Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Your sunscreen ’should provide antioxidants’
Although the recent cold spell and April showers have put a stop to our plans to go out in our spring wardrobe, it is still important to ensure we protect our skin against the damage posed by UVA and UVB rays produced by the sun.
Louise Thomas-Minns, skin therapist and founder of uandyourskin.co.uk, said that as well as speeding up the ageing process, prolonged exposure to the sun can cause skin cancer.
"I get very cross when even now, with all of the knowledge available to us, we still have this obsession with getting a tan. A tanned skin is an unhealthy skin," she commented.
"You should be using a sunscreen with a maximum factor of 30 since, if you are using a product with titanium or zinc oxide, this will give you the best, broadest spectrum of protection against both UVA and UVB. It’s also more beneficial if your sunscreen contains antioxidants too. Look out for those with vitamin E or the super-charged antioxidant Idebenone."
Other herbal oils and solutions are said to be good for treating sunburn if you do forget to apply sunscreen before going out. Turmeric in particular is used to calm reddened skin and can be applied topically as a powder or paste, or else stirred into warm water or milk and drunk as a tincture.
Turmeric contains antioxidants that fight against the damage caused to skin cells by free radicals. The spice is also used as a natural antiseptic and may help minor cuts, bruises and burns to heal faster when applied to the affected area.
Other herbal remedies for sunburnt skin include aloe vera, which cools and soothes painful skin. The juice of the plant also boasts eight essential amino acids that our body cannot produce naturally, so it is a useful product to keep in the bathroom cabinet.
Posted by Laura Andrews
- Coconut Organic Oil Virgin Fresh-Pressed60% OFFAs low as £2.40 Regular Price £6.00
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you Emiliano for your comment. In this blog we are referring more to oils, more so than butters and while we agree with you Shea is an excellent emollient for hair, it's consistency is more buttery and it is used more as a leave-in remedy to smooth hair texture. We have suggested Coconut oil as it helps slow down hair loss by penetrating deep into your hair shaft to prevent protein loss, which in turn prevents breakage. When applied to your scalp, it simultaneously moisturises and removes build-up around your hair follicles to encourage hair growth and is one of base oils always used in Ayurveda for hair treatments. As this post is more focused for hair and not for skin, the comedogenic scale applies to skin/pores and not hair follicles. Thank you again for your feedback.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Hello Zu, yes hair loss can be very stressful and this in turn amplifies the cause almost.. Perhaps with Covid, your system may have been depleted of nutrients and fighting the virus can take its toll on your immune system, so sometimes our hair and skin suffer when we have been ill. We really believe in oils for scalp massage as the best way to revive the growth and help regenerate the follicles. It may be also worth at looking at internal supplements and making sure you are getting enough of omega oils, perhaps plant based such as nuts and seeds in your diet. For external oil treatment, would recommend the Really Good Hair oil which we create with Brahmi, this herb is known to help bring the scalp back to health and improve growth. Biotin is also a good vitamin to take as a supplement to help with hair growth so do look into that. So hope these tips will be helpful for you.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?I, am very surprised that your article did not include Organic Shea Butter and that coconut oil, is your number one choice for hair growth and thickness. According to the comedogenic scale, coconut oil, has a rating of (4), on a scale from (0), to (5), on clogging your pores. Why would anyone put coconut oil, on their hair or skin knowing the pores will get clogged up. Shea Butter, on the other hand has a (0), rating on the comedogenic scale, which is great for dry hair and skin and won't clog up your pores.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you for your very informative article. I suffered COVID in December, 2020, and in February I started experience extreme hair loss and all my hair jus falls like a person who is under going Chemo therapy. It's very depressing. Had to cut off all my hair and even the little that is left is falling off daily not sure what to do. Please suggest something.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) You can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning/during the day since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. You can also mix a few drops of Carrot Oil with your favorite face cream. You can do that at least twice a week or include it in your daily skincare routine. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Can I use the carrot oil in the day time? Because I am using Vitamin c serum in the night. Please advise. Thanks