Cookies on fushi.co.uk
World’s oldest Yoga teacher credits daily practice with good health
Don’t believe Yoga can help you stay fit and flexible well into old age? Then just take a look at Bernice Bates, who at 91 is still getting out her Yoga equipment on a daily basis.
The great grandmother, from Florida in the United States, has just been crowned the World’s Oldest Yoga teacher by the Guinness Book of World Records.
Despite being just nine years away from her 100th birthday, she still teaches the exercise once a week and her pupils are substantially younger than her.
She puts many of them to shame, too, since she’s more flexible than many people a third of her age.
Bernice has no health problems and takes no medication, and according to her this is because of her Yoga sessions, as well as her swimming, walking and weight lifting.
"It gives you a good outlook," she said of her daily stretching and posing.
"It involves your mind. Your mind, your body and your spirit. They all work together and they’re all coordinated.
"When you’re on a treadmill, that’s all you’re doing, and you’re tired when you’re done. We build energy in our body, we don’t take it out."
Many older people could benefit from following Bernice’s example and buying Yoga mats to get started with the practice.
Dr Fernando Branco from the Rosomoff Comprehensive Rehabilitation Centre in Miami, explained that Yoga can help to build balance, which in turn can prevent falls.
"One of the main reason why people become non-functional or even die is because of falls," he remarked. "Those things can be catastrophic when you’re 85."
So there you have it. Unroll your Yoga mat and you could boost your chances of enjoying a fit and flexible old age, just like Bernice.
Posted by Freya Harper
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) Carrot Oil contains Beta Carotene and Vitamin A which, by eliminating toxic build-up and repairing sun-damaged skin, helps to improve skin complexion. Antiseptic properties also assist in reducing breakouts and the formation of acne. It is also great for hydrating the skin. So mixing it with Jojoba oil may help. I would also recommend mixing Jojoba oil and Tamanu oil as both have great moisturising properties and are great for acne prone skin. Hope this helps!
- Carrot Oil for Face I have acne. I have been using jojoba oil only but I noticed my face is sometimes dry. If I add carrot oil will it help moisturize my face and clear the spots or should I join argan oil to the mix?
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyI found a supplement that is 500 mg, 120 Count. Do you recommend taking 1 capsule daily? or 2 capsules? I also take thyroid medication and an SSRI among other things.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHello Dia, Thank you for your comment. Research is confusing when it comes to testosterone levels with PCOS and using Ashwagandha. As it is an adaptogenic herb, it will 'adapt' to the environment of the body to support hormonal balance. A huge therapeutic benefit of Ashwagandha is its ability to balance cortisol levels, which could improve stress and symptoms of PCOS also. If you are currently using any medications or under medical supervision, please seek advice from your practitioner to ensure there are no interactions. I hope this helps :)
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenIs ashwagandha is good to be taken to increase height who have testosterone level high along with pcod ?
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHi Simie, thank you for your message. Ashwagandha is safe to be taken alongside other supplements including Vitamin E and Calcium. We would advise you check with your GP for interactions with estrogen medications for menopause as there are different variations of these medications. I hope this helps :)