Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Benefits of oil pulling
Oil pulling is one of the oldest folk remedies that are still around today. It is believed that the method can freshen breath and whiten teeth.
So, what is oil pulling? It generally starts with a teaspoon of oil - usually cold pressed sesame or sunflower oil - which is then gargled around the mouth for around 20 minutes. The aim of this is to force the liquid to through the teeth and gums.
After twenty minutes, the oil is then spat out. It is important that you don’t swallow it!
What does the oil do?
Other than leaving a strange taste in your mouth, the oil is supposed to remove all the bacteria, germs and toxins that live between the teeth and around the gums.
The plaque that sticks to our gnashers becomes attached to the liquid, causing it to lose its yellow hue and become a milky colour as it is swished around the mouth.
If you are going to try oil pulling, it is best to do it first thing in the morning before eating breakfast and ahead of brushing your teeth. This means the oil pulling will have the maximum impact.
What are the benefits?
Some people believe oil pulling has a host of benefits, other than freshening and cleansing the mouth. There are some who claim gargling the liquid activates certain enzymes that draw out toxins in the blood.
Other believe that the method can boost the metabolism, fix loose teeth, treat bleeding gums and whiten the teeth. There are some far-fetched claims that it can extend your life span, but this is highly unlikely.
There are hundreds of different bacteria living in the mouth at any given time. Like the rest of the body, some of these are beneficial to us and some are harmful. Plaque combined with saliva can form hard deposits called tartar.
Unfortunately, this compound can’t be removed by simply brushing the teeth. It builds it hard to reach areas, usually between the teeth and gums.
This can lead to conditions such as gingivitis, where the gums become irritable and inflamed. In some cases, this condition can cause the teeth to separate from the gums, allowing other infections to develop.
Once these infections set up shop in the mouth they will not be content in just staying there. They can spread to the bones and tissues surrounding the teeth, which could cause them to completely break down.
Every time you swallow, you send the bacteria living in the mouth down to the rest of the body. If there is an infection this can be spread to the digestive tract and bloodstream.
Oil pulling can supposedly get rid of these harmful bacteria and toxins to stop them getting further into our systems.
This is why it is incredibly important that you take care of your mouth and teeth. If you don’t fancy swilling oil, brush your teeth twice a day, floss and use mouthwash for extra protection.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hi Lin, Fushi's pomegranate seed oil is a non-standardised, unrefined and natural oil. Each batch varies and displays a set of unique characteristics. This is simply down to our oils never being refined, deodorized or filtered.However, you will still be getting the same great quality and benefits from the oil.
- Carrot Oil for Face In the process of making In the process of making my carrot Oil today on low heat, the carrot turned brown unlike other days when I do it myself. Hope the oil will still work on my face and skin.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil my pomegranate seed oil is light golden color(not paler) could it be a good quality?
- Carrot Oil for Face If cooking is not recommended, so what is recommended. Cause most people cooked it
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenDear Amanda, thank you for your message. There should not be interactions between Ashwagandha and tamoxifen. However, I would recommend that you consult a proper herbalist or your GP before staring to take this herb. Herbal remedies act differently on people. I hope this helps.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenIs this supplement safe for women who have had ER+ breast cancer I've been on tamoxifen for 2 years and it pushed me head first into horrendous menopausal symptoms which show no sign of waning I am looking for something natural to help with stress sleep issues and increase my energy