Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Fat or sugar? New experiment looks at the best diet
There has been a lot of talk in recent years over which substance is truly beneficial to losing weight and a healthy diet when you get rid of it. The debate over whether sugar is just as bad or worse than fat has been ongoing and in an attempt to work out which affects our health and weight more, two men took on an interesting experiment.
Identical twins Xand and Chris van Tulleken embarked on an experiment that would help to determine whether a low sugar or low fat diet is better. Chris went on a high-sugar, low-fat diet, while Xand changed his diet to the opposite. It was thought that the fact that they are identical would help to compare both diets more accurately.
The experiment was filmed for BBC 2's Horizon, which showed Chris eating a diet that contained a high amount of carbs. While he was able to eat a lot, he was still hungry, in comparison to Xand who had a high protein diet that helped him to feel fuller for longer.
This difference in appetite is down to the way that fat and sugar affect ghrelin, the hunger hormone. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats actually helped to suppress Xand's appetite, but a single gram of these fats has double the amount of calories as a gram of sugar and the calories are turned into fat more easily.
As the diets progressed, both twins felt tired and slow and didn't enjoy their meals as much. Chris also found that he became less resistant to insulin on his no-sugar diet, which could cause diabetes in the long run.
In the end, it would seem that both diets proved beneficial to weight loss, with both twins weighing in lighter at the end of the month - although Xand had the more substantial weight loss. However, despite the loss in pounds, the pair had encountered problems when it came to cutting out sugar or fat.
The experiment would suggest that getting rid of one or the other is not the best way to diet. Instead maintaining a healthy balance of both - after all you body needs small amounts of both sugar and fat to continue functioning - seems to be the best answer. Keeping track of sugar and fat intake can help you to lose weight steadily, while also maintaining energy levels and leaving you feeling fuller for longer.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you for your very informative article. I suffered COVID in December, 2020, and in February I started experience extreme hair loss and all my hair jus falls like a person who is under going Chemo therapy. It's very depressing. Had to cut off all my hair and even the little that is left is falling off daily not sure what to do. Please suggest something.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) You can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning/during the day since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. You can also mix a few drops of Carrot Oil with your favorite face cream. You can do that at least twice a week or include it in your daily skincare routine. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Can I use the carrot oil in the day time? Because I am using Vitamin c serum in the night. Please advise. Thanks
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) Carrot Oil contains Beta Carotene and Vitamin A which, by eliminating toxic build-up and repairing sun-damaged skin, helps to improve skin complexion. Antiseptic properties also assist in reducing breakouts and the formation of acne. It is also great for hydrating the skin. So mixing it with Jojoba oil may help. I would also recommend mixing Jojoba oil and Tamanu oil as both have great moisturising properties and are great for acne prone skin. Hope this helps!
- Carrot Oil for Face I have acne. I have been using jojoba oil only but I noticed my face is sometimes dry. If I add carrot oil will it help moisturize my face and clear the spots or should I join argan oil to the mix?
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyI found a supplement that is 500 mg, 120 Count. Do you recommend taking 1 capsule daily? or 2 capsules? I also take thyroid medication and an SSRI among other things.