Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Getting rid of head lice the natural way
If you have children or work around them, you know that the warmer weather can bring with it a few problems, one of which is head lice. No matter what you do to avoid them, head lice can affect a large number of children each year.
All it takes is for one child in a class to have head lice and soon enough every child will be infected. But how do you deal with them without going to extreme measures?
Pesticide-based head lice treatments are designed to be toxic to the lice but they are also toxic for people, especially your children. They are incredibly strong, meaning they aren't the best thing for using on a child's sensitive skin. There is also evidence that head lice are starting to develop resistance to these treatments, meaning they don't always work as well as you'd expect.
Rather than going down the route of strong pesticides, natural and non-toxic head lice remedies can make it easier to get rid of the pests. Teaming these treatments with regular combing when your child presents with head lice - and continuing to use a nit comb even it when it appears that they are all gone - can help to keep your child head lice free.
Natural and non-toxic methods work by slowing down the lice, which makes them easier to get rid of using a fine-toothed comb. Oils can also help to make it easier to loosen the eggs so they can be removed, which will help to get rid of any future infestations. Certain essential oils can also be used to kill and deter head lice and can be used alongside carrier oils.
One great option for a natural nit treatment is to mix together 20 drops of lavender essential oil, 20 drops of tea tree oil, four ounces of olive oil and ten drops of rosemary essential oil. You can double this mixture if your child has particularly long or thick hair.
Once the oils are mixed thoroughly, cover the hair in it, taking care to massage it in thoroughly. Wrap the hair in a shower cap or turban and leave to soak overnight, or four eight to 12 hours. Come through the hair to get rid of any tangles and then more thoroughly to remove the lice and eggs. You should find that the grown lice have been suffocated by the olive oil, while the eggs have been loosened - but not killed - making it easier to remove them.
Ideally this treatment should be used every four days for a fortnight in order to get rid of all the head lice completely.
You can also try adding tea tree oil to a normal conditioner, as the oil kills the lice and helps to stop them from returning. This is a better option if you are short on time as you simply mix the oil and conditioner together, cover dry hair and comb through thoroughly. Wash the hair thoroughly and once again repeat every four days. You can also add tea tree oil to shampoo and conditioner once all the head lice have gone to try and stop them from returning.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you Emiliano for your comment. In this blog we are referring more to oils, more so than butters and while we agree with you Shea is an excellent emollient for hair, it's consistency is more buttery and it is used more as a leave-in remedy to smooth hair texture. We have suggested Coconut oil as it helps slow down hair loss by penetrating deep into your hair shaft to prevent protein loss, which in turn prevents breakage. When applied to your scalp, it simultaneously moisturises and removes build-up around your hair follicles to encourage hair growth and is one of base oils always used in Ayurveda for hair treatments. As this post is more focused for hair and not for skin, the comedogenic scale applies to skin/pores and not hair follicles. Thank you again for your feedback.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Hello Zu, yes hair loss can be very stressful and this in turn amplifies the cause almost.. Perhaps with Covid, your system may have been depleted of nutrients and fighting the virus can take its toll on your immune system, so sometimes our hair and skin suffer when we have been ill. We really believe in oils for scalp massage as the best way to revive the growth and help regenerate the follicles. It may be also worth at looking at internal supplements and making sure you are getting enough of omega oils, perhaps plant based such as nuts and seeds in your diet. For external oil treatment, would recommend the Really Good Hair oil which we create with Brahmi, this herb is known to help bring the scalp back to health and improve growth. Biotin is also a good vitamin to take as a supplement to help with hair growth so do look into that. So hope these tips will be helpful for you.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?I, am very surprised that your article did not include Organic Shea Butter and that coconut oil, is your number one choice for hair growth and thickness. According to the comedogenic scale, coconut oil, has a rating of (4), on a scale from (0), to (5), on clogging your pores. Why would anyone put coconut oil, on their hair or skin knowing the pores will get clogged up. Shea Butter, on the other hand has a (0), rating on the comedogenic scale, which is great for dry hair and skin and won't clog up your pores.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you for your very informative article. I suffered COVID in December, 2020, and in February I started experience extreme hair loss and all my hair jus falls like a person who is under going Chemo therapy. It's very depressing. Had to cut off all my hair and even the little that is left is falling off daily not sure what to do. Please suggest something.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) You can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning/during the day since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. You can also mix a few drops of Carrot Oil with your favorite face cream. You can do that at least twice a week or include it in your daily skincare routine. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Can I use the carrot oil in the day time? Because I am using Vitamin c serum in the night. Please advise. Thanks