Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Five reasons to catch up on your sleep
It's consistently drilled into us how important sleep is, with experts recommending at least six hours a night in order to feel rested and ready for the day ahead.
However, there may be more reasons than the obvious ones as to why sleep is quite so vital.
If you're feeling run down or a little under the weather, there's no cure quite like sleep.
According to Mrs Marianne Davey, director of the British Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Association, sleep is a primary time for bodily repair, giving the body an opportunity to focus on healing rather than other functions.
"During sleep certain growth hormones are released to allow the cells of the body to grow and repair." she said.
2. Brain power
Mrs Davey also explained that we are far better at making decisions and thinking clearly in the day if we have had enough sleep.
"Brain function suffers most from lack of sleep as it reduces the capacity for decision making, impairs judgement, affects memory and concentration," she explained.
In addition, lack of sleep can cause stress as the body is too tired physically to cope with mental problems.
During sleep, the cells in our body regenerate and grow. This is why sleep is so important for young people and children who are still growing - not enough sleep could lead to stunted growth.
When the body has not had enough rest, it can become stressed and therefore store more fat than energy.
If the body does not work of the excess fat, (which you are unlikely to do if you are tired), this could lead to obesity.
5. Hormone production
"If the hormone production is thrown out of kilter because of disturbed or poor sleep, this leaves a feeling of sluggishness and lethargy in the morning," Mrs Davey warns.
Posted by Freya Harper
- Wholefood CalmaidAs low as £13.00
- Carrot Oil for Face Which essential oil is best mix with carrot oil for face and body
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi Praise, Carrot oil, which is a carrier oil does have a slight ability to protect skin from the sun. However, it does not clear sunburn from your face or any of the oils you have mentioned. Coconut oil, Aloe Vera or Calendula oil might help. You can also apply essential oils that help sooth sun burn with either jojoba oil or sweet almond oil. The best essential oils for this would be lavender or peppermint. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Please, can I mix tumeric oil, carrot oil, jojoba oil and sweet almond to clear sunburn on my face
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi D, indeed there is conflicting information on whether Shatavari can be taken during pregnancy or not. Some studies showed that Shatavari can affect milk supply during lactation, and that Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) has possible teratogenicity so it should be avoided in pregnancy. Other studies showed that Shatavari is an ingredient in most herbal teas which are recommended to be taken during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I would recommend that you consult your GP or a qualified herbalist who deals with pregnant women before taking anything, in case you are already taking some supplements/ drugs or herbs to help with your pregnancy.
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi, there's conflicting information whether this can still be taking during pregnancy. What do you suggest as I use your brand and trying to conceive?
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Dear Fatima, thank you for your message. For your type of skin Almond oil is ok -- its comedogenic level is 2 out of 5, it means it's not going to clog your pores. If you are looking for something even lower on that scale, you should go for Argan, Rosehip, Grapeseed, Hemp -oil which are 0-1. I hope this helps.