Cookies on fushi.co.uk
Top benefits of using the NETI POT
Not just for clogged sinuses – improve skin tone, reduce tension and anxiety
Written by: Ernesta Stripeikaite
Health & Wellbeing writer
Neti pots have been used for centuries in Indian medicine called Ayurveda. Luckily the practice of nasal irrigation is becoming increasingly popular in the West. More and more people are experiencing the benefits of Neti pots.
Who would benefit from using the Neti pot regularly?
People that suffer with:
How does it work?
- Improving cilia
Neti pot works by thinning the mucous in the nasal passages to help flush it out. The tiny, hair-like structures called cilia that line the inside of the nasal and sinus cavities wave back and forth to push mucous either to the back of the throat where it can be swallowed, or to the nose to be blown out. Chronic sinus problems may cause the cilia to beat in a slow and uncoordinated way.
Irrigation with a saline solution can help increase the speed and improve coordination of the cilia. In turn they become more efficient at removing bacteria, allergens, and other irritants that cause sinus problems.
- Efficient drainage
Using the Neti pot stimulates the tear ducts and glands which exerts a relaxing and irrigating effect upon the eyes. Regular practise of nasal irrigation maintains healthy secretory and drainage mechanisms of the entire ear, nose and throat area.
- Anti-ageing, de-stressing, balancing
You probably would not have thought that regular practice of Neti can help relieve muscular tension of the face which helps to keep the face looking young and wrinkle-free. Relieving muscular tension also has a soothing, relaxing effect on the mind and can help reduce emotional tension and the symptoms of anxiety and depression, and also improve mental clarity.
Nasal irrigation promotes a balance between the left and right nostrils, and in turn - the left and right hemispheres of the brain. This induces a state of harmony and balance throughout the entire central nervous system which essentially regulates the rest of the body. Interestingly, the frontal lobes of the brain, responsible for the higher mental abilities, begin to function optimally.
How to use the Neti pot?
- Boil some water and let it cool down to body temperature
- Dissolve ½ teaspoon of good quality salt (sea salt or Himalayan)
- Tilt your head over the sink to about 45-degree angle. Put the tip of the nozzle into your top nostril and gently pour the water into that nostril.
- Keep your mouth open and breathe through your mouth. The water will flow through your nasal cavity and out through the other nostril.
- Blow your nose to get rid of any remaining liquid
- Refill the Neti pot and repeat the process on the other side
- Carrot Oil for Face Hello :) Carrot Oil contains Beta Carotene and Vitamin A which, by eliminating toxic build-up and repairing sun-damaged skin, helps to improve skin complexion. Antiseptic properties also assist in reducing breakouts and the formation of acne. It is also great for hydrating the skin. So mixing it with Jojoba oil may help. I would also recommend mixing Jojoba oil and Tamanu oil as both have great moisturising properties and are great for acne prone skin. Hope this helps!
- Carrot Oil for Face I have acne. I have been using jojoba oil only but I noticed my face is sometimes dry. If I add carrot oil will it help moisturize my face and clear the spots or should I join argan oil to the mix?
- Ashwagandha Dosage for AnxietyI found a supplement that is 500 mg, 120 Count. Do you recommend taking 1 capsule daily? or 2 capsules? I also take thyroid medication and an SSRI among other things.
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHello Dia, Thank you for your comment. Research is confusing when it comes to testosterone levels with PCOS and using Ashwagandha. As it is an adaptogenic herb, it will 'adapt' to the environment of the body to support hormonal balance. A huge therapeutic benefit of Ashwagandha is its ability to balance cortisol levels, which could improve stress and symptoms of PCOS also. If you are currently using any medications or under medical supervision, please seek advice from your practitioner to ensure there are no interactions. I hope this helps :)
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenIs ashwagandha is good to be taken to increase height who have testosterone level high along with pcod ?
- The amazing Ashwagandha benefits for womenHi Simie, thank you for your message. Ashwagandha is safe to be taken alongside other supplements including Vitamin E and Calcium. We would advise you check with your GP for interactions with estrogen medications for menopause as there are different variations of these medications. I hope this helps :)