Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Yoga ’is good for reducing back pain’
Using Yoga equipment to improve suppleness could help women and men with lower back problems, according to new research.
A study by American researchers found that weekly Yoga classes and stretching sessions eased pain and improved functionality in some individuals with chronic lower back pain after three months.
People who used Yoga mats in sessions for 12 weeks and practised when they were at home reported fewer symptoms of a bad back and had better functionality.
Dr Timothy Carey of the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, told Reuters: "We've known for a while ... that exercise is good for back pain."
The study, funded by the National Institutes of Health's National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, divided participants with general lower back pain into three groups and got the first group to attend 75-minute Yoga classes each week, while the second lot went to generic stretching sessions.
Individuals in the third group were given a 200-page book on exercises, lifestyle changes and ways to manage flare-ups if they experienced bad back pain.
About half of those in the Yoga or stretching groups self-reported as having little or no back pain at all after their sessions came to an end, compared with 20 per cent of subjects in the self-care group.
Twice as many patients who used quality Yoga mats or attended the stretching groups said they had reduced their medication usage in comparison to the book readers.
"We found Yoga classes more effective than a self-care book," commented senior researcher Karen Sherman.
"The most straightforward interpretation of our findings would be that Yoga's benefits on back function and symptoms were largely physical, due to the stretching and strengthening of muscles. People may have actually begun to relax more in the stretching classes than they would in a typical exercise class," she added.
"Our results suggest that both Yoga and stretching can be good, safe options for people who are willing to try physical activity to relieve their moderate low back pain."
Posted by Freya Harper
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hi Lin, Fushi's pomegranate seed oil is a non-standardised, unrefined and natural oil. Each batch varies and displays a set of unique characteristics. This is simply down to our oils never being refined, deodorized or filtered.However, you will still be getting the same great quality and benefits from the oil.
- Carrot Oil for Face In the process of making In the process of making my carrot Oil today on low heat, the carrot turned brown unlike other days when I do it myself. Hope the oil will still work on my face and skin.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil my pomegranate seed oil is light golden color(not paler) could it be a good quality?
- Carrot Oil for Face If cooking is not recommended, so what is recommended. Cause most people cooked it
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenDear Amanda, thank you for your message. There should not be interactions between Ashwagandha and tamoxifen. However, I would recommend that you consult a proper herbalist or your GP before staring to take this herb. Herbal remedies act differently on people. I hope this helps.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenIs this supplement safe for women who have had ER+ breast cancer I've been on tamoxifen for 2 years and it pushed me head first into horrendous menopausal symptoms which show no sign of waning I am looking for something natural to help with stress sleep issues and increase my energy