Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Yoga ’can help people with injuries’
Yoga has been hailed as an effective way for people who have suffered serious injuries to strengthen their bodies.
Journalist and author Tim Rushby-Smith, who uses a wheelchair, said taking part in Yoga helped him "feel" his legs for the first time in years.
Writing in the Guardian, Mr Rushby-Smith, who suffered a spinal cord injury in 2005 which left him with permanent paraplegia, said the Yoga session he attended was difficult because the primary focus on balance and precision required him to exert a significant amount of physical control and concentration.
However, he found that his first yoga session helped him tremendously in improving his core strength and balance.
"By the end of the 90-minute class I am sitting unsupported on the floor with my arms above my head and my legs outstretched," he commented.
"This is extremely difficult when paralysed from the waist down. I have no fixed base, as I cannot gain stability from my buttocks or thighs, but somehow I am spreading myself out to my heels as much as the tips of my fingers."
Using good quality Yoga mats and Yoga equipment such as foam blocks, folding chairs and belts can help participants gain traction on the floor, but they still have to exert a certain amount of control and balance.
Mr Rushby-Smith found that using Yoga mats helped him get the most out of the exercises and Yoga poses he was doing.
"Instead of trying to balance on nothing, I feel like I am grounded on something firm and tangible," commented.
Yoga poses have been found to help increase strength and flexibility, with experts maintaining that they strengthen the upper back, shoulders, arms, buttocks, thighs, abdomen and wrists.
Yoga is also reported to help improve the cardiovascular system, the thyroid and the pituitary glands.
Posted by Freya Harper
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hi Lin, Fushi's pomegranate seed oil is a non-standardised, unrefined and natural oil. Each batch varies and displays a set of unique characteristics. This is simply down to our oils never being refined, deodorized or filtered.However, you will still be getting the same great quality and benefits from the oil.
- Carrot Oil for Face In the process of making In the process of making my carrot Oil today on low heat, the carrot turned brown unlike other days when I do it myself. Hope the oil will still work on my face and skin.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil my pomegranate seed oil is light golden color(not paler) could it be a good quality?
- Carrot Oil for Face If cooking is not recommended, so what is recommended. Cause most people cooked it
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenDear Amanda, thank you for your message. There should not be interactions between Ashwagandha and tamoxifen. However, I would recommend that you consult a proper herbalist or your GP before staring to take this herb. Herbal remedies act differently on people. I hope this helps.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenIs this supplement safe for women who have had ER+ breast cancer I've been on tamoxifen for 2 years and it pushed me head first into horrendous menopausal symptoms which show no sign of waning I am looking for something natural to help with stress sleep issues and increase my energy