Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Keep your lips protected from the ravages of winter
Even if you don't suffer from dry skin, you may find that your lips become chapped and dry over the colder winter months. Just as your hair and the rest of your skin can suffer so too can your lips. This can leave your lips sore and make you feel self-conscious about how you look.
While you will probably bundle up over the next few months, especially when venturing outside, it is very rare that you provide any protection for your lips. Cold temperatures, wind, dry air - caused by central heating - and the general rigours of winter can steal moisture from your lips.
Unlike the rest of your skin, your lips have only very thin layers of surface skin, which means they are more likely to become affected by external and internal changes. While the rest of your face might remain dry - although it can also be affected by the cold - your lips are highly likely to suffer.
You actually lose around ten-times more moisture from your lips than from skin on any other area of your body, meaning it is really important to ensure they get all the help and protection they can. As well as drinking lots of water, which is beneficial for all your skin as well as your system as a whole, there are ways that you can improve the feel and appearance of chapped lips.
If your lips are feeling dry or chapped, avoid licking them. Although putting saliva on your lips will help momentarily, it can actually make the problem worse. Saliva will evaporate from the surface of your lips, which can result in more moisture being lost.
Biting your lips to get rid of loose skin can damage them even more, reduce their ability to heal and result in your lips getting sore. Instead, mix some granulated sugar with a small amount of lip balm and gently scrub in a circular motion over your lips. This will get rid of the loose skin, moisturise the lips and allow the skin to heal better.
Carry lip balm with you everywhere as you never know when you might need it. It is best to apply it before going outside, before bed and whenever your lips start to feel incredibly dry. Natural oils are best to use as they compliment the skin's natural oils and won't result in your lips getting dry again when you stop using them.
- Carrot Oil for Face Which essential oil is best mix with carrot oil for face and body
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi Praise, Carrot oil, which is a carrier oil does have a slight ability to protect skin from the sun. However, it does not clear sunburn from your face or any of the oils you have mentioned. Coconut oil, Aloe Vera or Calendula oil might help. You can also apply essential oils that help sooth sun burn with either jojoba oil or sweet almond oil. The best essential oils for this would be lavender or peppermint. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Please, can I mix tumeric oil, carrot oil, jojoba oil and sweet almond to clear sunburn on my face
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi D, indeed there is conflicting information on whether Shatavari can be taken during pregnancy or not. Some studies showed that Shatavari can affect milk supply during lactation, and that Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) has possible teratogenicity so it should be avoided in pregnancy. Other studies showed that Shatavari is an ingredient in most herbal teas which are recommended to be taken during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I would recommend that you consult your GP or a qualified herbalist who deals with pregnant women before taking anything, in case you are already taking some supplements/ drugs or herbs to help with your pregnancy.
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi, there's conflicting information whether this can still be taking during pregnancy. What do you suggest as I use your brand and trying to conceive?
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Dear Fatima, thank you for your message. For your type of skin Almond oil is ok -- its comedogenic level is 2 out of 5, it means it's not going to clog your pores. If you are looking for something even lower on that scale, you should go for Argan, Rosehip, Grapeseed, Hemp -oil which are 0-1. I hope this helps.