Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Solve your winter skin with shea butter
Winter skin can affect everyone, even if you don’t tend to have dry skin throughout the rest of the year. A combination of wet weather and cold temperatures saps moisture from your skin, which can leave it dry, red and sore. Luckily there are some fantastic natural products that can help protect it and keep it looking radiant, one of which is shea butter.
Shea butter is a naturally moisturising product that is extracted from the karite tree, which is found in West Africa. It is basically the fat of the nut that grows on the tree and has been found to have an amazing number of benefits for the skin and hair.
What makes it perfect for lending a helping hand to winter skin is the fact that it calms and heals the skin, as well as moisturises it. It has a high number of fatty acids and other naturally occurring oil-soluble elements. These elements add moisture and lock it into the skin, allowing it to penetrate deeply and benefit multiple skin layers.
These elements also encourage the skin to heal itself, which can reduce the appearance of scarring and marks that are caused by skin conditions - including psoriasis and eczema. Inciting skin cells to repair themselves faster means that shea butter can also be used on cuts and burns to promote swift healing.
As well as containing these oil-soluble elements, shea butter contains a number of different types of cinnamic acid, which serve as anti-inflammatories. When applied to the skin, these cinnamates help to reduce any redness, which can also help to promote healing. This means that shea butter - when used in moderation - can also help those that suffer from acne as it helps reduce swelling in the pores.
Vitamins A and E are also present in shea butter, which further help its moisturising properties. Vitamin E has long been used as a treatment to help maintain a glowing and even complexion, so it stands to reason that shea butter will provide the same result.
If you are finding that your skin is getting dry, take action early on to prevent any further moisture loss. Applying shea butter, or products that contain shea butter, can help your skin to remain healthy throughout the winter months.
More information about Shea butter benefits
- Carrot Oil for Face Which essential oil is best mix with carrot oil for face and body
- Carrot Oil for Face Hi Praise, Carrot oil, which is a carrier oil does have a slight ability to protect skin from the sun. However, it does not clear sunburn from your face or any of the oils you have mentioned. Coconut oil, Aloe Vera or Calendula oil might help. You can also apply essential oils that help sooth sun burn with either jojoba oil or sweet almond oil. The best essential oils for this would be lavender or peppermint. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Please, can I mix tumeric oil, carrot oil, jojoba oil and sweet almond to clear sunburn on my face
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi D, indeed there is conflicting information on whether Shatavari can be taken during pregnancy or not. Some studies showed that Shatavari can affect milk supply during lactation, and that Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) has possible teratogenicity so it should be avoided in pregnancy. Other studies showed that Shatavari is an ingredient in most herbal teas which are recommended to be taken during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I would recommend that you consult your GP or a qualified herbalist who deals with pregnant women before taking anything, in case you are already taking some supplements/ drugs or herbs to help with your pregnancy.
- Shatavari benefits for WomenHi, there's conflicting information whether this can still be taking during pregnancy. What do you suggest as I use your brand and trying to conceive?
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Dear Fatima, thank you for your message. For your type of skin Almond oil is ok -- its comedogenic level is 2 out of 5, it means it's not going to clog your pores. If you are looking for something even lower on that scale, you should go for Argan, Rosehip, Grapeseed, Hemp -oil which are 0-1. I hope this helps.