Cookies on fushi.co.uk
What are the benefits of flaxseed oil?
Many people take flaxseed oil to help keep them healthy but what exactly are some the benefits of the oil for the body?
What is flaxseed oil?
Flaxseed Oil derives from a blue flowering plant grown on the Western Canadian Prairies and is also known as Linseed Oil. Often used in cooking, it is praised for its high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to be integral to the body's health.
Restoring digestive balance
High in dietary fibre, flaxseed oil has a cleansing affect on the digestive system and is recommended for those with conditions like irritable bowel syndrome and diverticular disease.
It works by easing the passing of stools through the intestine and thus relieves constipation. By making stools softer, it is also a good natural supplement for those with haemorrhoids or anal fissures.
What's more, it can keep intestinal pouches free of waste for those with diverticular disease and this will help to prevent infection.
A boost for the skin
Flaxseed oil is full of essential fatty acids, which work with the skin to treat common complaints, such as acne, eczema, psoriasis, sunburn and rosacea.
Its anti-inflammatory properties can cool and sooth the skin when irritated. What's more, it thins out oily sebum, which clogs pores and causes spots.
Lignans, an essential fatty acid contained in flaxseed oil, can also protect against some of the affects of ageing on the skin.
In addition to helping skin fight the signs of ageing, lignans are also potent hormone balancing essential fatty acids. This means that they hold benefits for treating an array of symptoms associated with male and female hormones.
Working together with plant estrogens in flaxseed oil, lignans can stabilise the estrogen-progesterone ratio in women. Additionally, it can add balance to the menstrual cycle and relieve the hot flashes associated with the menopause.
It is also thought that flaxseed can help to treat fertility problems by improving uterine function.
In men, essential fatty acids will help to prevent the inflammation of the prostate, keep sperm healthy and improve blood flow to the penis. This can reduce infertility and impotence.
Posted by Matilda Jones
- Black Cumin Seed Organic Oil Virgin 100ml Fresh-PressedAs low as £16.00
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Dear Fatima, thank you for your message. For your type of skin Almond oil is ok -- its comedogenic level is 2 out of 5, it means it's not going to clog your pores. If you are looking for something even lower on that scale, you should go for Argan, Rosehip, Grapeseed, Hemp -oil which are 0-1. I hope this helps.
- The Rosehip Oil Diaries- Entry 1Hi, would it be advisable to use almond oil on acne prone skin. I have a little bit of acne but have lots of dark spots left by acne.
- Ashwagandha benefits for menThanks for this great article. I have begun to take Ashwagandha, and my husband asked if it might be good for him too. Looks like it is, so thank you for the info.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil Hi Lin, Fushi's pomegranate seed oil is a non-standardised, unrefined and natural oil. Each batch varies and displays a set of unique characteristics. This is simply down to our oils never being refined, deodorized or filtered.However, you will still be getting the same great quality and benefits from the oil.
- Carrot Oil for Face In the process of making In the process of making my carrot Oil today on low heat, the carrot turned brown unlike other days when I do it myself. Hope the oil will still work on my face and skin.
- The Great Pomegranate Seed Oil my pomegranate seed oil is light golden color(not paler) could it be a good quality?