Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Red velvet cupcakes with avocado icing
By Sophie Leaver
Health & Wellbeing Writer
These cupcakes are the perfect way to use Christmas colours without relying on artificial colouring and additives.
By using beetroot and avocado, you’re sneaking in some nourishing ingredients that nobody will even notice.
Ingredients for the cupcakes
2 large beetroots
¼ tsp. salt
2½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup coconut sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup coconut oil, melted
¾ cup almond milk
1 tsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the icing
2 ripe avocados
1 Tbsp. ghee, softened
½ tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar (plus a little more if needed)
Pinch of salt
1. Wrap the beetroots individually in tinfoil with a teaspoon of coconut oil and a splash of water. Place the wrapped beetroots on a baking tray and roast in the oven at 180C degrees for 30 minutes, or until soft. Set aside to cool.
2. In a large mixing bowl, place the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
Peel the beetroots, then blend in a blender or food processor, until pureed. Add the milk, coconut oil, eggs, vinegar and vanilla extract to the puree.
3. Slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined.
4. Scoop the batter into 12 cupcake liners or greased cupcake tray.
5. Bake at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into one of the cupcakes. Set aside and let cool.
6. Using a whisk, beat the avocado and ghee until combined.
7. Next beat in the vanilla, salt, and sugar until you reach a thick, spreadable consistency. Decorate with anything you like from chocolate hearts to coloured sprinkles.
8. Once the cupcakes are cooled, ice them, and serve.