Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Be sure to prepare for your yoga class
Yoga is brilliant for relaxing both the mind and body, but you won't feel the benefits of it if you aren't properly prepared.
However, following this simple check list prior to each session could help to make sure you are making the most of your yoga class.
Wear the right clothes
Although yoga is a gentle exercise, it will work all of your muscles and require you to be able to move freely. Therefore, it is important that you come to class wearing the appropriate clothing.
Starting with the basics, women should ensure they are wearing a sports bra, as this will help keep breasts supported while exercising. Yoga isn't a high impact sport but there is a lot of bending required and you could be in a lot of discomfort doing this in a standard wired or low cut bra.
According to Mary Comber, editor of Health and Fitness magazine, sport bras are also important to prevent breasts sagging.
Another important element when dressing for your yoga class is to ensure clothes move well with the body, aren't restrictive and let the skin breathe. You should also remember that you could be bending forward and back, so a t-shirt that falls forward isn't a good idea, as you could find yourself a bit exposed.
If you're heading to your first yoga class, you should also bear in mind that you don't wear trainers and socks as in many other exercise sessions.
Bring the correct equipment
While some classes will provide equipment for you, it's always best to have your own. Yoga mats, blocks and straps are the main things you'll need for your class.
Mats are considered by many as the most essential thing, as they give a cushioned, non-slip surface on which to do exercises.
Yoga straps will help to support the hands, feet and buttocks when placed underneath, and will allow you to maintain the correct form.
Straps are also useful if you aren't particularly flexible and can aid in teaching more challenging balancing postures.
Prepare the body
To ensure your body is in the right condition to do yoga it is important not to have a big meal right before a class. Eating lightly a few hours beforehand will ensure food is properly digested and you have enough energy to complete the session.
However, make sure you drink water prior to the class, as you're often not allowed to consume liquids during exercises.
Posted by Freya Harper
- Carrot Oil for Face Which essential oil is best mix with carrot oil for face and body
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi Praise, Carrot oil, which is a carrier oil does have a slight ability to protect skin from the sun. However, it does not clear sunburn from your face or any of the oils you have mentioned. Coconut oil, Aloe Vera or Calendula oil might help. You can also apply essential oils that help sooth sun burn with either jojoba oil or sweet almond oil. The best essential oils for this would be lavender or peppermint. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Please, can I mix tumeric oil, carrot oil, jojoba oil and sweet almond to clear sunburn on my face
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi D, indeed there is conflicting information on whether Shatavari can be taken during pregnancy or not. Some studies showed that Shatavari can affect milk supply during lactation, and that Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) has possible teratogenicity so it should be avoided in pregnancy. Other studies showed that Shatavari is an ingredient in most herbal teas which are recommended to be taken during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I would recommend that you consult your GP or a qualified herbalist who deals with pregnant women before taking anything, in case you are already taking some supplements/ drugs or herbs to help with your pregnancy.
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi, there's conflicting information whether this can still be taking during pregnancy. What do you suggest as I use your brand and trying to conceive?
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Dear Fatima, thank you for your message. For your type of skin Almond oil is ok -- its comedogenic level is 2 out of 5, it means it's not going to clog your pores. If you are looking for something even lower on that scale, you should go for Argan, Rosehip, Grapeseed, Hemp -oil which are 0-1. I hope this helps.