Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Lose Weight Without losing out
If a few pounds have piled on but a summer full of lettuce leaves and rice cakes isn?t for you ? we are here to help! The goods news is that there is no need for your favourite foods to become fond memories, in fact many nutrition experts now believe that successful and sustainable weight loss can be a achieved through merely understanding and sticking to sensible portions sizes.
It’s true. Many of us often eat more than we need to, and this can be as big an obstacle to weight control as what we eat. You may have noticed that when eating out, the plates are over-filled with food and then there is usually an added side dish holding more chips, vegetables or sauces than you really need or than you could possibly eat??although if its there we will generally give it a go! Unfortunately we seem to have taken this habit for supersizing into our own kitchens and seem to have lost sight of how much is enough. This is a habit that needs to change if you are serious about your weight loss.
It’s easy to control portions without resorting to weighing and measuring with just a few simple steps:
? The simplest way to reduce the amount of food on your plate is to use a smaller plate in the first place. This will not only make your plate look fuller, but will automatically reduce the amount you put onto it.
? Start each meal with a salad, or eat some of your vegetables before your meat/potato portion to help fill you up with low calorie foods first
? Once you have finished your serving of food wait at least ten minutes before considering a refill. This will give your stomach time to tell your brain whether it is full or not. A healthy sense of satiety should be a feeling of satisfaction ? if you feel bloated or uncomfortable you have eaten more than you need
? You can also get used to cooking less food in the first place. If you are just cooking for yourself, and you know that you often cook more than you need, then automatically reduce everything by one third. This will not only help you save money but will help you to control your eating
? Drinking a small glass of water before a meal can also help to fill you up and reduce the need for additional food.
? When you’re eating out, choose smaller dishes, or eat from the starter menu. If you’re out with a friend, get something to share and order a salad or vegetables on the side. Alternatively, order a normal meal, but only eat what you need to and don?t be afraid to leave the rest.
Ultimately, getting a healthy diet is about getting the right foods in the right amounts. Here are a few tips to bear in mind when you are next dishing-up..
? The meat or other protein-based part of your meal should be around the size of a deck of cards.
? The starchy part of your meal, for example: the rice, potatoes, bread or grains should be around the size of one tennis ball or your balled fist.
? If possible, fruits and vegetables should fill around half of your plate.
? Fats and oils should be kept to a minimum, for example: less than one tablespoon. Always measure them out on a tablespoon as it is easy to over pour straight from the bottle.
Take one meal using different ratios of each food
Chicken breast (size of a pack of cards)
Chicken breast (large)
2 boiled potatoes
3 boiled potatoes
« cup of broccoli
¬ cup of broccoli
« cup of cabbage
¬ cup of cabbage
« cup of carrots
¬ cup of carrots
¬ cup of gravy
¬ cup of gravy
125ml glass of white wine
175ml glass of white wine
2 squares of chocolate
1 bar of chocolate
Foods to Indulge in
Weight loss should not just be about limiting intake, it can be about adding certain weight loss enhancing foods into your diet. Here are a few tips to try:
? Snack attack ? eating smaller amounts regularly can reduce sweet cravings and blood sugar slumps, one of the causes of weight gain
? Be creative ? add a variety of colourful fruit and vegetables to all your meals such as fruit on your breakfast cereal, or salad to sandwiches
? Binge on metabolism boosters ? chillies, lemons and green tea have all been found to boost metabolism so try a glass of lemon juice and warm water to start the day
? Lecithin is more ? try sprinkling a tbsp of lecithin granules on your breakfast or over salads. Lecithin contains a type of lipid called phospholipids which help carry excess cholesterol and saturated fats to the liver for removal from the body
? Ensure you get your micronutrients ? certain nutrients such as magnesium, B vitamins and chromium help you digest and absorb your food properly making sure carbohydrate and fat are utilised instead of stored. So include dark green leafy vegetables, beans, tomatoes, onions, seeds, nuts
? Protein ? have some protein with every snack and meal as this will help you feel fuller for longer
If you want to eat more?.you need to exercise more. Exercise increases your metabolism and burning off excess fat. When is the best time to exercise? Our metabolism slows down about 8 hours after we wake up, so 30 minutes of exercise in the evening, before dinner will increase your metabolism for about two to three more hours just when it was starting to slow down. This produces a significant increase in fat burned off, even after the exercise is over.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you Emiliano for your comment. In this blog we are referring more to oils, more so than butters and while we agree with you Shea is an excellent emollient for hair, it's consistency is more buttery and it is used more as a leave-in remedy to smooth hair texture. We have suggested Coconut oil as it helps slow down hair loss by penetrating deep into your hair shaft to prevent protein loss, which in turn prevents breakage. When applied to your scalp, it simultaneously moisturises and removes build-up around your hair follicles to encourage hair growth and is one of base oils always used in Ayurveda for hair treatments. As this post is more focused for hair and not for skin, the comedogenic scale applies to skin/pores and not hair follicles. Thank you again for your feedback.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Hello Zu, yes hair loss can be very stressful and this in turn amplifies the cause almost.. Perhaps with Covid, your system may have been depleted of nutrients and fighting the virus can take its toll on your immune system, so sometimes our hair and skin suffer when we have been ill. We really believe in oils for scalp massage as the best way to revive the growth and help regenerate the follicles. It may be also worth at looking at internal supplements and making sure you are getting enough of omega oils, perhaps plant based such as nuts and seeds in your diet. For external oil treatment, would recommend the Really Good Hair oil which we create with Brahmi, this herb is known to help bring the scalp back to health and improve growth. Biotin is also a good vitamin to take as a supplement to help with hair growth so do look into that. So hope these tips will be helpful for you.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?I, am very surprised that your article did not include Organic Shea Butter and that coconut oil, is your number one choice for hair growth and thickness. According to the comedogenic scale, coconut oil, has a rating of (4), on a scale from (0), to (5), on clogging your pores. Why would anyone put coconut oil, on their hair or skin knowing the pores will get clogged up. Shea Butter, on the other hand has a (0), rating on the comedogenic scale, which is great for dry hair and skin and won't clog up your pores.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you for your very informative article. I suffered COVID in December, 2020, and in February I started experience extreme hair loss and all my hair jus falls like a person who is under going Chemo therapy. It's very depressing. Had to cut off all my hair and even the little that is left is falling off daily not sure what to do. Please suggest something.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) You can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning/during the day since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. You can also mix a few drops of Carrot Oil with your favorite face cream. You can do that at least twice a week or include it in your daily skincare routine. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Can I use the carrot oil in the day time? Because I am using Vitamin c serum in the night. Please advise. Thanks