Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Yoga poses help nonagenarian stay in shape
If there was ever a good reason to pick up our Yoga equipment and practise our poses, Tao Porchon-Lynch would be it.
The 93-year-old has been a devotee of Yoga for her entire adult life and - despite having a hip replacement nine years ago - is still active and flexible.
She told the Daily Mail: "I do Yoga before I go to bed and I do Yoga with my students when I get up in the morning. I’m up every morning at five o’clock and I usually go to bed around midnight."
The former actress credits her ability to pose on Yoga mats with her ongoing energy and zest for life, explaining that she enjoys subverting other people’s expectations of her.
"I’m very stubborn about it. When people say it can’t be done, I have to do it. "It’s just a matter of putting your mind on it," she said.
The nonagenarian has also taken up ballroom dancing in her advanced years, adding it to the waltz, jitterbug, samba, cha cha cha and other forms of dance she has mastered.
"There’s so much to learn and I just feel I don’t have enough time to learn everything," she opined.
"The greatest thrill that you can really have is to see someone who says I can’t do it and show them they can."
Meanwhile, Boston.com has come up with a number of ways you can protect yourself from injury while you’re perfecting your Yoga posture.
It recommends giving your muscles a chance to recover from each workout, so don’t be tempted to practise Yoga every day. If you want to stay active in between sessions, try swimming, running or cycling for a cardiovascular workout.
The news source also advises not trying to stretch into poses you can’t quite get the hang of - if you push yourself too hard you may hurt yourself, so go slow to start with.
Posted by Freya Harper
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHello. Technically Ashwagandha should not have interactions with Hormone Replacement Therapy as it works on the body's stress response. That said, we always recommend people taking any medication to double check any interactions with their practitioner. Take care. :)
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHi, if I'm on hormone replacement therapy (estrogen and progesterone), can I also take this for menopause symptoms, stress, and brain fog issues associated with menopause?
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyHi Fred, Unfortunately, I am unable to advise on this since you are taking medication. Herbal remedies can interact with other drugs. You should approach any kind of supplement or medication with equal caution (prescription and non-prescription). It is best to seek advice from your GP.
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyIs it safe to take 500mg Ashwaganda once a day whilst taking fluoxetine 20mg Once a day?
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi Mercy, yes Carrot oil is usually made using carrot fruit infused in almond oil :) The oil should be stored in a cool, dark place to maintain the maximum shelf life. You can also store it in the refrigerator. It Will keep for 6-8 months if stored properly.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi, I made carrot oil from almond oil and carrot fruit, is it good? And how do I keep it to avoid spoilage