Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Getting geared up in your yoga gear - Choosing the right yoga clothes for you
Sophie Kalinauckas, Yoga professional
Do your leggings stick to you during yoga practice?
Is your top the undoing of your modesty?
Is your t-shirt falling over your face in certain asanas?
It is easy to feel intimidated by the range of clothing options available to yogis, especially if you are a beginner. However, it is important to remember that the purpose of yoga is to relax and mediate. You don’t want to cause yourself any extra stress. The secret to selecting the most suitable yoga wear is to choose clothing which you can forget about during your yoga work-out. Yoga involves a set of movements and breathing techniques which help you to release mental and physical stress and focus on the present moment. It is dedicated to reaching the ultimate goal of peace, bringing the spirit and the body together. The last thing you want is your mind fogging over with concerns about your yoga attire or worrying about feeling uncomfortable. If you are geared up in appropriate yoga gear then you are able to focus on what is important, the yoga itself.
Yoga pants are a necessity, especially if you are frequently practicing yoga. They are the most purchased yoga item. Previously, there were only a few styles of yoga pants available which were cotton and medium rise with some basic give. Now there are cherries of choices, which means you can find the best to suit you. You can choose from or trousers which have elastic waists and fit with different body shapes, view product. Some yoga trousers have foldable waists which create an extra degree of comfort view product. Others might feel more comfortable with a capri- style option, which are particularly popular for men. You can also go for pants which hold you in and enhance your strength and even pants which claim to tone you whilst wearing them, bettering your workout session.
The other essential piece of yoga wear is a yoga top. Like pants, there are many designs and options to choose from. When deciding upon a yoga top, you’ll want to consider something which covers you modestly but is not too baggy. You want to avoid items with slack necklines. A popular choice are cotton tank tops or t-shirts which support the torso view products. These are available for both men and women. Girls, the most important item for you is going to be a support or sports bra. Bras which have fastenings, stitching or are patterned can cause a lot of discomfort in yoga positions, particularly if you are lying on your back. A wonderful alternative is the yoga top with a build in bra for extra support view products.
Stylish for Style
Yoga has evolved into a compass of disciplines and methods over the years. Your choice of yoga style will influence your purchases as yoga styles vary from strenuous, relaxing, holding long movements, heated and fast moving. Beginner classes such as Hatha Yoga or Vinyasa Yoga are based on coordination of movement and breathing. With these types of yoga, your yoga wear is quite relaxed. You might want to go for something a little looser view product to help you feel more relaxed. Full-length yoga trousers view products are suitable for classes which have less intense movement. A Power Yoga class or Ashtanga yoga are more intense and advanced. These types of practice focus on constant movement and involve more challenging poses. With these types of yoga you’ll want to wear something which is slightly tighter and hugs your figure such as view whole yoga range. Iyengar yoga puts an emphasis on holding poses for long periods of time. It pays attention to balance and stretching. A yoga tank top is a good choice here, as Iyengar requires a lot of arm movement and this means that sleeves won’t distract you. A lightweight sweatshirt may also be useful at the start of your session when movements are less intense, to enhance your body temperature. Bikram yoga or Hot Yoga takes place in heated rooms to induce sweating. With these heated forms of yoga it is advisable to go for clothing options which help to keep you cool, dry and eliminate sweat. A sports bra is essential for Bikram as they help you to cool down view products. You’ll also want to consider cropped yoga pants. Men have the option in Bikram to go topless.
All about you
The most important tip when picking out your yoga garments is to be true to yourself. The beauty of yoga is that it is about getting know yourself better. There are no demands or social pressures to pick out the most fashionable gear, with yoga you are open to wear whatever you feel most comfortable with. New yoga-goers should avoid very loose and slack clothing, pants with a drawstring can cause discomfort when lying down and shorts can also cause problems in difficult upside-down asansas. The yoga term anusara, means to be playful, expecting to laugh and go up-side down, if your attire is getting in the way it defeats this purpose. Make sure you think about your body shape when choosing yoga wear. Yoga consists of a variety of different movements, so your yoga wear needs to allow for easy mobility. Yoga embraces freedom, you want your clothes to let you move freely, with no restrictions. Just like your mind can restrict you in many ways, don’t let your clothing get in the way.
Materials For Movement
There are many different materials available for all different types of yoga wear. The most common fabrics are soft and allow for maximum stretching. Breathable materials such as view products are a wise choice. You also want a material that does not rub against you or irritate your skin, especially if you have sensitive skin,. Most yoga clothing absorbs moisture from the skin, which keeps it dry and cool in your practices. For those eco-friendly yogis there are organic cotton or bamboo alternatives. There are also tops and pants which are made from thicker or thinner fabrics view products. This might be determined by the type of yoga you are practicing or temperature might also be a thought priority depending on the time of year. A zipped hoody can be useful for warms ups and cools downs, to maintain the right body temperature you feel comfortable with.
Fit you personality
Don’t forget about your own personality. This is an important element in your clothing selection. There are many colour choices on offer. Some yogis might want to opt for light and natural colours to match with yoga’s natural and earthly environment. However, for those wanting to make their own stylish statement you can choose yoga wear with various designs and brighter colours such as During those frosty mornings your yoga outfit may not be keeping you warm on the yoga commute or after your cool-down. It might be useful to invest in a long sleeved yoga top view products or layer your clothing to maintain warmth. One option it to buy a yoga shawl, this is an efficient option as it prevents you getting cold but it can also act as a blanket in your yoga relaxation techniques. Bear in mind that you can also keep things professional. If you’re heading straight, to or from the office you may not have the space or time to change your clothing. What’s great is that some yoga pants can be disguised or can blend in as office wear for women. You can also wear your yoga trousers on a trip to the shops or the school pick-up.
Accessorise your asanas.
Once you have your essentials taken care of, you can pick out some extra accessories. Yoga can be practised with both socks or with bare feet. There are now a range of yoga socks on offer in many different designs. You can choose from traning socks, these are ankle high and have a high moisture absorption capacity, making them a necessary complement to your fitness and yoga wardrobe. Certain socks also come with the anti-slip soles that are perfect for those awkward yoga asanas for which you need more grip.
Other very useful yoga props are the yoga block which helps especially with stretches and postures where you need that extra support and height. The yoga bolster also helps with your yoga practise as it provides structural support for every move you make. Both yoga bolsters and blocks are designed to help with the more difficult postures where you may need some cushioning, support and balance.
Take your time in picking your yoga gear and search for the best yoga-suit for you. You’ll soon be looking fab, relaxed and on the road to tranquillity.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you Emiliano for your comment. In this blog we are referring more to oils, more so than butters and while we agree with you Shea is an excellent emollient for hair, it's consistency is more buttery and it is used more as a leave-in remedy to smooth hair texture. We have suggested Coconut oil as it helps slow down hair loss by penetrating deep into your hair shaft to prevent protein loss, which in turn prevents breakage. When applied to your scalp, it simultaneously moisturises and removes build-up around your hair follicles to encourage hair growth and is one of base oils always used in Ayurveda for hair treatments. As this post is more focused for hair and not for skin, the comedogenic scale applies to skin/pores and not hair follicles. Thank you again for your feedback.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Hello Zu, yes hair loss can be very stressful and this in turn amplifies the cause almost.. Perhaps with Covid, your system may have been depleted of nutrients and fighting the virus can take its toll on your immune system, so sometimes our hair and skin suffer when we have been ill. We really believe in oils for scalp massage as the best way to revive the growth and help regenerate the follicles. It may be also worth at looking at internal supplements and making sure you are getting enough of omega oils, perhaps plant based such as nuts and seeds in your diet. For external oil treatment, would recommend the Really Good Hair oil which we create with Brahmi, this herb is known to help bring the scalp back to health and improve growth. Biotin is also a good vitamin to take as a supplement to help with hair growth so do look into that. So hope these tips will be helpful for you.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?I, am very surprised that your article did not include Organic Shea Butter and that coconut oil, is your number one choice for hair growth and thickness. According to the comedogenic scale, coconut oil, has a rating of (4), on a scale from (0), to (5), on clogging your pores. Why would anyone put coconut oil, on their hair or skin knowing the pores will get clogged up. Shea Butter, on the other hand has a (0), rating on the comedogenic scale, which is great for dry hair and skin and won't clog up your pores.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you for your very informative article. I suffered COVID in December, 2020, and in February I started experience extreme hair loss and all my hair jus falls like a person who is under going Chemo therapy. It's very depressing. Had to cut off all my hair and even the little that is left is falling off daily not sure what to do. Please suggest something.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) You can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning/during the day since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. You can also mix a few drops of Carrot Oil with your favorite face cream. You can do that at least twice a week or include it in your daily skincare routine. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Can I use the carrot oil in the day time? Because I am using Vitamin c serum in the night. Please advise. Thanks