Cookies on fushi.co.uk
THE ADAPTOGEN OF THE MONTH
By Jade Ellis
SPOTLIGHT ON… ASHWAGANDHA!
The Indian wonder herb, Ashwagandha: An antidote for stressful living.
Adaptogens are having a moment, and rightly deserved!
They can specifically act to support your adrenal glands; the glands that manage your hormonal response to stress and help you cope with anxiety and fatigue. Adaptogens can work with your specific needs, and adapt their function to your body’s needs.
What is Ashwagandha’s origin?
Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera) is also commonly known as other names, such as Indian Ginseng, Poison Gooseberry or Winter cherry. Ashwagandha is a plant in the Solanaceae or Nightshade family.
Adaptogens are anything but new, and have actually been used for centuries in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine. Ashwagandha is one of the most important herbs in Ayurveda; a form of alternative medicine based on Indian principles of natural healing. This herb dates all the way back to 6000BC. Traditionally, the roots of the plant are dried and ground into a powder which is still how you will still find the herb today. Fushi’s Ashwagandha capsules are organic and freshly ground. We only use the natural form of the herb; our capsules are just pure fresh Ashwagandha.
How do you use this herb?
Typically, this herb was mixed into a tea, or used with Ghee. You can take herbal supplements in powdered form, or as a Tincture, where the herbs are preserved in sugar cane alcohol, for a more potent effect.
A more modern take on using this herb is mixing it into a smoothie or making an adaptogenic latte, which have grown in popularity in many different health cafés’. This is a great way to take a little break from drinking coffee, and consume something which is going to be beneficial for your body and for your mind.
What are the benefits of Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) has become one of the most popular Ayurvedic herbs to use in the Western world. This is self-explanatory when looking at the many benefits this herb has to offer. This herb has been used for thousands of years as a rejuvenate and adaptogen, being known to help the body resist physiological and psychological stress.
Ashwagandha is an adaptogenic, Indian-grown root which supports vitality and entire balance of the body. It has been known to support a healthy immune system and has been revered over time for its dual capacity to energize and calm at the same time.
Stress is so detrimental to our bodies and can often manifest in different ways, such as insomnia or agitation. Ashwagandha has been known to promote a sense of calm and relaxation while nourishing the nervous system, which can get overworked when we’re stressed. This herb may act to nourish and provide an energizing effect for our system.
In addition to being beneficial for stress, there are also a number of other benefits to Ashwagandha. This wonderful herb has been known to support and calm your mind, benefit your immune system, healthy sleep patterns, healthy reproductive system, endurance, healthy joints, blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels.
What are WITHANOLOIDS?
Withanoloids are the compounds of the root of Withania Somniferia (Ashwagandha plant). They are what is believed to account for the herbs extraordinary medical properties!
These compounds are a natural chemical found in Ashwagandha leaves and stems. Withanoloids are known to have antioxidant effects and to support the body’s healthy response in many ways, such as reducing stress. The Ashwagandha supplements need a high concentration of these compounds to be effective.
Our new high strength Ashwagandha Extract (with vegan MCT’s), contains a minimum of 5% Withanoloids. This is the highest percentage that can be acquired in a supplement. This blend also contains Vegan Medium Chain Triglycerides to potentiate the action of the Ashwagandha, which are derived from Coconut oil.
This can also help with absorption rate and energy production. The absorption rate is extremely important and by increasing this we are making sure that the blend is potent and effective, and of the highest possible strength. Lemon balm is also added to help further nourish the nervous system, plus this herb has wonderful anti-viral properties!
Ashwagandha really is an amazing herb, full of incredible qualities to help nourish and support your system, just in time for the winter!
Ashwagandha Extract with Vegan MCT, High Strength, 60 caps, £12.00
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyHi Fred, Unfortunately, I am unable to advise on this since you are taking medication. Herbal remedies can interact with other drugs. You should approach any kind of supplement or medication with equal caution (prescription and non-prescription). It is best to seek advice from your GP.
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyIs it safe to take 500mg Ashwaganda once a day whilst taking fluoxetine 20mg Once a day?
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi Mercy, yes Carrot oil is usually made using carrot fruit infused in almond oil :) The oil should be stored in a cool, dark place to maintain the maximum shelf life. You can also store it in the refrigerator. It Will keep for 6-8 months if stored properly.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi, I made carrot oil from almond oil and carrot fruit, is it good? And how do I keep it to avoid spoilage
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHello :) There are no studies that indicates negative effects on femininity and hirsutism on women. Studies have shown that Ashwagandha is a magical herb for women of all ages and the benefits for women are plenty. When consumed regularly, it can have a positive effect on physical and mental health. Hope this helps.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenI have heard that using this herb cause negative effects on femininity and some times produces hair on face of woman.