Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Nutrients that can help our eyes
The American Optometric Association has put forward some recommendations for the sorts of food that have nutrients in them which can help with the health of eyes.
Interestingly, it notes that its most recent American Eye-Q survey found that 49 per cent of its American sample thought carrots were the food that was best when it came to eye health.
But the Association says that even though carrots are a source of beta-carotene, a substance that’s essential when it comes to night vision, the foods which are healthiest where eyes are concerned are found elsewhere in the vegetable section of the supermarket.
Leafy dark green vegetables like spinach are the foods that take the crown when it comes to being healthiest for your eyes, it says.
The reason? These foods have high levels of zeaxanthin and lutein in them.
These antioxidants are two of the six nutrients which the association says have been shown to help promote healthy eyes and protect vision.
The others are Vitamin E, Vitamin C, essential fatty acids and zinc.
Our bodies do not create these nutrients on their own, meaning incorporating them into our diets every day is important, it advises.
Being deficient in zinc, for example, could mean people end up with poorer night vision or cataracts. As a result, the Association says that eating things like whole grains, baked beans or poultry each day is important.
People can help reduce the chances that they will get eye condition AMD (age related macular degeneration)
by eating “one cup of colourful fruits and vegetables” four times weekly, it also suggests.
Veggies that fit into this category include kale, broccoli and green beans.
Meanwhile Vitamin C-rich fruit and veg like oranges can make a difference in bringing down the chances of getting AMD or cataracts, it says.
If, after you’ve washed your hair with organic shampoo in the morning, you would normally drink coffee or tea with breakfast, why not switch to fresh orange juice for a Vitamin C hit?
"More than two decades of extensive research have provided a better understanding of how diet and nutrition can not only keep our eyes healthy, but reduce the risk of certain eye diseases as we age," explained AOA president Ronald L. Hopping.
"From dry eye to age-related eye diseases, research shows that nutrition plays a critical role in maintaining the health of our eyes."
- Pure MCT Coconut Oil 100ml Fresh-Pressed (Organic)50% OFFSpecial Price £5.00 Regular Price £10.00
- Coconut Organic Oil Virgin Fresh-Pressed50% OFFAs low as £3.00 Regular Price £6.00
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you Emiliano for your comment. In this blog we are referring more to oils, more so than butters and while we agree with you Shea is an excellent emollient for hair, it's consistency is more buttery and it is used more as a leave-in remedy to smooth hair texture. We have suggested Coconut oil as it helps slow down hair loss by penetrating deep into your hair shaft to prevent protein loss, which in turn prevents breakage. When applied to your scalp, it simultaneously moisturises and removes build-up around your hair follicles to encourage hair growth and is one of base oils always used in Ayurveda for hair treatments. As this post is more focused for hair and not for skin, the comedogenic scale applies to skin/pores and not hair follicles. Thank you again for your feedback.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Hello Zu, yes hair loss can be very stressful and this in turn amplifies the cause almost.. Perhaps with Covid, your system may have been depleted of nutrients and fighting the virus can take its toll on your immune system, so sometimes our hair and skin suffer when we have been ill. We really believe in oils for scalp massage as the best way to revive the growth and help regenerate the follicles. It may be also worth at looking at internal supplements and making sure you are getting enough of omega oils, perhaps plant based such as nuts and seeds in your diet. For external oil treatment, would recommend the Really Good Hair oil which we create with Brahmi, this herb is known to help bring the scalp back to health and improve growth. Biotin is also a good vitamin to take as a supplement to help with hair growth so do look into that. So hope these tips will be helpful for you.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?I, am very surprised that your article did not include Organic Shea Butter and that coconut oil, is your number one choice for hair growth and thickness. According to the comedogenic scale, coconut oil, has a rating of (4), on a scale from (0), to (5), on clogging your pores. Why would anyone put coconut oil, on their hair or skin knowing the pores will get clogged up. Shea Butter, on the other hand has a (0), rating on the comedogenic scale, which is great for dry hair and skin and won't clog up your pores.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you for your very informative article. I suffered COVID in December, 2020, and in February I started experience extreme hair loss and all my hair jus falls like a person who is under going Chemo therapy. It's very depressing. Had to cut off all my hair and even the little that is left is falling off daily not sure what to do. Please suggest something.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) You can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning/during the day since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. You can also mix a few drops of Carrot Oil with your favorite face cream. You can do that at least twice a week or include it in your daily skincare routine. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Can I use the carrot oil in the day time? Because I am using Vitamin c serum in the night. Please advise. Thanks