Cookies on fushi.co.uk
How to enjoy being social without ruining your healthy diet
Trying to maintain a healthy diet at this time of year can be incredibly difficult. If it isn't the festive fare on offer or the cold weather making you crave comfort food, it is the extra social events that often mean your willpower is heavily tested.
You might be tempted to turn down invitations for parties or meals out so you don't end up eating things that aren't on your healthy food plan, but there really isn't any need. It is possible to go out and enjoy a good time with friends and family without having to partake in all the vittles.
Alcohol includes more calories than you might think and, while the odd glass of wine is OK, overdoing it can have a large impact on your diet. As alcohol is formed from sugar, a single drink can be equivalent to foods such as chocolate and biscuits.
While cutting down on how much you drink will help to avoid your calorie intake, the type of drinks you consume can also be damaging to your attempts at a healthy lifestyle. Drinks that contain cream or alcopops have a much higher number of calories than white wine.
Try having just one alcoholic drink during your social gathering and sticking to water - not sugary fizzy drinks - for the rest of it. You will still have a good time, but you won't feel guilty and you'll escape the-morning-after headache.
Read the menu
If you're having a meal out you might think that a certain item on the menu looks particularly good, however if you don't read the full description of what you are ordering you could be in for a nasty shock. Not reading a menu properly can mean that you select a meal that has been cooked in an unhealthy way or comes with sides that aren't great for you.
Looking at the small print can ensure that you choose a delicious meal that fits with your healthy lifestyle. If you really want to try something that contains elements you would rather avoid, try asking your server if they can be substituted. Most restaurants are really accommodating and want to make you happy, so, while you might not want to be any trouble, it is always worth asking.
Choose the fish
Most of the time - unless they are cooked in butter or covered in cream - the fish dishes on the menu will be slightly healthier options. Most fish dishes come with a good selection of vegetables, meaning you are sure to get a good sized meal that isn't too unhealthy.
Opting to have fish also means you aren't stuck with salads when all you want is a warm meal. It could also stop your friends and family from commenting on what choice you have made.
Stay clear of desert
The pudding selection on an evening out is bound to be the most tempting thing on the menu, but it also the most naughty thing you can choose to eat on a night out. Unless you are going to choose a fruit salad, steer clear of sweet treats.
You are still able to have a good time eating out while being social without impacting your healthy diet. All you need to do is be aware of the choices you are making. This doesn't mean you have to announce to everyone why you are not indulging, but you should ensure you make choices that won't make you feel guilty the next day.
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Dear Fatima, thank you for your message. For your type of skin Almond oil is ok -- its comedogenic level is 2 out of 5, it means it's not going to clog your pores. If you are looking for something even lower on that scale, you should go for Argan, Rosehip, Grapeseed, Hemp -oil which are 0-1. I hope this helps.
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Hi, would it be advisable to use almond oil on acne prone skin. I have a little bit of acne but have lots of dark spots left by acne.
- Ashwagandha benefits for menThanks for this great article. I have begun to take Ashwagandha, and my husband asked if it might be good for him too. Looks like it is, so thank you for the info.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hi Lin, Fushi's pomegranate seed oil is a non-standardised, unrefined and natural oil. Each batch varies and displays a set of unique characteristics. This is simply down to our oils never being refined, deodorized or filtered.However, you will still be getting the same great quality and benefits from the oil.
- Carrot Oil for Face In the process of making In the process of making my carrot Oil today on low heat, the carrot turned brown unlike other days when I do it myself. Hope the oil will still work on my face and skin.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil my pomegranate seed oil is light golden color(not paler) could it be a good quality?