Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Your sunscreen ’should provide antioxidants’
Although the recent cold spell and April showers have put a stop to our plans to go out in our spring wardrobe, it is still important to ensure we protect our skin against the damage posed by UVA and UVB rays produced by the sun.
Louise Thomas-Minns, skin therapist and founder of uandyourskin.co.uk, said that as well as speeding up the ageing process, prolonged exposure to the sun can cause skin cancer.
"I get very cross when even now, with all of the knowledge available to us, we still have this obsession with getting a tan. A tanned skin is an unhealthy skin," she commented.
"You should be using a sunscreen with a maximum factor of 30 since, if you are using a product with titanium or zinc oxide, this will give you the best, broadest spectrum of protection against both UVA and UVB. It’s also more beneficial if your sunscreen contains antioxidants too. Look out for those with vitamin E or the super-charged antioxidant Idebenone."
Other herbal oils and solutions are said to be good for treating sunburn if you do forget to apply sunscreen before going out. Turmeric in particular is used to calm reddened skin and can be applied topically as a powder or paste, or else stirred into warm water or milk and drunk as a tincture.
Turmeric contains antioxidants that fight against the damage caused to skin cells by free radicals. The spice is also used as a natural antiseptic and may help minor cuts, bruises and burns to heal faster when applied to the affected area.
Other herbal remedies for sunburnt skin include aloe vera, which cools and soothes painful skin. The juice of the plant also boasts eight essential amino acids that our body cannot produce naturally, so it is a useful product to keep in the bathroom cabinet.
Posted by Laura Andrews
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyHi Fred, Unfortunately, I am unable to advise on this since you are taking medication. Herbal remedies can interact with other drugs. You should approach any kind of supplement or medication with equal caution (prescription and non-prescription). It is best to seek advice from your GP.
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyIs it safe to take 500mg Ashwaganda once a day whilst taking fluoxetine 20mg Once a day?
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi Mercy, yes Carrot oil is usually made using carrot fruit infused in almond oil :) The oil should be stored in a cool, dark place to maintain the maximum shelf life. You can also store it in the refrigerator. It Will keep for 6-8 months if stored properly.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi, I made carrot oil from almond oil and carrot fruit, is it good? And how do I keep it to avoid spoilage
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHello :) There are no studies that indicates negative effects on femininity and hirsutism on women. Studies have shown that Ashwagandha is a magical herb for women of all ages and the benefits for women are plenty. When consumed regularly, it can have a positive effect on physical and mental health. Hope this helps.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenI have heard that using this herb cause negative effects on femininity and some times produces hair on face of woman.