Cookies on fushi.co.uk
The A to Z of Organic Argan Oil
Mary-Claire Akinyemi, Health & beauty writer
The A to Z of Organic Argan Oil
Produced from the kernels of the Argan tree, which only grows in Southwest Morocco, Argan oil has gained well-deserved notoriety, not to mention a cult following- from Eva Mendes to Marion Cotillard. Dating back 3500 years, Argan oil is revered for its cosmetic and nutritive properties, it’s no wonder that this legendary oil is still referred to as liquid gold.
A natural multi-tasker, Argan Oil can function as a daily moisturizer, deep conditioner, cuticle softener and even a clarifying treatment. Gentle enough to suit all skin types, it can also help alleviate skin conditions such as psoriasis and acne. With astonishing healing, conditioning, and anti-aging properties, Organic Argan oil can keep you nourished and revitalized inside and out.
Acting as an Antioxidant- With its incredible antioxidant properties, 100% pure Argan oil is thought to promote and bring water back to the lipid layers of the skin, which is why daily use of Argan oil can dramatically improve the texture and overall appearance of one’s skin. Rich in vitamin E Argan oil also has the unique ability to naturally decrease skin inflammation caused by breakouts. When applied in small amounts, affected the skin will become noticeably healthier and radiant.
Conditioning - Argan oil instantly seeps into hair fibres for an essential nutrient boost and to provide long-lasting protection. It can be applied directly on to the hair, either before or after shampooing, to treat all from dry flaky scalp to split ends. If you’re suffering from dry or lacklustre hair (as a result of a persistently wet winter or chemical processing) a few drops of Argan oil can act as a simple nourishing conditioner or natural hair sheen. Pour a small amount into the palms of your hand, to gently heat it, and run your fingers through your hair to create shine and tame frizz. And for a deeply conditioning overnight treatment, massage a small amount of organic Argan oil into the scalp and cover with a silk scarf. In the morning, wash it off with a mild, clarifying shampoo for smooth silky soft hair.
Digestive - If you regularly suffer from indigestion, Argan oil may be the key to reducing discomfort and other symptoms. Although commonly sold separately, for cosmetic or culinary purposes, our organic Argan oil is safe enough to be ingested internally, as a dietary supplement. As little as one tablespoon taken regularly can reduce inflammation, helping to heal you from the inside out.
Exfoliating- Whether it’s a DIY face or a remedying lip mask, Argan oil can be mixed with all from raw honey to molasses sugar to exfoliate tired skin. For an exfoliating face mask, mix 1 tablespoon of Argan oil with 2 tablespoons of molasses sugar, 1 tablespoon of Greek yogurt and one teaspoon of lemon juice. Generously apply the mixture over your face and wash off after a few minutes.
Healing- Because of its anti-inflammatory properties when applied regularly, Argan oil can help to diminish tissue scars, stretch marks and blemishes, effectively acting as a disinfectant in the latter. It is also rich in plant sterols, which are found in no other vegetable oil and help to reduce the inflammation in the body as well as inhibit the absorption of cholesterol by the intestine. Argan oil is also known to alleviate symptoms of arthritis such as inflammation and joint pain.
Nourishing- For part of the face or entire body, a few drops of Argan oil applied directly to the skin can produce a dewy, luminous glow to the skin. When mixed with organic toners, Argan oil can additionally revive and rejuvenate the skin. Simply add two drops of organic Argan oil to rose, lavender or orange blossom water, shake generously and spritz the mixture on the entire face in the morning on whenever the skin feels dehydrated.
Vitamins- Its high content of Vitamin E- a little over 70mg per 100g- makes organic Argan oil a popular ingredient for a range of cosmetics. Vitamin E is effective for protecting the skin against UV damage as well as combating and preventing inflammation. Pure Argan oil is also high in fatty acids(around 43% of Omega 9 or oleic acid and 36% of linoleic acid) proven to regenerate the skin, diminish expression lines and improve the overall appearance of scars.
Zero additives- Naturally free from parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances and dyes, organic Argan oil can prove certainly prove to be an excellent addition to your skincare regimen that can last for many months.
Berber women preparing kernels to make organic Argan oil
Only the finest Argan
Thanks to its ever growing popularity, many cosmetic products will try to entice customers with ‘Argan’ or ‘Moroccan Oil’ in their titles. In reality there could be as little as a trace or even a refined version of this unique oil. We frequently urge our customers to read the ingredients on these products, before committing to buy. Wherever Argan oil is not listed as the first, or only ingredient in a product, it has most likely been diluted with preservatives, synthetic fragrances and even cheaper oils. So to get the most benefit from Argan oil, we recommend you buy only pure cold pressed Argan oil from reliable certified organic sources.
How to make sure it is good quality Argan oil
As an ethically certified brand, we take care to source only the purest, highest grade products from reliable sources. Our, cold-pressed certified organic Argan oil has been obtained from premium Argan kernels. Picked by hand, the fresh raw kernels are cold pressed to produce light golden coloured oil.
Fushi Argan oil has a slight sweet nutty aroma which implies a good quality Argan oil as opposed to the pungent smell often found present in lower grade Argan oils. For cosmetic use the oils should be cold pressed and never roasted. Roasted Argan oil will bear a very different smell which is much nuttier. While this may be perfect for culinary purposes, for skin and hair use the cosmetic cold pressed version is much better.
Cold-pressing is the process of obtaining oils through pressing and grinding of seeds, or in this case kernels, under low temperatures (under 49°C ) so as to retain the nutrients and vitamin content of oils. Instead of being put through a machine, raw Argan kernels are hand-extracted from the hard shell, a technique that has been used for centuries, hand-ground and kneaded for hours and finally cold-pressed into the oil. This process can take one person up to three days to complete, which explains its rarity and value. To recognise a premium unrefined Argan oil from a mixture, as with all of our carrier oils, we advise you check its consistency is thick, its colour is a pale golden-yellow colour and that it has a faint nutty smell.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you for your very informative article. I suffered COVID in December, 2020, and in February I started experience extreme hair loss and all my hair jus falls like a person who is under going Chemo therapy. It's very depressing. Had to cut off all my hair and even the little that is left is falling off daily not sure what to do. Please suggest something.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) You can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning/during the day since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. You can also mix a few drops of Carrot Oil with your favorite face cream. You can do that at least twice a week or include it in your daily skincare routine. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Can I use the carrot oil in the day time? Because I am using Vitamin c serum in the night. Please advise. Thanks
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) Carrot Oil contains Beta Carotene and Vitamin A which, by eliminating toxic build-up and repairing sun-damaged skin, helps to improve skin complexion. Antiseptic properties also assist in reducing breakouts and the formation of acne. It is also great for hydrating the skin. So mixing it with Jojoba oil may help. I would also recommend mixing Jojoba oil and Tamanu oil as both have great moisturising properties and are great for acne prone skin. Hope this helps!
- Carrot Oil for Face I have acne. I have been using jojoba oil only but I noticed my face is sometimes dry. If I add carrot oil will it help moisturize my face and clear the spots or should I join argan oil to the mix?
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyI found a supplement that is 500 mg, 120 Count. Do you recommend taking 1 capsule daily? or 2 capsules? I also take thyroid medication and an SSRI among other things.