Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Tips for coping with the Christmas hangover
Christmas is fantastic for a number of reasons, one of which being the amount of mulled wine, sherry and other drinks on offer.
However, with the tipsy nights out and the booze-fuelled parties comes a bit of a sore head in the morning.
Before reaching for paracetamol or other chemical-filled pain relief, try these natural hangover remedies.
Alcohol has a tendency to dehydrate an individual, so lots of drink can make you seriously dehydrated - adding head pain to the general aches and pains of a hangover.
"Alcohol is a diuretic and, as your pounding headache and dry, fuzzy mouth are partly due to dehydration, drinking water will help speed your recovery," explains Dr Sarah Brewer, a medical nutritionist.
She advises to sip water little and often all day long to get at least two litres of pure water on board.
It might seem like the last thing that you want to do, but eating breakfast is the key to a hangover-free day.
Nutritionist Yvonne Bishop-Weston advises that people have a fruit smoothie as soon as they wake up.
Filling this smoothie with bananas is particularly beneficial, as excessive alcohol intake can eliminate your body’s supply of potassium, a void that bananas can quickly fill.
After the smoothie, Ms Bishop-Weston recommends having something full of protein.
"It could be eggs, kippers, something along those lines - it is surprising, although it might feel like it is going to turn your stomach, people really do feel better," she said.
In particular she recommends eggs because they are high in omega-3, the essential fatty acid that help reduce the symptoms of a hangover.
Just like the banana, honey is rich in potassium, as well as a number of other antioxidants which help alleviate the pain the morning after.
If you can't face eggs in the morning, a bit of honey on toast could be a perfect hangover cure breakfast.
Posted by Freya Harper
- Carrot Oil for Face Thank you for your message. Cold pressed carrot oil protects and preserves the nutrients of the carrots. Since the cold press presses the produce to extract the oil, no heat is involved. ... You get 100% of the vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and nutrients when you apply cold pressed oil on your face. Frying grated carrots which involves heat and oil will remove some of those nutrients. Hope this helps.
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyVery well written article indeed. Thank you for elaborating on so many levels and aspects of it.
- Carrot Oil for Face hello there, must i used only cold-pressed carrot oil on my face? Does frying the grated carrots in coconut oil still maintain the nutrients necessary for the face?
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Dear Rose, Thank you for your message. You can mix equal amounts of Pomegranate seed oil and Rosehip oil.You can add 3-4 drops from each, mix and apply on your face. Hope this helps.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hello Fushi, could you Kindly advise exactly how many drops of oil should I use to mix to mix pomegranate and rosehip oil?
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Hello Asma, Thank you for your message. Being a carrier oil, Pomegranate oil is safe to apply on the skin without dilution. However, because of its richness it is often used at dilutions of approximately 5-15% in skincare formulations. Combining Rosehip oil and pomegranate oil will give you a deeply nourishing blend of particularly antioxidant- and vitamin rich oils. It may also support scars, wrinkles and premature ageing. Hope this helps.