. It's very depressing. Had to cut off all my hair and even the little that is left is falling off daily not sure what to do. Please suggest something.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) You can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning/during the day since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. You can also mix a few drops of Carrot Oil with your favorite face cream. You can do that at least twice a week or include it in your daily skincare routine. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Can I use the carrot oil in the day time? Because I am using Vitamin c serum in the night. Please advise. Thanks