Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Can foods protect your skin from the sun?
The summer is finally here and the sun is shining. However, with the good weather comes the risk of sunburn.
While suntan lotion can help to protect the skin, it is also beneficial to build up a natural resistance.
This may sound difficult but there are foods you can eat that offer protection against the sun and promote healthy living at the same time.
Fruit and vegetables
There are certain fruit and vegetables that can help to build a barrier against UV and reduce the irritation that the sun can cause.
Strawberries are one fruit that has been found to protect against ultraviolet radiation and skin damage in a recent study.
Research leader Maurizio Battino stated: "We have verified the protecting effect of strawberry extract against damage to skin cells caused by UVA rays".
It is believed this is caused by anthocyanins, which are pigments that give flowers and fruits their red colour.
Other fruit and vegetables that are thought to protect against the sun are tomatoes, broccoli, kale and cauliflower.
Containing the pigments lycopene and carotenoids, tomatoes offer protective benefits against sun-induced skin irritations and reactions to sunburn. These pigments are also found in other red and orange fruit and vegetables.
Broccoli, kale and cauliflower are cruciferous vegetables, which are packed with antioxidants that are believed to prevent sunburn.
Fish rich in Omega-3
Omega-3 fatty acids are important anti-inflammatory agents and can protect against free radical damage from the sun. They are found in lots of foods, but shellfish and fatty fish are the best for ensuring you maximise your intake.
Indulge in dark chocolate
Although not good for you in copious amounts, dark chocolate contains flavanoids, which keep the skin hydrated, increase oxygen intake and blood flow. They also play a protective role against the sun.
Put the kettle on
Green and black teas are suspected of possessing UV protective properties, as they contain polyphenols, which are believed to be key in the fight against skin cancer.
Posted by Matilda Jones
- Skin, Hair & Nails Herbal Tincture Blend 100mlAs low as £20.00
- De-stress Skullcap & Lemon Balm Herbal Tincture Blend 100mlAs low as £20.00
- Lemon Balm Organic Tincture 100mlAs low as £11.00
- Carrot Oil for Face Which essential oil is best mix with carrot oil for face and body
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi Praise, Carrot oil, which is a carrier oil does have a slight ability to protect skin from the sun. However, it does not clear sunburn from your face or any of the oils you have mentioned. Coconut oil, Aloe Vera or Calendula oil might help. You can also apply essential oils that help sooth sun burn with either jojoba oil or sweet almond oil. The best essential oils for this would be lavender or peppermint. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Please, can I mix tumeric oil, carrot oil, jojoba oil and sweet almond to clear sunburn on my face
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi D, indeed there is conflicting information on whether Shatavari can be taken during pregnancy or not. Some studies showed that Shatavari can affect milk supply during lactation, and that Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) has possible teratogenicity so it should be avoided in pregnancy. Other studies showed that Shatavari is an ingredient in most herbal teas which are recommended to be taken during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I would recommend that you consult your GP or a qualified herbalist who deals with pregnant women before taking anything, in case you are already taking some supplements/ drugs or herbs to help with your pregnancy.
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi, there's conflicting information whether this can still be taking during pregnancy. What do you suggest as I use your brand and trying to conceive?
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Dear Fatima, thank you for your message. For your type of skin Almond oil is ok -- its comedogenic level is 2 out of 5, it means it's not going to clog your pores. If you are looking for something even lower on that scale, you should go for Argan, Rosehip, Grapeseed, Hemp -oil which are 0-1. I hope this helps.