Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Getting green when you’re smoothie-making
Fruits and veg of a whole range of colours, from bright yellow bananas to indigo blueberries, could have a place in the list of ingredients for a sensational smoothie.
And each ingredient brings something a little different to the mix, in terms of both its flavour, its colour and the exact range of nutrients it contains.
Some great goodness can also be added to a smoothie when you throw in a veg that you might not associate with a sweet treat - but which provides some brilliant nutrients for your body to savour.
Here are three examples of greens that can be added to smoothies. Why not try one of these as a smoothie ingredient the next time you're whizzing up a vitamin-rich treat in the smoothie maker?
Fresh spinach leaves can make a great addition to a smoothie, and though they don't exactly taste sweet, they have a fresh, very healthy-tasting flavour which could give your beverage a great feeling of being extra-good for you!
Popeye's fave food, spinach contains vitamin C and magnesium, as well as iron, three great nutrients. One thing that can make it brilliant for smoothies is just how simple it is to throw into your smoothie maker: there's no chopping or peeling for these nutrient-rich leaves. A simple rinse will do, then add them to the mix!
Also nice and easy to add to a smoothie, celery can be kept in the fridge until you need it, then rinsed, chopped and smoothed out in your smoothie maker.
There's vitamin C in these fresh-tasting sticks and they will add water to your smoothie, while also bringing a host of minerals. Think potassium, manganese and calcium, for example.
Because of its subtle flavour, celery is a good way to add another item to a smoothie mix which won't overpower the taste of other ingredients.
As a good alternative to spinach in a smoothie for those who want a stronger taste, watercress provides even more vitamin C to the mix than its fellow leafy veg.
Again, you won't need much prep for this great ingredient once you have it to hand. After a little rinse, it can be added to your smoothie maker and will quickly break down into the juicy goodness inside.
You can get vitamin A from this exciting green kitchen ingredient (which is also good for making things like salads), as well as Vitamin B6 and iron.
Sometimes called a 'superfood' it can certainly be a super smoothie ingredient!
As with anything in life, it's advised not to overindulge when it comes to any one smoothie ingredient.
- Carrot Oil for Face Thank you for your message. Cold pressed carrot oil protects and preserves the nutrients of the carrots. Since the cold press presses the produce to extract the oil, no heat is involved. ... You get 100% of the vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and nutrients when you apply cold pressed oil on your face. Frying grated carrots which involves heat and oil will remove some of those nutrients. Hope this helps.
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyVery well written article indeed. Thank you for elaborating on so many levels and aspects of it.
- Carrot Oil for Face hello there, must i used only cold-pressed carrot oil on my face? Does frying the grated carrots in coconut oil still maintain the nutrients necessary for the face?
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Dear Rose, Thank you for your message. You can mix equal amounts of Pomegranate seed oil and Rosehip oil.You can add 3-4 drops from each, mix and apply on your face. Hope this helps.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hello Fushi, could you Kindly advise exactly how many drops of oil should I use to mix to mix pomegranate and rosehip oil?
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Hello Asma, Thank you for your message. Being a carrier oil, Pomegranate oil is safe to apply on the skin without dilution. However, because of its richness it is often used at dilutions of approximately 5-15% in skincare formulations. Combining Rosehip oil and pomegranate oil will give you a deeply nourishing blend of particularly antioxidant- and vitamin rich oils. It may also support scars, wrinkles and premature ageing. Hope this helps.