Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Five reasons to have your five a day
Everyone knows that they should be getting their daily dose of fruit and veg, but how many of us actually know why? Here's your run-down about why its good to get fruity.
Because fruit is packed full of vitamins and antioxidants, it makes our bodies really good at fighting illnesses. As well as equipping our insides to fight common illnesses like a cold, some experts believe that fruit helps protect us from more serious threats.
"We have known for some time that a healthy diet is important in reducing the risk of coronary heart disease and other circulatory problems," says Linda Main, dietetic advisor for HEART UK - The Cholesterol Charity. Munching an apple is a pretty sweet alternative to being ill, we reckon.
2) Skin glow
Eating your recommended dosage of fruit can do wonders for your skin, hair and nails.
Having five-a-day is a small price to pay for looking beautiful we think, so be sure to whack a 'nana in your bag and watch the compliments flood in.
3) Keeping trim
All fruits are jam-packed with fibre - the substance that keeps us feeling fuller for longer. And if we're full of fruit then we're less likely to snack on things that can make us put on weight!
Fruits don't contain 'bad' fats, so we can have as much as we want without worrying about piling on the pounds. But even when you do hit the gym, certain fruits - like bananas - give us loads of energy, so you can just keep going and going.
Your parents may have told you when you were small that eating carrots can help you see in the dark. Well, that might not be strictly true, but there is some scientific basis to their theory!
Vitamins A, C and E, which can be found in fruits like oranges and lemons, can help us see better in dim light. If we don't have these vitamins in our body, you could be more likely to stub your toe on the doorframe on your way to the loo during the night. Never good.
5) Staying alert.
Fruit is the perfect snack, because it helps us to stay awake and on the ball much longer. Other less healthy snacks may give you an energy boost, but you'll only crash an hour or so later.
Try a mango for day-long oomph when you need to really work those brain cells.
Posted by Freya Harper
- Coconut Organic Oil Virgin Fresh-PressedAs low as £6.00 Regular Price £6.00
- Carrot Oil for Face Which essential oil is best mix with carrot oil for face and body
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi Praise, Carrot oil, which is a carrier oil does have a slight ability to protect skin from the sun. However, it does not clear sunburn from your face or any of the oils you have mentioned. Coconut oil, Aloe Vera or Calendula oil might help. You can also apply essential oils that help sooth sun burn with either jojoba oil or sweet almond oil. The best essential oils for this would be lavender or peppermint. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Please, can I mix tumeric oil, carrot oil, jojoba oil and sweet almond to clear sunburn on my face
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi D, indeed there is conflicting information on whether Shatavari can be taken during pregnancy or not. Some studies showed that Shatavari can affect milk supply during lactation, and that Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) has possible teratogenicity so it should be avoided in pregnancy. Other studies showed that Shatavari is an ingredient in most herbal teas which are recommended to be taken during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I would recommend that you consult your GP or a qualified herbalist who deals with pregnant women before taking anything, in case you are already taking some supplements/ drugs or herbs to help with your pregnancy.
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi, there's conflicting information whether this can still be taking during pregnancy. What do you suggest as I use your brand and trying to conceive?
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Dear Fatima, thank you for your message. For your type of skin Almond oil is ok -- its comedogenic level is 2 out of 5, it means it's not going to clog your pores. If you are looking for something even lower on that scale, you should go for Argan, Rosehip, Grapeseed, Hemp -oil which are 0-1. I hope this helps.