Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Natural ways to improve sleep and reduce stress
A poor night’s sleep and an inability to cope with stress usually go hand-in-hand, so it is important to find ways to combat both.
Natural remedies are a great way to do this and there are plenty of therapies and herbal oils out there that can really help.
Meditation is a really great way to fight stress and prepare the body for a restful night’s sleep.
Jillian Lavender, director at LondonMeditationCentre.com, explained: "In just a few minutes of meditating, oxygen metabolism drops to a level that is many times deeper than the deepest point in a night’s sleep.
"This profound rest creates the conditions for deep rooted stress and fatigue to be released from the body. Then when we go to bed at night our sleep can be more restful."
According to Ms Lavender, this occurs because the normal purification process that takes place during sleep has occurred through meditation, giving the body the chance to relax. By combating tiredness, individuals are better placed to deal with daily stresses.
Yoga is a great way to help restore the body’s balance, which can help people give more appropriate responses to stress, Charlotte Watts, a nutritional therapist, yoga teacher and co-author of The De-Stress Diet (www.de-stressyourlife.com), explained.
Doing this exercise can calm the nervous system, thereby relieving tension, headaches and muscle pains, which all prevent the body from sleeping.
However, many people feel intimated joining a class but there are plenty of yoga for beginners sessions that are a great introduction to the exercise.
Herbal remedies are a brilliant way to stop the symptoms of stress and improve sleep. Whether burnt through incense or taken via a drink, it is worth checking to see what’s out there.
Lavender is known to help calm the body and burning a candle with the scent while having a nice warm bath is incredibly relaxing.
Saint John’s Wort, also known as Hypericum, is also used to combat stress. It also has antiseptic properties, which are beneficial when treating burns or sores.
Alternatively, try a Valerian & Passion Flower Herbal Drink, which is designed to calm the nervous system and facilitates a good night’s sleep.
Posted by Freya Harper
- Wholefood CalmaidAs low as £13.00
- Carrot Oil for Face Which essential oil is best mix with carrot oil for face and body
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi Praise, Carrot oil, which is a carrier oil does have a slight ability to protect skin from the sun. However, it does not clear sunburn from your face or any of the oils you have mentioned. Coconut oil, Aloe Vera or Calendula oil might help. You can also apply essential oils that help sooth sun burn with either jojoba oil or sweet almond oil. The best essential oils for this would be lavender or peppermint. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Please, can I mix tumeric oil, carrot oil, jojoba oil and sweet almond to clear sunburn on my face
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi D, indeed there is conflicting information on whether Shatavari can be taken during pregnancy or not. Some studies showed that Shatavari can affect milk supply during lactation, and that Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) has possible teratogenicity so it should be avoided in pregnancy. Other studies showed that Shatavari is an ingredient in most herbal teas which are recommended to be taken during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I would recommend that you consult your GP or a qualified herbalist who deals with pregnant women before taking anything, in case you are already taking some supplements/ drugs or herbs to help with your pregnancy.
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi, there's conflicting information whether this can still be taking during pregnancy. What do you suggest as I use your brand and trying to conceive?
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Dear Fatima, thank you for your message. For your type of skin Almond oil is ok -- its comedogenic level is 2 out of 5, it means it's not going to clog your pores. If you are looking for something even lower on that scale, you should go for Argan, Rosehip, Grapeseed, Hemp -oil which are 0-1. I hope this helps.