Cookies on fushi.co.uk
An apple a day really can keep the doctor away
A new study has found that if all adults over the age of 50 were to eat an apple daily, it could delay or prevent altogether around 8,500 heart-related deaths within the UK every year.
The research comes from the British Heart Foundation and Oxford University and suggests that daily apples could help to reduce the number of heart attacks and strokes suffered every year in the UK.
Published in the 'British Medical journal', the study shows that apples provide benefits to over-50s that are incredibly similar to those obtained by taking cholesterol-lowering drugs called statins. According to the researchers, a daily apples offer the same benefits as giving these drugs to older people who are not already taking them.
The new research confirms that the old adage 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away' is factual and could be more beneficial than drug treatments. As well as being available to a wider number of people, apples are also likely to create fewer side effects that statins, according to the researchers.
People that are at risk of developing heart problems that could lead to heart attacks and strokes are advised to alter their lifestyle in a bid to reduce this possibility and improve their health. However, previous studies have found that the chance of such complications like stroke and heart attack can be reduced by taking statins, whether or not someone has an underlying risk of developing heart disease.
This has led to many people arguing the case for the increase in the use of statins, especially when it comes to treating those over the age of 50. Unfortunately this type of drug can also result in a number of unpleasant side effects, such as diabetes, muscle atrophy and damage to the liver.
The researchers estimated that around 70 per cent of people that are prescribed statins follow the course of treatment. They suggest that around 5.2 million people are currently eligible to receive statins while a further 17.66 million would be prescribed them if they became the primary measure against heart-related death in over-50s.
With these figures, they were able to estimate that heart-related deaths would be reduced by 9,400 a year in the UK if statins were given to the extra 17.6 million people. However, if 70 per cent of the UK's population of over-50s were to eat an apple a day - around 22 million people - it would help avoid around 8,500 deaths a year and offer fewer side effects.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you for your very informative article. I suffered COVID in December, 2020, and in February I started experience extreme hair loss and all my hair jus falls like a person who is under going Chemo therapy. It's very depressing. Had to cut off all my hair and even the little that is left is falling off daily not sure what to do. Please suggest something.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) You can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning/during the day since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. You can also mix a few drops of Carrot Oil with your favorite face cream. You can do that at least twice a week or include it in your daily skincare routine. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Can I use the carrot oil in the day time? Because I am using Vitamin c serum in the night. Please advise. Thanks
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) Carrot Oil contains Beta Carotene and Vitamin A which, by eliminating toxic build-up and repairing sun-damaged skin, helps to improve skin complexion. Antiseptic properties also assist in reducing breakouts and the formation of acne. It is also great for hydrating the skin. So mixing it with Jojoba oil may help. I would also recommend mixing Jojoba oil and Tamanu oil as both have great moisturising properties and are great for acne prone skin. Hope this helps!
- Carrot Oil for Face I have acne. I have been using jojoba oil only but I noticed my face is sometimes dry. If I add carrot oil will it help moisturize my face and clear the spots or should I join argan oil to the mix?
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyI found a supplement that is 500 mg, 120 Count. Do you recommend taking 1 capsule daily? or 2 capsules? I also take thyroid medication and an SSRI among other things.