Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Coconut oil beats the bad press
When you hear coconut, you automatically think healthy. After all, it's a fruit right?
But for years coconut oil has had a really bad press as a high-fat food we should all steer clear of. But as the experts are getting more familiar with good and bad cholesterol, it seems the tide has turned for coconut oil.
Coconut Oil: So what's different?
In the past, studies showed that coconut oil was full of saturated fat, a term that immediately rings alarm bells. Saturated fat has traditionally been said to lead to clogged arteries and heart problems. However, more recently the science buffs have said some saturated fats in a balanced diet can create HDL - a'good' cholesterol -and lowers the risk of heart disease. Good news!
Coconut oil is at its best though in its virgin form. When it is hydrogenated – like it is in snack food – it turns into a trans fat, which is a big health no-no. Trans fats are not natural to the body - or nature! - and should generally be avoided.
Give your body a boost with coconut oil
So as well as dropping the fatty reputation, coconut oil has been found to have a range of health benefits. A recent study by the Athlone Institute of Technology in Ireland found that treated coconut oil prevented the growth of one of the major causes of tooth decay – the streptococcus bacteria. As around a third of UK adults have tooth decay, it could help loads of us get a nicer smile.
Support your immune system
Although as yet unproven, coconut oil could help the body fight off infection. It contains a natural antibiotic that the body makes itself, called monolaurin, which can ward off infection. Some claim that putting a little coconut oil on cuts and bruises could even make them heal faster. But for its soothing qualities alone coconut oil could be described as a health-booster. A little coconut oil after a tough day makes you feel more restful, relieving stress.
Luxury locks and smoother skin
As coconut oil is full of fat, it is also a great moisturiser. Products packed with the tropical fruit help hair recover from pollution and sun-damage, turning it from brittle to beautiful. The same is true for your skin, with coconut oil providing deep moisturisation to make you silky smooth.
Posted by Matilda Jones
- Coconut Organic Oil Virgin Fresh-Pressed50% OFFAs low as £3.00 Regular Price £6.00
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you for your very informative article. I suffered COVID in December, 2020, and in February I started experience extreme hair loss and all my hair jus falls like a person who is under going Chemo therapy. It's very depressing. Had to cut off all my hair and even the little that is left is falling off daily not sure what to do. Please suggest something.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) You can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning/during the day since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. You can also mix a few drops of Carrot Oil with your favorite face cream. You can do that at least twice a week or include it in your daily skincare routine. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Can I use the carrot oil in the day time? Because I am using Vitamin c serum in the night. Please advise. Thanks
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) Carrot Oil contains Beta Carotene and Vitamin A which, by eliminating toxic build-up and repairing sun-damaged skin, helps to improve skin complexion. Antiseptic properties also assist in reducing breakouts and the formation of acne. It is also great for hydrating the skin. So mixing it with Jojoba oil may help. I would also recommend mixing Jojoba oil and Tamanu oil as both have great moisturising properties and are great for acne prone skin. Hope this helps!
- Carrot Oil for Face I have acne. I have been using jojoba oil only but I noticed my face is sometimes dry. If I add carrot oil will it help moisturize my face and clear the spots or should I join argan oil to the mix?
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyI found a supplement that is 500 mg, 120 Count. Do you recommend taking 1 capsule daily? or 2 capsules? I also take thyroid medication and an SSRI among other things.