Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Top 10 age defying foods
By Suzanne Laurie, Nutritionist
Forget cosmetic surgery, the elixir of life is probably sitting in your fridge! Some foods are fantastically age defying, and better still, all are delicious, and some a bit naughty!
Blueberries are full of antioxidants, including vitamin C, vital for helping to mop up chemicals called free radicals in our bodies. Over a lifetime, the cellular damage caused by free radicals mounts up and can cause many health problems. Vitamin C also helps make collagen, the body’s natural scaffolding, found in bones and skin.
Carrots contain the antioxidant, beta-carotene, thought to help prevent and the spread of some cancers, particularly cervical and lung cancers. It protects your heart and circulatory health, too. Women who eat at least five carrots a week are nearly two-thirds less likely to have a stroke than those who eat them once a month.
Every time you tuck into your favourite curry, you may be diminishing the risk of developing Alzheimer’s. Studies have found that a chemical in turmeric called curcumin, is effective in blocking the development of this degenerative brain condition.
Soya is full of potent antioxidants called flavonoids, which protect against many types of cancer including those associated with increasing age such as breast and prostate. Try soya milk, ice cream and yogurt instead of dairy.
Green tea also contains flavonoids and helps kick starts your liver’s detoxification system. It’s protective against heart disease and cancers, lowers cholesterol, reduces the risk of stroke and even combats the bacteria that cause tooth decay.
Another high flavonoid food. Chocolate also helps keep blood pressure healthy and may even activate the immune system against cardiovascular disease and arthritis. But don’t overdo it! Chocolate also contains lots of fat and refined sugar, which are bad for you.
Replenishing moisture lost throughout the day is critical to your long term health. Drinking eight glasses of water per day can improve your memory, , ward off disease, ease joint and back pain, and enhance the glow of your skin.
A glass of red wine every few days may protect against heart disease. Alcohol stimulates insulin activity so you need less to keep your blood sugar stable. Moderate drinkers tend to have higher levels of healthy HDL cholesterol than non-drinkers. But moderation is the key: too much alcohol can seriously reverse these benefits.
Garlic can all help the liver eliminate toxins and free radicals. Garlic is also known to help protect the heart, reduce cholesterol levels and stimulate the immune system. Unfortunately over consumption may not win you many friends!
Nuts & Seeds
A handful of walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or linseeds contains high levels of omega 3 fats, which are great for your heart and have been shown to help maintain good brain function and ward off Alzheimer?s disease. Raw, unsalted nuts and seeds are best.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you Emiliano for your comment. In this blog we are referring more to oils, more so than butters and while we agree with you Shea is an excellent emollient for hair, it's consistency is more buttery and it is used more as a leave-in remedy to smooth hair texture. We have suggested Coconut oil as it helps slow down hair loss by penetrating deep into your hair shaft to prevent protein loss, which in turn prevents breakage. When applied to your scalp, it simultaneously moisturises and removes build-up around your hair follicles to encourage hair growth and is one of base oils always used in Ayurveda for hair treatments. As this post is more focused for hair and not for skin, the comedogenic scale applies to skin/pores and not hair follicles. Thank you again for your feedback.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Hello Zu, yes hair loss can be very stressful and this in turn amplifies the cause almost.. Perhaps with Covid, your system may have been depleted of nutrients and fighting the virus can take its toll on your immune system, so sometimes our hair and skin suffer when we have been ill. We really believe in oils for scalp massage as the best way to revive the growth and help regenerate the follicles. It may be also worth at looking at internal supplements and making sure you are getting enough of omega oils, perhaps plant based such as nuts and seeds in your diet. For external oil treatment, would recommend the Really Good Hair oil which we create with Brahmi, this herb is known to help bring the scalp back to health and improve growth. Biotin is also a good vitamin to take as a supplement to help with hair growth so do look into that. So hope these tips will be helpful for you.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?I, am very surprised that your article did not include Organic Shea Butter and that coconut oil, is your number one choice for hair growth and thickness. According to the comedogenic scale, coconut oil, has a rating of (4), on a scale from (0), to (5), on clogging your pores. Why would anyone put coconut oil, on their hair or skin knowing the pores will get clogged up. Shea Butter, on the other hand has a (0), rating on the comedogenic scale, which is great for dry hair and skin and won't clog up your pores.
- Which is the best oil for hair growth and thickness?Thank you for your very informative article. I suffered COVID in December, 2020, and in February I started experience extreme hair loss and all my hair jus falls like a person who is under going Chemo therapy. It's very depressing. Had to cut off all my hair and even the little that is left is falling off daily not sure what to do. Please suggest something.
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) You can use carrot oil only in small drops on your skin in the morning/during the day since it is highly potent. Carrot oil is rich in vitamins and is a very effective moisturiser. You can also mix a few drops of Carrot Oil with your favorite face cream. You can do that at least twice a week or include it in your daily skincare routine. Hope this helps.
- Carrot Oil for Face Can I use the carrot oil in the day time? Because I am using Vitamin c serum in the night. Please advise. Thanks