Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Yoga poses help nonagenarian stay in shape
If there was ever a good reason to pick up our Yoga equipment and practise our poses, Tao Porchon-Lynch would be it.
The 93-year-old has been a devotee of Yoga for her entire adult life and - despite having a hip replacement nine years ago - is still active and flexible.
She told the Daily Mail: "I do Yoga before I go to bed and I do Yoga with my students when I get up in the morning. I’m up every morning at five o’clock and I usually go to bed around midnight."
The former actress credits her ability to pose on Yoga mats with her ongoing energy and zest for life, explaining that she enjoys subverting other people’s expectations of her.
"I’m very stubborn about it. When people say it can’t be done, I have to do it. "It’s just a matter of putting your mind on it," she said.
The nonagenarian has also taken up ballroom dancing in her advanced years, adding it to the waltz, jitterbug, samba, cha cha cha and other forms of dance she has mastered.
"There’s so much to learn and I just feel I don’t have enough time to learn everything," she opined.
"The greatest thrill that you can really have is to see someone who says I can’t do it and show them they can."
Meanwhile, Boston.com has come up with a number of ways you can protect yourself from injury while you’re perfecting your Yoga posture.
It recommends giving your muscles a chance to recover from each workout, so don’t be tempted to practise Yoga every day. If you want to stay active in between sessions, try swimming, running or cycling for a cardiovascular workout.
The news source also advises not trying to stretch into poses you can’t quite get the hang of - if you push yourself too hard you may hurt yourself, so go slow to start with.
Posted by Freya Harper
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Dear Fatima, thank you for your message. For your type of skin Almond oil is ok -- its comedogenic level is 2 out of 5, it means it's not going to clog your pores. If you are looking for something even lower on that scale, you should go for Argan, Rosehip, Grapeseed, Hemp -oil which are 0-1. I hope this helps.
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Hi, would it be advisable to use almond oil on acne prone skin. I have a little bit of acne but have lots of dark spots left by acne.
- Ashwagandha benefits for menThanks for this great article. I have begun to take Ashwagandha, and my husband asked if it might be good for him too. Looks like it is, so thank you for the info.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hi Lin, Fushi's pomegranate seed oil is a non-standardised, unrefined and natural oil. Each batch varies and displays a set of unique characteristics. This is simply down to our oils never being refined, deodorized or filtered.However, you will still be getting the same great quality and benefits from the oil.
- Carrot Oil for Face In the process of making In the process of making my carrot Oil today on low heat, the carrot turned brown unlike other days when I do it myself. Hope the oil will still work on my face and skin.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil my pomegranate seed oil is light golden color(not paler) could it be a good quality?