Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Coconut oil beats the bad press
When you hear coconut, you automatically think healthy. After all, it's a fruit right?
But for years coconut oil has had a really bad press as a high-fat food we should all steer clear of. But as the experts are getting more familiar with good and bad cholesterol, it seems the tide has turned for coconut oil.
Coconut Oil: So what's different?
In the past, studies showed that coconut oil was full of saturated fat, a term that immediately rings alarm bells. Saturated fat has traditionally been said to lead to clogged arteries and heart problems. However, more recently the science buffs have said some saturated fats in a balanced diet can create HDL - a'good' cholesterol -and lowers the risk of heart disease. Good news!
Coconut oil is at its best though in its virgin form. When it is hydrogenated – like it is in snack food – it turns into a trans fat, which is a big health no-no. Trans fats are not natural to the body - or nature! - and should generally be avoided.
Give your body a boost with coconut oil
So as well as dropping the fatty reputation, coconut oil has been found to have a range of health benefits. A recent study by the Athlone Institute of Technology in Ireland found that treated coconut oil prevented the growth of one of the major causes of tooth decay – the streptococcus bacteria. As around a third of UK adults have tooth decay, it could help loads of us get a nicer smile.
Support your immune system
Although as yet unproven, coconut oil could help the body fight off infection. It contains a natural antibiotic that the body makes itself, called monolaurin, which can ward off infection. Some claim that putting a little coconut oil on cuts and bruises could even make them heal faster. But for its soothing qualities alone coconut oil could be described as a health-booster. A little coconut oil after a tough day makes you feel more restful, relieving stress.
Luxury locks and smoother skin
As coconut oil is full of fat, it is also a great moisturiser. Products packed with the tropical fruit help hair recover from pollution and sun-damage, turning it from brittle to beautiful. The same is true for your skin, with coconut oil providing deep moisturisation to make you silky smooth.
Posted by Matilda Jones
- Coconut Organic Oil Virgin Fresh-PressedAs low as £6.00 Regular Price £6.00
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHi Simie, thank you for your message. Ashwagandha is safe to be taken alongside other supplements including Vitamin E and Calcium. We would advise you check with your GP for interactions with estrogen medications for menopause as there are different variations of these medications. I hope this helps :)
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenCan I take Ashwaganda with other supplements such as vit E, calcium and also estrogen for menopause?
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hi Kianouche, Thank you for your message. I would recommend to mix pomegranate oil with Marula oil for what you are looking to treat. A few drops of antioxidant-rich Marula oil mixed with Pomegranate oil can boost efficacy and help restore your skin’s functions in perfect equilibrium. Long term use may visibly minimise pores, brighten the skin, protect it from the oxidative damage caused by pollution, tones down pigmentation and assists with scar tissue healing. Hope this helps :)
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hi I’ve bought some of your pomegranate oil, together with rosehip and marula oils. Which of the other two oils would be better to mix with pomegranate oil for mature skin with hyperpigmentation due to sun damage and sometimes prone to spots and milia when using rich moisturisers. Also, can I use pomegranate oil by itself or combined with either of the other two oils around my eyes
- Flaxseed oil: the homeopathic healerHi Genevive, Thank you for your comment. Homeopathic medicine refers to an alternative approach to medicine that uses natural substances that can be prepared to create a remedy to restore our health and feeling of vitality. Flaxseeds are a natural product that we have pressed organically to produce Flaxseed oil that we celebrate for its powerful healing qualities. I hope that helps!
- Flaxseed oil: the homeopathic healerHow, exactly, is this product homeopathic?