Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Sleep expert offers advice on waking up
If you often find yourself feeling so sleepy that you can’t respond to the morning alarm, your body may well be sending you the message that you need an earlier bedtime.
That’s the message from the sleep expert Kevin Morgan who works at Loughborough University’s Clinical Sleep Research Unit.
“Waking feeling refreshed and able to face your day is the hallmark of good quality sleep. If your alarm rings, it’s telling you to get up,” the expert has said.
”But if your body is frequently too sleepy to respond, it’s probably telling you to go to bed earlier.”
However, fans of the duvet will doubtless be pleased to hear that the expert also suggested that staying in bed for a spell once the alarm has gone off is okay, provided you are feeling alert, thinking about things and making preparations to leave the comfort of your bed.
Such a post-alarm lie-in is able to be helpful, he said, adding: “But if you’re too sleepy to get your mind and motivation into gear – you should really consider what’s going on with your life and your sleep.”
Mr Morgan was responding to Premier Inn research findings showing that on average Brits’ alarms go off at 6.22am, after which they take ten minutes to leave their beds.
A large 50 per cent admitted to having gone through the experience of sleeping through an alarm at some point.
A tenth of the sample had missed an interview because of this, with a quarter having missed the train or bus that they would have travelled to work on.
Six out of ten participants said they use the alarm on their phone and a twentieth of them claimed to set three alarms as a way of ensuring they would be woken up.
Several varieties of sleeper were pinpointed by the study, including ‘just one more minute-ers’. These guys go to sleep again after the the alarm sounds, but then do get out of their bed when the alarm sounds again.
Meanwhile, ‘eternal snoozers’ keep pressing snooze over and over.
If you’re using a phone as an alarm, why not check out the different alarm tones that it offers?
By picking one you like, you might feel a little better when it wakes you up than you would if the sound you’re using is not to your tastes.
- Wholefood CalmaidAs low as £13.00
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you for your very informative article. I suffered COVID in December, 2020, and in February I started experience extreme hair loss and all my hair jus falls like a person who is under going Chemo therapy. It's very depressing. Had to cut off all my hair and even the little that is left is falling off daily not sure what to do. Please suggest something.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) You can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning/during the day since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. You can also mix a few drops of Carrot Oil with your favorite face cream. You can do that at least twice a week or include it in your daily skincare routine. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Can I use the carrot oil in the day time? Because I am using Vitamin c serum in the night. Please advise. Thanks
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) Carrot Oil contains Beta Carotene and Vitamin A which, by eliminating toxic build-up and repairing sun-damaged skin, helps to improve skin complexion. Antiseptic properties also assist in reducing breakouts and the formation of acne. It is also great for hydrating the skin. So mixing it with Jojoba oil may help. I would also recommend mixing Jojoba oil and Tamanu oil as both have great moisturising properties and are great for acne prone skin. Hope this helps!
- Carrot Oil for Face I have acne. I have been using jojoba oil only but I noticed my face is sometimes dry. If I add carrot oil will it help moisturize my face and clear the spots or should I join argan oil to the mix?
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyI found a supplement that is 500 mg, 120 Count. Do you recommend taking 1 capsule daily? or 2 capsules? I also take thyroid medication and an SSRI among other things.