Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Yoga ’can help people with injuries’
Yoga has been hailed as an effective way for people who have suffered serious injuries to strengthen their bodies.
Journalist and author Tim Rushby-Smith, who uses a wheelchair, said taking part in Yoga helped him "feel" his legs for the first time in years.
Writing in the Guardian, Mr Rushby-Smith, who suffered a spinal cord injury in 2005 which left him with permanent paraplegia, said the Yoga session he attended was difficult because the primary focus on balance and precision required him to exert a significant amount of physical control and concentration.
However, he found that his first yoga session helped him tremendously in improving his core strength and balance.
"By the end of the 90-minute class I am sitting unsupported on the floor with my arms above my head and my legs outstretched," he commented.
"This is extremely difficult when paralysed from the waist down. I have no fixed base, as I cannot gain stability from my buttocks or thighs, but somehow I am spreading myself out to my heels as much as the tips of my fingers."
Using good quality Yoga mats and Yoga equipment such as foam blocks, folding chairs and belts can help participants gain traction on the floor, but they still have to exert a certain amount of control and balance.
Mr Rushby-Smith found that using Yoga mats helped him get the most out of the exercises and Yoga poses he was doing.
"Instead of trying to balance on nothing, I feel like I am grounded on something firm and tangible," commented.
Yoga poses have been found to help increase strength and flexibility, with experts maintaining that they strengthen the upper back, shoulders, arms, buttocks, thighs, abdomen and wrists.
Yoga is also reported to help improve the cardiovascular system, the thyroid and the pituitary glands.
Posted by Freya Harper
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyHi Fred, Unfortunately, I am unable to advise on this since you are taking medication. Herbal remedies can interact with other drugs. You should approach any kind of supplement or medication with equal caution (prescription and non-prescription). It is best to seek advice from your GP.
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyIs it safe to take 500mg Ashwaganda once a day whilst taking fluoxetine 20mg Once a day?
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi Mercy, yes Carrot oil is usually made using carrot fruit infused in almond oil :) The oil should be stored in a cool, dark place to maintain the maximum shelf life. You can also store it in the refrigerator. It Will keep for 6-8 months if stored properly.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi, I made carrot oil from almond oil and carrot fruit, is it good? And how do I keep it to avoid spoilage
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHello :) There are no studies that indicates negative effects on femininity and hirsutism on women. Studies have shown that Ashwagandha is a magical herb for women of all ages and the benefits for women are plenty. When consumed regularly, it can have a positive effect on physical and mental health. Hope this helps.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenI have heard that using this herb cause negative effects on femininity and some times produces hair on face of woman.