Cookies on fushi.co.uk
REBOOT, REPLENSISH AND REVITALISE FOR THE NEW YEAR!
“The physician who knows how to harmonize the liver knows how to treat the hundred diseases.” – Ancient Chinese Medicine.
By Jade Ellis
WHY IS THE LIVER SO IMPORTANT?
Your liver is one of the largest and hardest working organs in the body – soimportant for a healthy functioning body! Without the liver, it is impossible to have a properly working metabolism, healthy circulation, balanced hormones, clean blood and strong digestion.
Liver health is of high importance in Ayurvedic and Naturopathic medicine. In the view of natural medicine, we need to create a warming and nourishing environment in the body that helps the liver, so it can work at its best level.
There are several issues which can compromise liver function; however, there are certain ways we can try to help the liver. A great, natural way to support the liver is through a number of different herbs which can act to support the functions of this incredibly significant organ!
WHAT HERBS CAN HELP THE FUNCTIONING OF MY LIVER?
Milk Thistle is known by many names such as St Marys Thistle, blessed Milk Thistle, which all have clear connotations of healing power.
Milk Thistle is native to Europe, the Middle East, North Africa and parts of the Mediterranean. However, it can also be found around the world. The herb is now grown in sunnier climates worldwide and can be found further north too. Many gardeners consider it a weed due to the speed with which it grows. Milk thistle can actually grow to be ten feet high!
The first written evidence of the use of Milk Thistle, dates back to 40CE when the herb was written about for its ability to treat children and snake bites. Europeans were among the first to use Milk Thistle seeds as an herbal treatment for liver disorders.Milk Thistle has been used medicinally all around the world! Many of civilization’s earliest botanists and pharmacists in ancient Greece and Rome used Milk Thistle to aid in bile-related problems, which is produced by the liver.
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, it is known as ‘shuifeiji’ and is said to clear heat and remove toxicity from the body. This herb really is one of a kind!
WHAT CAN MILK THISTLE BE USED FOR?
This cleansing herb has been known to help with the detoxification of the liver, to help regenerate damaged liver tissue, stimulate bile production and improve digestion.
Milk Thistle has antioxidant properties that can help detoxify the liver and help it stay healthy! It has been tested extensively for its ability to treat a range of liver conditions – and it is recommended by herbalists to complement a healthy cleanse of the liver.
MILK THISTLE’S ACTIVE INGREDIENT – WHAT IS SILYMARIN?
The purple flowers of Milk Thistle can each contain up to 190 seeds, which have the most medicinal benefit as they contain Silymarin, the effective ingredient in Milk Thistle extract.
Silymarin, a unique flavonoid complex derived from the Milk Thistle plant, Carduus Marianus.
This compound is both anti-inflammatory and powerful antioxidant. Silymarin is a very important of Milk Thistle, which is why we have created a Milk Thistle supplement which is high strength – with 80% Silymarin! This makes for a very high absorption rate which will help the compounds known factors, to boost the immune system, and help counteract damage within the body.
Milk Thistle Extract High Strength, also contains Globe Artichoke which is a powerful liver and digestive tonic. This herb is one of the key hepatoprotective remedies. The ingredients used in Fushi’s Milk Thistle Extract are liver and gall bladder tonics, a good choice for a gentle detox. This extract may also help with overindulgence and may assist with weight management goals, due to the bitter qualities of the ingredients. This blend may also help with energy levels as the liver is cleansed, therefore resulting in an improved mood!
MORE INCREDIBLE CLEANSING HERBS!
Turmeric is well-known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties for the body. Due to this Turmeric can be used to support the liver and is known for its protective qualities. In Ayurveda this is a very well-known benefit of Turmeric. Turmeric is known to be able to help remove toxins, support the liver in the production of bile, and help to remove excess cholesterol.
Curcumin, one of the active ingredients in Turmeric, is believed to be able to communicate with liver cells to product more LDL receptors. LDL is the ‘bad’ cholesterol that you want removed from the body! Due to increase in receptors, more cholesterol can be cleared. Studies have shown that LDL receptors can increase when liver cells are treated with Turmeric - what an amazing herb!
Fushi’s Turmeric C3 & Bioperine Extract (500mg high strength) is a curcumin complex with black pepper, which has been used to improve the absorption and utilisation of this powerful compound.
Dandelion Root has been known to benefit in detoxifying the liver and promoting bile production. In the folk medicine of many countries, Dandelion is used as a liver tonic to stimulate a sluggish or congested liver. This herb has been known to help clean the liver and gallbladder, and it is also believed to be important for removal of toxins. Due to this, the plant may also act to boost the production of natural, healthy bacteria of the gastrointestinal tract.
Dandelion Root Organic Tincture, 100ml, £8.00
YELLOW DOCK ROOT
Yellow Dock Root is traditionally thought of as a blood purifier and general detoxifier, especially for the liver. This herb has been known to help to support detoxification through stimulating bile production. This helps with digestion, particularly of fats. Yellow Dock Root may help to stimulate the digestive system, and assist in the removal of waste which can help in the prevention of toxins!
Milk Thistle Extract High Strength, 60 caps, £14.00
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you Emiliano for your comment. In this blog we are referring more to oils, more so than butters and while we agree with you Shea is an excellent emollient for hair, it's consistency is more buttery and it is used more as a leave-in remedy to smooth hair texture. We have suggested Coconut oil as it helps slow down hair loss by penetrating deep into your hair shaft to prevent protein loss, which in turn prevents breakage. When applied to your scalp, it simultaneously moisturises and removes build-up around your hair follicles to encourage hair growth and is one of base oils always used in Ayurveda for hair treatments. As this post is more focused for hair and not for skin, the comedogenic scale applies to skin/pores and not hair follicles. Thank you again for your feedback.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Hello Zu, yes hair loss can be very stressful and this in turn amplifies the cause almost.. Perhaps with Covid, your system may have been depleted of nutrients and fighting the virus can take its toll on your immune system, so sometimes our hair and skin suffer when we have been ill. We really believe in oils for scalp massage as the best way to revive the growth and help regenerate the follicles. It may be also worth at looking at internal supplements and making sure you are getting enough of omega oils, perhaps plant based such as nuts and seeds in your diet. For external oil treatment, would recommend the Really Good Hair oil which we create with Brahmi, this herb is known to help bring the scalp back to health and improve growth. Biotin is also a good vitamin to take as a supplement to help with hair growth so do look into that. So hope these tips will be helpful for you.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?I, am very surprised that your article did not include Organic Shea Butter and that coconut oil, is your number one choice for hair growth and thickness. According to the comedogenic scale, coconut oil, has a rating of (4), on a scale from (0), to (5), on clogging your pores. Why would anyone put coconut oil, on their hair or skin knowing the pores will get clogged up. Shea Butter, on the other hand has a (0), rating on the comedogenic scale, which is great for dry hair and skin and won't clog up your pores.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you for your very informative article. I suffered COVID in December, 2020, and in February I started experience extreme hair loss and all my hair jus falls like a person who is under going Chemo therapy. It's very depressing. Had to cut off all my hair and even the little that is left is falling off daily not sure what to do. Please suggest something.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) You can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning/during the day since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. You can also mix a few drops of Carrot Oil with your favorite face cream. You can do that at least twice a week or include it in your daily skincare routine. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Can I use the carrot oil in the day time? Because I am using Vitamin c serum in the night. Please advise. Thanks