Cookies on fushi.co.uk
World’s oldest Yoga teacher credits daily practice with good health
Don’t believe Yoga can help you stay fit and flexible well into old age? Then just take a look at Bernice Bates, who at 91 is still getting out her Yoga equipment on a daily basis.
The great grandmother, from Florida in the United States, has just been crowned the World’s Oldest Yoga teacher by the Guinness Book of World Records.
Despite being just nine years away from her 100th birthday, she still teaches the exercise once a week and her pupils are substantially younger than her.
She puts many of them to shame, too, since she’s more flexible than many people a third of her age.
Bernice has no health problems and takes no medication, and according to her this is because of her Yoga sessions, as well as her swimming, walking and weight lifting.
"It gives you a good outlook," she said of her daily stretching and posing.
"It involves your mind. Your mind, your body and your spirit. They all work together and they’re all coordinated.
"When you’re on a treadmill, that’s all you’re doing, and you’re tired when you’re done. We build energy in our body, we don’t take it out."
Many older people could benefit from following Bernice’s example and buying Yoga mats to get started with the practice.
Dr Fernando Branco from the Rosomoff Comprehensive Rehabilitation Centre in Miami, explained that Yoga can help to build balance, which in turn can prevent falls.
"One of the main reason why people become non-functional or even die is because of falls," he remarked. "Those things can be catastrophic when you’re 85."
So there you have it. Unroll your Yoga mat and you could boost your chances of enjoying a fit and flexible old age, just like Bernice.
Posted by Freya Harper
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hi Lin, Fushi's pomegranate seed oil is a non-standardised, unrefined and natural oil. Each batch varies and displays a set of unique characteristics. This is simply down to our oils never being refined, deodorized or filtered.However, you will still be getting the same great quality and benefits from the oil.
- Carrot Oil for Face In the process of making In the process of making my carrot Oil today on low heat, the carrot turned brown unlike other days when I do it myself. Hope the oil will still work on my face and skin.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil my pomegranate seed oil is light golden color(not paler) could it be a good quality?
- Carrot Oil for Face If cooking is not recommended, so what is recommended. Cause most people cooked it
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenDear Amanda, thank you for your message. There should not be interactions between Ashwagandha and tamoxifen. However, I would recommend that you consult a proper herbalist or your GP before staring to take this herb. Herbal remedies act differently on people. I hope this helps.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenIs this supplement safe for women who have had ER+ breast cancer I've been on tamoxifen for 2 years and it pushed me head first into horrendous menopausal symptoms which show no sign of waning I am looking for something natural to help with stress sleep issues and increase my energy